Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-06-03, 04:42 PM   #1
sphere

Default Tired of reinstalling gfx driver. Work-around possibilities?

I'm getting tired of having to reinstall the driver for my TI4200 every time I compile a kernel different from the current version. Even 2.4.22->2.4.23 "breaks" X.

Maybe a solution can be to install the driver for a new kernel version, mv it to nvidia-<kernel_version> and have a script symlink the right driver to nvidia at boottime?

Does anyone else find this tedious? Is this a feasible solution, or does anyone have a better one?
sphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-03, 10:40 PM   #2
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

That would be an overly complicated approach. Better is to develop a source package and reinstall using that, on boot.
Or as one guy did, to write a script for /etc/rc.d/rc.local to run a check on the nvidia module loading, and recompile if it failed. The script was posted here, but would need custom modifications for your setup (I commented on the thread, a search should turn it up).

Add the source to your kernel tree and Makefile? A build script to compile / install it after the kernel has completed?

Any different kernel version, whether small change or large, will break the module loading. It must be compiled for the specific kernel headers it is intended to work with. You'd still need to recompile the module for every new kernel you compile.