Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: Should Nvidia Put their source under the GPL?
Yes 90 68.70%
No 21 16.03%
Well, at least explain why they haven't. 20 15.27%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-21-05, 04:08 PM   #37
tonicwasser

Default Re: Poll: GPL nvidia Driver

Hi Thunderbird, can you point me to the info for the nForce SATA controller - especially information regarding NCQ and hotplug? Jeff Garzik cannot seem to find that information.
You mention the ethernet controller has been reverse engineered, but why oh why can I not use gigabit speed and hardware assisted firewall like my Windows cousins?

Yes, some of the stuff may be encumbered by IP rights, but why not even release information for the "generic stuff" as you say? Why is all hardware by NVIDIA somehow IP encumbered, when Intel, Via, Sis, Uli et al can release lots of information? It may be right - but it sounds a lot like BS.

Yeah, yeah, "second-rate", "not optimal", "tomaito", "tomaato". Whatever.
tonicwasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-07, 11:31 AM   #38
B1gW1g
*BANNED*

I can understand to a certain extent nvidia not wanting to open their drivers but i do believe that they could help and work with the open sourced community much better than they do at the moment , case in point being nvidia settings , i cant see the harm in this becoming open sourced so that we can see profiling for different apps and better intergration with desktop envs ( i dont like the fact that nvidia-settings is now in control of my desktop res and colour depth )

/me starts the "open nvidia-settings campaign"

EDIT: wth are all these little adverts ? i DONT like!!!
B1gW1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-07, 12:02 PM   #39
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

B1gW1g,
nvidia-settings is already open-source.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-07, 12:23 PM   #40
m-singh

I am not a GPL fanatic. I simply realize that GPL'ed software tends to be stable, secure and functional if the hardware specs are known.

I know many of you have read what I am about to say many times, and are sick and tired of it, but I will state this here for the record :

Nvidia has to realize that it will boost its sales (which are from hardware) if it had stable, fully functional and secure drivers. How it goes about trying to achieve that goal is completely up to Nvidia as the drivers, the hardware specs, etc. are its intellectual property, and only Nvidia has the legal or moral right to make such decisions. The present form of closed source is clearly not working. For months (and while this might be acceptable for some people using Windows, this is just unheard of in Linux), critical bugs in widely used software that are Nvidia's drivers, go unfixed. Users are asked for bug reports, log contents, etc. but this just keeps on happening. Consider the bug that afflicts my laptop - the lack of ability to hibernate - does it get more idiotic than this ? I have a LAPTOP (not a desktop where it might not matter) that I cannot for love or money hibernate. It suspends to RAM fine, but some of us have to continue our work at home and at work. Hibernate is a non-negotiable capability for a laptop. Intel's drivers have simply no issues (at least none in my experience) with hibernate. The extra acceleration that I get is worth nothing if I cannot hibernate my laptop.

So, nvidia either needs to :

1. Open source its drivers so that the developer community can fix it. It does not need to be GPL, any open source license will do; or,
2. Release the hardware specs so that open source nv and noveau projects can do the job - there is hardly a matter of competition here - Nvidia makes its money from hardware sales, not drivers, which are free for download. or,
3. Keep them closed source, work with laptop vendors and fix the damned bug.

I don't care how the thing is fixed, but the darned thing has to work.

This none of the above business is alienating Nvidia's loyal customers. I recently purchased some machines for work and made sure it had no Nvidia hardware in it. We went completely for Intel.

And if ATI goes open source as reports indicate, Nvidia is going to be DEAD in Linux marketplace. Which would be sad and ironic, considering that Nvidia was the first to release drivers for Linux. Which won it its solid loyalty (mine included) among Linux users. The choice is entirely Nvidia's.

As it stands, Nvidia is killing itself on the laptop business with mulish, self-destructive obstinacy.

I voted for the third choice - at least explain why you want to keep it closed source, without the seeming ability / alacrity in fixing the bugs. One can understand a few weeks may elapse between filing a bug report and having it fixed in stable drivers, but months ? And in some cases, pushing on a year or more ???
m-singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-07, 02:40 PM   #41
crow

There's also another option, which is to open-source part of the driver, but keep part of it a binary blob. And by "open source," they don't have to use GPL--they can use something that lets them incorporate changes into their binary drivers if they really want to, but doesn't let a competitor incorporate the changes into a closed-source driver.

If they want to keep the 3D stuff closed, that doesn't bother me, but there's a lot of other stuff (selecting video modes, etc.) that could be opened.
crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-07, 08:35 AM   #42
cellstije

Quote:
Originally Posted by crow
There's also another option, which is to open-source part of the driver, but keep part of it a binary blob. And by "open source," they don't have to use GPL--they can use something that lets them incorporate changes into their binary drivers if they really want to, but doesn't let a competitor incorporate the changes into a closed-source driver.

If they want to keep the 3D stuff closed, that doesn't bother me, but there's a lot of other stuff (selecting video modes, etc.) that could be opened.
I totally agree with your pov.
It would be good at least if they could open the specs to allow modesetting and power management to be implemented in the opensource drivers (nv and nouveau). I would like to see most of what Keith Packard describes in his blog (http://keithp.com/blog.html) for nvidia cards as well. Especially for all class of laptop cards (not only the last models (gf7/8 variants). And it wont happens very soon without some goodwill from nVidia.

After years of "nVidia support" we are hearing just now about some plans for improved power-management and GO class card support (Andy Ritger interview: http://www.abclinuxu.cz/clanky/rozho...nvidia?page=1). I hope (again) that this wont happen only for new cards - because if i have to change my whole laptop to get the desired features ... well, it will have an intel GPU (965 at least).

c.
cellstije is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-07, 08:50 AM   #43
crow

I would also point out that if nVidia were to release full specs for older cards, they could drop the driver support without generating ill will.
Old 06-15-07, 11:50 AM   #44
tld

At this point, I'd use any nvidia driver, including one bought off some guy on the street, if it would only display 1080i content properly at 1080i via the DVI output...without tearing issues, and without having to deinterlace with the player. Seriously...I can't tell you how this depresses me. It's the only major flaw I have in a massively expensive MythTV system, and if nVidia never addresses it, I have to settle for what I've got.

Tom
tld is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-07, 11:59 AM   #45
crow

I agree on the 1080i issue. I've had good luck with the 8776 driver for 1080i on a 5200 card. Of course, this has been talked about extensively in other threads.
Old 06-16-07, 01:43 AM   #46
mooninite

The nVidia guys already get harassed about opening up their driver... check out the following link:

http://www.phoronix.com/?page=news_item&px=NTg0MA

The usual excuses about IP and patents and other stuff are... quite honestly BS. It's people that have an ounce of programming knowledge that start rumors about "IP" and "patents" when they hardly know what a Hello World program is.
mooninite is offline   Reply With Quote