Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-28-02, 07:53 AM   #13
SnakeEyes

Send a message via ICQ to SnakeEyes
Thumbs up

Sorry Corporal Dan, but these crappy optical mice have come a long way from when they first hit the market.

BTW guys, from reading recent reviews, the new Logitech MX series rock. One even compared it to his previous favorite mouse- the dual optical (which is what I use right now), and said it was even better, despite only having one LED and sensor combo on it vs. the DO's 2. It looks like I'm adding a new mouse to my next upgrade. The fact that it's got 8 buttons total is a plus, of course (though he says that all 8 can't be assigned in games at the moment).

A mouse is something I can actually afford to buy and take back if it doesn't meet my expectations, and I don't usually have to spend hours or days to decide whether I like it or whether it's working the way I like it to- ie. things like mouse lag or jumpiness in my games or on the desktop normally jump right out at me.
Old 09-28-02, 12:12 PM   #14
Creole

Send a message via AIM to Creole
Default MX

I ordered the Logitech MX300 yesterday. From the reviews, it looks like the MX's are really good. I wish I would have know this before.
Creole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-02, 02:08 PM   #15
druga runda
Zeus Gromovnik

Mnd my MS explorer optical drains batteries as if they were those mini watch ones

no really, a pair a month almost.

Logitech cordless ballmouse lasted me with one battery the whole year...
druga runda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-02, 08:02 PM   #16
StealthHawk

Default ball mice vs optical mice

so you guys would say that your standard optical mouse is actually better for gaming than a standard ball mouse?

let's not get into the discussion of whether or not optical mice are as good as say a Boomsland, just a regular ball mouse.
Old 09-28-02, 08:41 PM   #17
CainSyris
This is MY boomstick!

I read the review posted above and kept thinking, "Why is he comparing a state of the art Logitech mouse against a year old Microsoft mouse?" I mean, seriously, that ambidexturous (sp?) mouse is the one I've been using for about a year or more and he's like, "This mouse is laggy and so Microsoft mice all suck. Buy Logitech. Worship Logitech. Logitech is my god!"

Bah. You want a real review, he should be comparing the new MS mice to the new Logitech mice, not the year old MS mice to the new Logitech mice. He could at least pull out an Intellimouse 3.0 corded and test it if he wants to test real responsiveness.

And yes, I do happen to have the ambi-mouse Optical (by MS) and the Intellimouse 3.0. I was using the ambi-mouse simply because it was smaller than the ungainly Intellimouse Explorer 1.0 until at last they released the sleek and superior in every way Intellimouse 3.0.

I cannot imagine a finer mouse than the Intellimouse 3.0 and I should add that neither of mice have died yet. I suppose the only way to improve this mouse is

1) Bluetooth enabled
2) recharger stand with *good* rechargeable batteries built in
3) wireless

I've heard that Microsoft is to release a new wave of peripherals based around Bluetooth soon (if they are not out already), so that's what interests me. Logitech mice have features which depend upon software which is bloated and takes up too much memory for what little they actually do. Microsoft mice just work, even without the Intellisoftware and before you say it, yes I know MS makes the OS. Which is why I like their mice for controlling said interface.

Now as for new features, revolutionary new features, I can only think of a few, I suppose. But these aren't exactly "around the corner," as you might say. It could have motorized wheels and play games for me, while doing warcries through a small speaker built into the base. It could even self-click. That way, when I'm thirsty, it could play the games FOR me whilst I go to the store. I could get back and find that my Intellimouse Explorer 4.0 is actually a better Unreal Tourny 2003 player than me.

"BOO-YAH! Light's out!"

Or

(To borrow a line from a recent X-Box Game)

"You want a piece of me? Here, have the whole damn pie!"

I could attach the mic input of my sound card to the mouse's output jack and let others think that my mouse is really me. You could call it, "Intellicurse 1.0." A new feature, exclusive to MS. "Intellicurse 1.0 gives you the opportunity to curse your opponents in new and interesting ways iwthout actually having to move your mouth or think. This new technology, exclusive to Microsoft Intellimouse series mice, allows you to be the awesome jibba-jabber that you've always knew you could be, but now with the awesome MS voice of your choice. The Intellicurse technology gives you three exciting voices to choose from, which more on the way. Are you the California girl slayer? "Get out of my slay-ground!" The manaical villain? "How I ache to smash you out of existence! To DRIVE your cursed face from memory forever!" Or the reluctant hero? "Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun." Buy a new Intellimouse Series 4.0 mouse, complete with Intellicurse 1.0 technology, today from a retailer near you. And remember... we care. Microsoft. Where do you want to frag today?"
CainSyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-02, 08:47 PM   #18
The Baron

Logitech Wheel Mouse Optical Special Edition... double the DPI of standard Logitech mouses, and it's red. 3 buttons, good shape, etc. al.

I swear by it.
Old 09-28-02, 09:55 PM   #19
SnakeEyes

Send a message via ICQ to SnakeEyes
Thumbs up

LOL@CainSyris. Dude, take a valium.

And yes, I consider both the opticals I use routinely to be better than the ball mice I've owned. (Those being namely, the same ambidextrous Intellimoose 5 button that Cain mentioned, as well as my newer Dual Optical). The drivers for Logitech do usually, as I mentioned, cause some headaches until you've figured out the proper installation and settings that THIS particular install wants from the same version driver on the same version OS with the same software. Other than that (or once you manage to experiment your way past that), it's great.

BTW, whether you liked that article or not (it IS personal opinion, , after all. The feel of the mouse is guaranteed to be), I found out something new from it. Two actually. The first is that the new MX mice are at least on par with my Dual Optical (and despite what CainSyris thinks, it's an excellent mouse if you don't need to plug the blender into it), also supporting extra buttons (more is better in most online FPS, especially the way I bind my weapons. I like to 'group' my weapons in UT, so that I can pick weapons from each group more easily on the fly, and since I don't use the standard WASD keys, but instead use the arrows, the mouse buttons are more convenient, leaving me to use the kb for movement things mostly). The more bindable buttons, the more specific my groups can be. For instance, I have instant hit weapons on one button, area damage weapons on another, scroll up gets me a certain mix of instant hit, scroll down gets a different mix, and I still get alt-fire on the right button and primary fire on the main button. With a few additional buttons I'll probably have close-in weapons (instant hit and area), as well as mid-long range weapons on the additional buttons.

The second thing the article alerted me to was that Logitech has newer drivers out than I've been using. I downloaded them and installed them, and Eureka. They seem to have fixed my issues with the scrollwheel in games completely. Since I haven't had the need to reinstall WinXPPro lately, I don't know if they're gonna be as quirky from install-to-install as the prior driver revisions though, and that's the only reason I leave my qualifier about the drivers and getting different results on each install in my posts (like above).