Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-12-03, 07:13 PM   #1
Deek

Default Display refuses to work no matter what I do

Hi,
I can recall having this problem for probably around 6 months now, without having any significant help on it at all. I would install the GLX and Nvidia kernel for my GeForce FX 5200 Ultra, and that would run as smoothly as can be. Then, I would edit the XF86Config files as indicated and follow the procedures as they are stated. I'd double check to make sure I didn't skip anything, and I would proceed to issue the startx command. I will describe what happend next in as much detail as possible, as it's actually quite hard to describe and that people I try telling it to always get confused: First of all, there isn't any noteable problem with actually issuing the startx command. That seems to run fine. But it seems to happen when it tries to load X with the nvidia drivers. The screen flickers, and just for the split of a second you can see some kind of screen of sorts (a blueish color) before it blinks into nothing. Then, after 2 seconds or so, a bunch of discolored jarbled up text appears on my screen. I can't kill the X server, type anything in, or whatever of that matter. All I can do is issue reboot (ctrl alt del), which seems to be the only function that I can find that works. What I could tell from the jarbled text, though, was that there where a couple of ASCII characters randomly scarbled amongst the text (or what seemed to be text, actually, it was just a bunch of white charcter blocks with some strange dithering added to them) that seemed to try to take the shape of a box. So I'm supposing it was supposed to display some kind of error message, but failed to do so and somehow screwed it up. Also I should note was that sometimes I would 2 or 3 red inverted !s scatter all around the screen, as well as some green and blue junked characters, too. That seems to be the problem. Then, I tried troubleshooting. Anything appearing strange in the XLog? No. That says it loads everything up fine. Did you try issuing startx with a verbose? Yes. It still said the same thing, almost identically. Recheck the the config file? Well, what I did, was perform a series of tests to see if blocking anything out would make any noticeable changes. Assuimg that it was a framebuffer issue, I blocked out the DBE module (load dbe) and tried it. Same results. Added it back in, same results. So I was really aimed on questioning the frame buffer, since the jarbled text seemed to have the same character formatting as a VGA terminal (the one that's used before xdm come up or when gentoo is loading), and I was supposing that it was telling me something about the frame bugger. So I reconfigure the kernel with EVERYTHING conserning frame buffer devices (in the console section), and tried starting all over again and issuing startx. Now something strange happens. Instead of giving me the jarbled text problem, it just gives me a plain blank screen. I still can't kill the X server though, as it happens to freeze, so I just issued alt ctrl del again. Then I tried blocking out the dbe extension in the config file WITH all of the frame buffer options compiled. And, as I assumed, it still gave me a blank screen. So then I was just thinking that maybe it takes a while to let the X server load, so I take a break for about 5 - 10 mins and I come back. It's still gives me the blank screen. Tried it without the dbe, same thing. Though I haven't disabled ALL of the options for the frame buffer (making it unsupporting of frame buffering AT ALL), since I'm just going to assume that isn't going to work as well. I've also done the following:
attached mem=nopentium. Same results
Tried possibly all of the config options concerning my display. Same results
I'm running on a AMD Duron 1.1ghz. My graphics card is attached via AGP. I'm thinking that it's probably just my monitor (Toshiba Tekbright 510V. Probably had it for 4-5 years now.) or something, sincle if my graphics card didn't work AT ALL for linux, then I probably wouldn't be able to type this right now . Someone gave me some advice that it's just the 3D acceleration that's the problem, and my graphics card works just fine without using the nvidia acceleration drivers. I've attached the XFree log and config file for you guys to look. I'm REALLY desperate for a solution to this. Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: txt xf86config.txt (14.7 KB, 120 views)
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-03, 07:14 PM   #2
Deek

And here's the log
Attached Files
File Type: log xfree86.0.log (22.4 KB, 114 views)
Old 12-13-03, 01:08 AM   #3
Deek

Nevermind, I found a fix. If anyones interested in the procedure, please let me know.
Old 12-13-03, 02:05 AM   #4
nexus32

Unhappy

Good god man what is that fix you found? Please post it for that is also my problem. PLEASE!!!!!

Signed,
I am so frustrated
nexus32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-03, 02:57 AM   #5
Deek

Well, I just simply looked in my BIOS and switched the option PCI IRQ TO VGA? (or something like that) from "no" to "yes" and viola! It worked.
Old 12-13-03, 03:24 AM   #6
nexus32

I'm sorry to be a pain but could you be more detailed on what you changed? Thanks!
nexus32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-03, 04:12 AM   #7
Sir_Brizz

Send a message via ICQ to Sir_Brizz Send a message via AIM to Sir_Brizz Send a message via Yahoo to Sir_Brizz

This might sound stupid, but have you tried updating your BIOS?
Visiontek GF4ti4600
SB Audigy 1 (w/ 1394)
Sir_Brizz is offline   Reply With Quote