Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-26-02, 07:44 PM   #25
nin_fragile14
Fat Tuna

I agree about the CPU vs. Video card upgrade, snakeyes. I had my Geforce 3 for a 1.5 years, and could have easily held on to it till Doom 3, which would have made it about 2 years old. However, my 1.33 ghz Athlon was making new games very choppy, and when I upgraded my CPU, everything became smooth again, on the same video card.

I plan on keeping this 9700 for about 2 years. I don't think that's an unreasonable estimate. I'll probably upgrade my CPU around 4 ghz, and ride it out till then.
Old 09-26-02, 07:51 PM   #26
SnakeEyes

Send a message via ICQ to SnakeEyes
Thumbs up

Probably not a bad idea nin_fragile14. From what I've seen of the benchmarks of UT2003 so far (both on my system and online (pre)views), the game seems much more limited by the processor than by the video cards, whether we're talking about GF3, GF4, or the 9700. The flyby scenes give the best estimate of what the video cards can do right now, and even with 4xs and 2x aniso on my Ti4600 I'm seeing close to 100fps at 1024x768 using the standard benchmark executable for the flyby. On the other hand, the botmatches do a very good job of showing how the processor is limiting the overall output when doing AI and such. I'm guessing that all three of the cards I mentioned above will work extremely well for this game, and upgrades to newer cards, while probably helping some (the 9700 is showing some boost over the GF4, after all, though it appears small when all other components are the same), but the processor upgrades will continue to help increase performance a LOT more. (Snake looks forward to the Barton cores for now..)
Old 09-27-02, 12:37 AM   #27
DXnfiniteFX

Yes, processors tend to age MUCH faster than games. The 4600 will play still be able to play much better if it had a fast CPU feeding it, such as a shiny 4.0 Ghz Prescott. Most video cards are hampered by strained CPUs. Video card longevity actually seams to last much longer these days, at least until new version of DirectX are being released. Prices are also skyrocketing WAY too high. I shudder to think about the system needed to play UT2003 fast with settings maxed.

Anyone that has the full game of UT2003, set every option in the detail option to "highest" and turn every eye candy opiton on there is. You'll get a REALLY GOOD LAUGH, trust me
845-D
GeForce 4 Ti 4600
Sound Blaster Live!
80 GB 7200 RPM
DXnfiniteFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-02, 03:39 AM   #28
SavagePaladin
info*****

been there done that, wasn't that slow (with a hacked engine in the demo)

As to the DS thing, I think 1.11 has all international versions.
___
speaking of, NOLF 2 wins my vote. I love good SP, and NOLF was my favorite.
SavagePaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-02, 06:36 AM   #29
Smokey
Team Rainbow

Quote:
Originally posted by SavagePaladin

___
Thanks for the info on DS, but that is English version only. I checked the DS US site and there is like 3 patches, go to the French site and there is 0 patches. It kinda sux for my brother inlaw cos he loves the game alot.
| Intel Q9550 @ 4GHz | Gigabyte EP45 UD3R |4x 1024MB OCZ Reaper PC9200 DDR2 | Seagate 320GB/ Maxtor 320GB/ Maxtor 500GB HDD|Sapphire HD5850 | Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Pro | Harmon Kardon AVR135 reciever | Jamo S718 speakers | 42" Plasma 720p (lounge room)-Samsung P2450H (bedroom)
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-02, 08:44 AM   #30
SavagePaladin
info*****

Quote:
Originally posted by Smokey

Thanks for the info on DS, but that is English version only. I checked the DS US site and there is like 3 patches, go to the French site and there is 0 patches. It kinda sux for my brother inlaw cos he loves the game alot.
I think you can get the international on Zonematch, but I'm not sure...
lemme check
____
Today we are announcing the release of the Dungeon Siege Update v1.11. This update is for all versions of Dungeon Siege, including international releases.

yep, you can get it somewhere...
Old 09-27-02, 09:10 AM   #31
DXnfiniteFX

Quote:

___
I meant in the full game. You are likely to get it, SavagePaladin. Once you do, set every option available to highest and every optional eye candy to on. You'll get a big laugh, trust me And besides, it's on store shelves (at least some) today, so go check this Epic joke out As for your performance numbers, SavagePaladin, the demo half has half the resolution. The full game will have twice the image quality. Now THAT is what I'm really worried about.

Bye the way, is the UT2003 engine better and more optimized that what was shown to us in the demo? What I mean is, will it run faster with more detailed textures and more optional geometry?
845-D
GeForce 4 Ti 4600
Sound Blaster Live!
80 GB 7200 RPM
DXnfiniteFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-02, 12:10 PM   #32
SavagePaladin
info*****

the demo wasn't slow. but the AI is much better.
And yes, its optimized further.

As far as I can tell, the full game isn't actually in stores yet....as far as I can tell.........

But saying 'you'll get a big laugh' is based on what, the leak from 5 months ago? yeeeeah...thats accurate

Old 09-27-02, 02:26 PM   #33
SnakeEyes

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by DXnfiniteFX
...it's on store shelves (at least some) today...
Where? I've called around every store in my area, and nobody has it in stock yet. Most are saying it's due in their store either the 30th of September or the 1st of October (Monday / Tuesday next week). I want this game.
Old 09-27-02, 02:35 PM   #34
Nephilim
Slacker extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally posted by SnakeEyes

I want this game.
Well...duh!
Nephilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-02, 02:44 PM   #35
SnakeEyes

Wink

Hey, I gotta express my enthusiasm, since I can't seem to find it anywhere nearby yet. And that still doesn't tell me someplace that has it nearby.
Old 09-27-02, 04:41 PM   #36
Smokey
Team Rainbow

Quote:

I think you can get the international on Zonematch, but I'm not sure...
lemme check
____
Today we are announcing the release of the Dungeon Siege Update v1.11. This update is for all versions of Dungeon Siege, including international releases.

yep, you can get it somewhere...
Ok thanks Ill tell him to give it a go this weekend, let you know how it goes. I did look on some French sites but couldnt turn up anything, all the forums went dead at the end of July/early September.
| Intel Q9550 @ 4GHz | Gigabyte EP45 UD3R |4x 1024MB OCZ Reaper PC9200 DDR2 | Seagate 320GB/ Maxtor 320GB/ Maxtor 500GB HDD|Sapphire HD5850 | Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Pro | Harmon Kardon AVR135 reciever | Jamo S718 speakers | 42" Plasma 720p (lounge room)-Samsung P2450H (bedroom)
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote