Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-25-02, 09:05 PM   #1
volt

Default Mandrake Linux 9.0 (Dolphin) now available | comments?

As a result of more than four years experience and continued innovations, MandrakeSoft is proud to announce the release of Mandrake Linux 9.0. This newest version of our flagship product delivers an unparalleled level of technology for desktop users in addition to extensive and unique server features. Affirming its leading position in the Linux desktop arena, Mandrake Linux 9.0 introduces many newly redesigned graphical desktops and configuration utilities. The famous "Mandrake touch" is evident throughout the many clean, attractive and friendly desktops to make everyday tasks easier for all users of a Mandrake system.

Although Mandrake has been a long-time leader in the Linux desktop field, the numerous high-end server features available in Mandrake Linux 9.0, combined with the most extensive beta-testing period in MandrakeSoft's history, will make Mandrake Linux 9.0 the ultimate server solution for corporate users, government agencies and education environments.

System overview

Mandrake Linux 9.0 features the following software:

Kernel 2.4.19
XFree 4.2.1 & XFree 3.3.6
Glibc 2.2.5
GCC 3.2
KDE 3.0.3, GNOME 2.0.1, IceWM 1.2, WindowMaker 0.8, Enlightenment 0.16.5, BlackBox 0.62
OpenOffice.org 1.0.1, KOffice 1.2
Mozilla 1.1, The GIMP 1.2.3, XMMS 1.2.7

Mandrake Linux 9.0 is optimized for Pentium and higher processors (and compatibles), and therefore does not run on earlier x86 processors.

Although I haven't installed Mandrake in a long time, I feel that this distro is the most popular one out of them all. It is mainly used by people who are either trying to install Linux for the first time, or people who use it as a secondary (or primary) operating system. In a nutshell..."Dolphin" is out, comments are welcome
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]

Last edited by volt; 09-25-02 at 09:13 PM.
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-02, 09:44 PM   #2
netviper13
Treehugger

All I can say is SWEET! I should be getting my WD 120gb HDD in tomorrow, and I'm gonna dual boot Win2k and now Mandrake 9. Hopefully by Monday I'll be able to tell you how everything went.

This should be a great test to see if it's a good distro, because it's my first time installing Linux, so hopefully it's user-friendly.
netviper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-02, 11:57 AM   #3
Matthyahuw

Send a message via ICQ to Matthyahuw Send a message via AIM to Matthyahuw Send a message via Yahoo to Matthyahuw

DL'ing now...but RH8 should be out Mon, and I think I'm gonna go with that...but we'll see how Mandrake goes, cuz I had some SEVERE issues of being locked out of my own mounts, even as root!!!

Can't wait until KDE3.1 tho, that's gonna ROCK!
Old 09-27-02, 12:54 PM   #4
de><ta
prodigy

Are you downloading from the mandrake site? It is annoying you have to pay in order to download it. I am getting the cd's for it from my department.

Locked out of your own mounts....? Dont know. When you are logged as the root Mandrake give you full authority to tamper even with you ms partions.

The latest xfree is probably what is the best about this distribution. I heard that it should streamline some of the boot up problems (mainly with the time it takes) considerably.

As for the new look, it is awesome.

I should be able to give you a low down with some screen probably by next week. IT EVEN WORKS ON THE SUNS with the appropriate drivers !!!!

///m-powered | Intel i7 920 | EVGA x58 | 6GB DD3 1600 | EVGA GTX 285 SSC | 150GB VelociRaptor

Drag racing is for fast cars. Autocrossing is for fast drivers.
de><ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-02, 02:58 PM   #5
Matthyahuw

Send a message via ICQ to Matthyahuw Send a message via AIM to Matthyahuw Send a message via Yahoo to Matthyahuw

got it from SuNet...never had an issue with them...160Kb+ constant...
ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/Linux/distributions/
They have every distro there, and all the betas too...
Old 09-27-02, 03:02 PM   #6
Matthyahuw

Quote:
Originally posted by de&gt;&lt;ta
Locked out of your own mounts....? Dont know. When you are logged as the root Mandrake give you full authority to tamper even with you ms partions.
I've tried everything, when I first come back off of install, the mounts are there on the desktop, I click on em...nada no permissions...so I login as root, nada, no permissions...other people in the forums couldn't figure it out either, and it happend to me with more than 1 version, so I'm kinda weary about doing this...
Old 09-27-02, 03:37 PM   #7
volt

Here is a good mirror:

ftp.stealth.net port 21
path:
/pub/mirrors/ftp.mandrake.com/Mandrake/iso/
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-02, 05:49 PM   #8
Matthyahuw

Just tried it...not bad...setup is real cool, love the software installer (mandrake config thingy). Put my scanner in right away! no issues, no terminal!
Had the issue of being locked out of my CD, but then it went away
We'll see if it comes back...

Audio is good, just need to customize some stuff, and it's all good!
I'll play with it some more later...goin out tonite...

Old 09-30-02, 12:05 PM   #9
Matthyahuw

any last comments???

**UNSTICKIED**
Old 10-17-02, 12:22 PM   #10
drowis

I am a first time linux user. I have 2 machines at home so I can afford to spend the time to learn I have tried Red Hat and it didn't like me at all. I now have Mandrake 9.0 install and it like's me better but not enough. I am now haveing some type of config problem with my nForce nic card. (see other posts) when this is fixed I will let you know from a NOOB point of view.
drowis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-02, 10:13 PM   #11
MadHacker

I had MDK 9.0 installed for a week or so. I thought it was pretty good. The installer was painless. My M$ shares were mounted after the first re-boot and folder sharing worked well, even Web sharing (nice feature). The only devices that didn't work were my Sandisk card reader and Agfa Scanner. They showed up in usbview, however no access to them. The only major hangup I had was no way to disable the x server on login. Not a big deal really until I tubed the Nvidia driver install (wrong kernel ver ). All in all it is a very good distro for the configuring challenged newbie. Lots of Wizdrakes to use.