Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-02-02, 03:02 AM   #13
R1CH
ROTL(1,(W[i&15]^W[(i-14)&

I just installed the kx drivers.

www.kxproject.com

After a few initial problems, they are absolutely great. All my games work with them, audio is noticably 'cleaner' and that's about it really.

Of course your milage will vary, friends have tried these and got BSODs, but for me they are amazing. The only missing thing (for now) is AC3 support, but my media player can mix the AC3 to stereo so it's not too big an issue at the moment.
R1CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-02, 08:18 AM   #14
Fluke

WAhahaha, someone is making hacked drivers of Creative Labs own!?? omg!! lmao...Let me guess, a former employee disgruntled cuz Creative laid him off or fired him. I don't know anyone sane enough to help a company like Creative Labs. (sudden feeling of sickness, must go puke)

I'm running now at 1280x960 with everything turned on including complete full sound in BF now with an almost constant 85FPS.

I am now 100% sure that the problems with BF are virtually all Creative related. Since getting rid of my Audigy my game barely ever slows down and I'm not pulling anyones leg. My game is incredibly smooth. ****, I don't even need any patch anymore aside from hit prediction. SOF2 is incredibly smooth, even smoother than it was before.

This weekend I want to put some high voltage through my Audigy card and watch it burn. Maybe even tape myself burning the Creative box it came in right after we electricute the card. Tape it all and send it back to Creative.
Fluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-02, 09:54 AM   #15
thcdru2k

Send a message via ICQ to thcdru2k Send a message via AIM to thcdru2k

no its basically unlocking alot of features on the sblive thats useful for computer musicians.

11118 3DMarks
thcdru2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-02, 10:21 AM   #16
R1CH
ROTL(1,(W[i&15]^W[(i-14)&

Quote:
Originally posted by Fluke
WAhahaha, someone is making hacked drivers of Creative Labs own!?? omg!! lmao...Let me guess, a former employee disgruntled cuz Creative laid him off or fired him.
Umm, read the site much? These are independently created drivers for the emu10k1/2 chipsets, not 'hacks'. Their main purpose is for musicians as they provide many advanced DSP effects and routing capabilities as well as lower latency than the CL drivers. The authors are focusing on support for musicians, but the directsound compatibility works well enough for me.

After the recent 'DRM' license in the creative drivers and poor compatibility with many of my games I was actually thinking about getting a santa cruz based card. The kx drivers fixed all my problems once I had them set up and working and they aren't forcing restrictive licenses on you just to get your hw working. I'm gonna donate $5 to their cause since they saved me buying a new card just to avoid creatives crappy drivers (not much I know but I already blew my student loan on an upgrade )
R1CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-02, 10:31 AM   #17
volt

To my knowledge, SBlive cards (4.1) are decent. I have a box with one and I never had a problem with the drivers. I'm using old drivers and I'm not planning on updating them. Drivers that came with 4.1 were good enough. Now things have changed since 5.1
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-02, 10:33 AM   #18
volt

Quote:
Originally posted by saturnotaku
Here's an easy way to solve all your problems. It's saturnotaku's 9-step method to Creative recovery:

1) Uninstall all Creative drivers - be sure to remove all files and registry entries from your system.

2) Open your case and remove your SB Live - be sure not to touch the PCB too much or else it may infect you with its disease.

3) Go to www.newegg.com and place your order for a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz or Hercules Fortissimo (or Game Theater) sound card.

4) Wait 3 days for FedEx to deliver your package. In the mean time download the latest drivers for the sound card you chose. www.tbeach.com for the Santa Cruz and www.hercules.com for the Fortissmo/Game Theater.

5) Insert new, non-Creative sound card into your PC.

6) Boot your PC and install the drivers you downloaded.

7) Fire up your favorite games and marvel in the phenominal (and bug/pop/click/distortion free) sound.

8) Kick yourself for not having done this sooner.

9) Swear you will never buy another Creative sound card as long as you live.

I was in the same situation as you were. With every Creative driver release, things started to get worse and worse, with both my Live and later Audigy. I said no more and purchased a Santa Cruz and I've never looked back. I don't care how good Creative's future products may look on paper, but their lousy driver/tech support has been enough to drive me away for good.
Will definetly follow those steps in feature
(unless nforce2 performs well)
After all, the last creative sound card I bought was a 4.1
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
Old 10-02-02, 11:14 AM   #19
Fluke

Live cards are not bad. I mean even after all these years even Creative Labs can get a driver done. But just because your applications/games work doesn't mean that the drivers are efficient or properly using resources. Audigy is horrid. Games are choppy sound breaks on games, there is breaks when playing MP3's and pops and cracks.

I got a Hercules and all my problems that I had with my Audigy are all gone now. I will never buy from Creative Labs ever again.
Old 10-02-02, 11:25 AM   #20
volt

I think you've said that quite a few times already.
I'm only saying that older cards from creative were decent. I mean SBlive 4.1 in this case. Drivers were _ok_ and I never had a need to update them to the current ones

Old 10-03-02, 04:53 PM   #21
PsychoSy

Send a message via ICQ to PsychoSy Send a message via AIM to PsychoSy

I...um...actually replaced my Santa Cruz with an Audigy...

*dodges assorted flying soundcards from Saturnotaku*

The Santa Cruz was great but the jacks started going bad. With my move to an SiS-based system, I wanted to give Creative one more chance. Aside from some minor crackling with the shipped drivers (which I fixed by replacing them with the Compaq WHQL drivers and replacing my "old and tired" Altec Lansings with some Creative Inspire 4.1s), the Audigy has been behaving immaculately.

Creative + VIA Chipset = horror
Creative + SiS Chipset = bliss.

Creative still sucks, however. My lack or problems probably stems from a combination of the SiS chipset (which has the best PCI implementation and arbitration in the whole business, according to TecChannel) and the fact that the Audigy is the only PCI card I have in my system.
Old 10-03-02, 05:08 PM   #22
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally posted by PsychoSy
My lack or problems probably stems from a combination of the SiS chipset (which has the best PCI implementation and arbitration in the whole business, according to TecChannel)
And who could forget nam^ng??'s championing of SiS chipsets either?

Me, I'm still on my humble VIA chipset so it is with the Santa Cruz I will stay until it breaks. I have my fingers crossed that this won't happen...ever.

And Sy - you will ph34r my flying soundcards of death! I will constantly hurl original SB Live shipping driver CD's at you until I cut your head off ala Odd Job in Goldfinger.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-02, 08:27 AM   #23
SavagePaladin
info*****

My nforce audio is wonderful, and I hate Creative.

Now that thats out of the way...

How do you guys *know* their hardware is that good. If their hardware wasn't that good, it would explain perfectly why they couldn't write good drivers.

I also noted the Live! had like 40007 different model #s which would explain why some hated it outright and some didn't mind it at all.
SavagePaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-02, 09:10 AM   #24
Fluke

Their technology is good...It should be, they bought up everyone in order to obtain it.

I believe it simply is a driver issue. Poor traffic management, bus noise etc. Even when the Live card was released driver support was pretty dismal at best and over time they eventually smoothed it out.

It's the same thing with the Audigy except I don't think they have really done too much focusing on it rather they are focusing on Audigy 2 and a bunch or more advertising to spam my magazines with new propaganda.

I'm more than 100% certain their software developers and driver writers are the most incompetent bunch of people I know. Then you got homo sexuals like Harvey Fong in the newsgroups who will ban you from the newsgroups as soon as he can't answer something.

You talk to their voice support and the retards on the phone have about the skills of a 2 year old on a computer and actually, I'm insulting a 2 year old. I think they know more.

I am devoted now to a complete hatred and negative review to anyone contimplating a Creative card. I hope that more people do the same.

I'd personally be happy to see stores have an equal amount of competitor cards and Creative cards. But a few local stores have told me Creative makes deals to have their products in their showcases, either throwing in free cards or giving them big huge advertisements that look good in their stores.