Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-04-02, 08:45 AM   #25
SavagePaladin
info*****

Thats one hell of an impressive amount of hatred. Wow.

If they didn't deserve it, I'd be slightly wierded out.
SavagePaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-02, 08:52 AM   #26
Smokey
Team Rainbow

Its funny how people still go on about Creative making bad cards and or drivers. This "crackling/noise" problem only came up with the Via chipsets, and VIAs chipsets are known to have a PCI latency issue. But you know, not everyone has these issues, there are alot, and I mean alot, of happy Creative users out there, me bieng one of them. Only once have I every had a problem with sound and my Live card, and that was with the first two sets of XP drivers, and ony in one game which could be fixed manually go going into the Creative control panel.
| Intel Q9550 @ 4GHz | Gigabyte EP45 UD3R |4x 1024MB OCZ Reaper PC9200 DDR2 | Seagate 320GB/ Maxtor 320GB/ Maxtor 500GB HDD|Sapphire HD5850 | Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Pro | Harmon Kardon AVR135 reciever | Jamo S718 speakers | 42" Plasma 720p (lounge room)-Samsung P2450H (bedroom)
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-02, 09:36 AM   #27
SavagePaladin
info*****

Hey I didn't have an issue either, but the sound quality flat out sucked....
and being the paranoid bastid that I am, I'm not ever gonna bother taking the chance.
Old 10-04-02, 11:04 AM   #28
SnakeEyes

Send a message via ICQ to SnakeEyes
Exclamation

No Smokey. That's untrue. While Via does have the known issue, the problems did NOT only happen on Via motherboards. I clearly recall the debates in another forum I used to frequent over the issue, and the people posting about the problem. Then again, there is also the fact that I had a Live. I used it through a few upgrades, including motherboards, and all were Intel BX chipsets (processors ranging from the Celeron 300A through the P3-450), and I had the issue at times. Thanks to the fact that the problem didn't always occur for me, as well as the fact that the hardware didn't change (the card..), and the chipset was the same, I tend to lean toward the crummy drivers.

The worst part is that the drivers that exposed the least of the Live's power had no issues. It was the later drivers, which supposedly added support for more of the true potential of the Live that started the crackling crap.
Old 10-04-02, 12:11 PM   #29
Starscream
Decepticook

Quote:
Originally posted by Smokey
This "crackling/noise" problem only came up with the Via chipsets
Not true. I've experienced the crackling audio on my intel 440BX system with an sb live value. One of the most problematic pieces of hardware I have ever used. I'd replaced it with something better but I just don't have the money.

edit - just noticed I wrote I'm instead of I've.

Last edited by Starscream; 10-06-02 at 05:33 PM.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-02, 12:57 PM   #30
Smokey
Team Rainbow

Sorry my mistake, its just that I recall seeing more about the porblem with SB cards and VIA chipsets sprawled over the net more than anything else Ive only had my SBLive in my two last pcs, first one used the AMD751 chipset the second is the one in my sig. My BX board had onboard yamaha chipset which was great. I am far from saying Creative are pefect, just pointing out that beacuse some people have problems doesnt mean everyone will. Its quite funny, in the shop I work at, the biggest pain in the butt that we find tends to be memory. We built pcs for the general public, 99% of the time people are just using the onboard sound so I havent seen many other pcs that use a SB cound cards, so my comments on the drivers and cards themselves are only from my own pcs. My sound is great for my needs, I know there will always be better as with everything, but for me im happy with my card.
| Intel Q9550 @ 4GHz | Gigabyte EP45 UD3R |4x 1024MB OCZ Reaper PC9200 DDR2 | Seagate 320GB/ Maxtor 320GB/ Maxtor 500GB HDD|Sapphire HD5850 | Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Pro | Harmon Kardon AVR135 reciever | Jamo S718 speakers | 42" Plasma 720p (lounge room)-Samsung P2450H (bedroom)
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-02, 07:09 PM   #31
SavagePaladin
info*****

Are you surprised? every issue that pops up involves VIA
Old 10-04-02, 07:12 PM   #32
thcdru2k

Send a message via ICQ to thcdru2k Send a message via AIM to thcdru2k

i don't think its via's fault, why do other soundcards don't have problems, its creatives. they should make their soundcard to work with via. its the most widely used chipset as well.

11118 3DMarks
thcdru2k is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-02, 07:29 PM   #33
SavagePaladin
info*****

Quote:
Originally posted by thcdru2k
i don't think its via's fault, why do other soundcards don't have problems, its creatives. they should make their soundcard to work with via. its the most widely used chipset as well.
The Acoustic Edge had related issues for a while....
but my AMD/VIA hybird board didn't seem to have the issue or something
Old 10-05-02, 11:10 PM   #34
PsychoSy

Send a message via ICQ to PsychoSy Send a message via AIM to PsychoSy

Quote:
Originally posted by saturnotaku
And Sy - you will ph34r my flying soundcards of death! I will constantly hurl original SB Live shipping driver CD's at you until I cut your head off ala Odd Job in Goldfinger.
Nah, like Kung Lao's hat decapitation from MK2

Saturnotaku Wins...Flawless Victory...Coaster-Ality!!

As for Creative's crackling problem, I've experianced it on ALi and VIA chipsets personally and know it also happened on Intel, AMD, and some AMD/VIA hybrids. The crackling issues are worse by far on VIA chipset, however. My belief is Creative dropped the ball in more ways than one and their dropping of the ball uncovered the knowledge that the chipset companies had dropped their respective balls as well. Mainly, the blame lays on Creative - a card is supposed to be compatible with a mainboard/chipset, not the other way around.

Last edited by PsychoSy; 10-05-02 at 11:16 PM.
PsychoSy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-02, 04:33 PM   #35
nin_fragile14
Fat Tuna

My 4.1 X-Gamer that I bought about 2 years ago has served me with. I've used it on 3 different motherboards and haven't had any crackling or freezing with it.

However, my brother got a SB Live Value for his KT133A motherboard, and it totally screwed up everything. Couldn't even install XP unless the soundcard was removed.
Old 10-07-02, 09:13 AM   #36
Stavros

Well I'm waiting for the Nforce 2 so I can dump both Creative and VIA, I think their as bad a oneanother. The way I see it, the less different components there are in my system the less problems I'm going to have.
the nforce will allow me to do this, though I'll always have a separate video card.

Machine Spec (all product names have been removed to protect the innocent from being called a fanboy)

a processor with the performance capability of 2.8Ghz, a motherboard, 1Gb of some make of memory, A video card (with latest drivers), A sound card and some other bits all in a case connected to some brand of monitor.
Stavros is offline   Reply With Quote