blueworm
[DEADAGAIN]blueworm

Default NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0269

ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/nforce/
blueworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-03, 05:59 PM   #2
tourettes

Send a message via ICQ to tourettes

I was so happy when I seen this, I was hoping my audio problem was fixed. It seems that it *may* be fixed, but I can't tell.

Before on the older drivers, i would insert the nvaudio driver with spdif_status="0", and when I started up quake3, it would seg fault on sound init.

Now, with these new drivers, quake3 initiates the sound, but I get no video, it just stays on a blank screen. There is no un-usual output to the console at all:

Quote:
----- finished R_Init -----

------- sound initialization -------
------------------------------------
----- Sound Info -----
sound system is muted
1 stereo
32768 samples
16 samplebits
1 submission_chunk
0 speed
0x4d5fa000 dma buffer
No background file.
----------------------
Sound memory manager started
Loading vm file vm/ui.qvm.
VM file ui compiled to 594408 bytes of code
ui loaded in 1963008 bytes on the hunk
35 arenas parsed
32 bots parsed
--- Common Initialization Complete ---
Just to test, i removed nvaudio and probed i810_audio, and opened quake3 again, and it started into the game normally. How would the audio drivers affect this?

For free Linux technical support, please visit our forums at The Linuxhelp Forums
tourettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-03, 12:12 AM   #3
blueworm
[DEADAGAIN]blueworm

Why are you setting spdif_status=0 ?
I dont have this module option set so it defaults to spdif_status=1
I was able to play quake3 but sound only came out of analog sound jack.
If you dont want spidif your better of with the alsa drivers.
blueworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-03, 02:03 PM   #4
tourettes

See, the problem is, whenever I run Quake3 using any sound modules (i810_audio, alsa intel8x0), i get lockups in Quake3 that locks my X-server cause me to Ctrl-Alt-Backspace. This happens constantly, And I can't figure out what is causing it. The only way I can run Quake3 and not get these lockups is if i either turn off the sound all-together, or run it through artsd (using artsdsp -m quake3), which is not acceptable obviously because of the aweful sound lag.

I pass spdif_status=0 to the module because of statements in the release notes for the driver.

Quote:
The "spdif_status" module parameter is used to enable or disable S/PDIF support in the driver. By default S/PDIF is enabled, but can be disabled by setting spdif_status to 0. The driver can only support 48kHz sample rate when S/PDIF is enabled, so disabling it will increase compatability with applications that make assumptions about what sample rates the driver supports.
I have followed the directions step by step on the alsa website for setting up the nforce audio.

For free Linux technical support, please visit our forums at The Linuxhelp Forums
Old 12-18-03, 02:07 PM   #5
midall

Default nvpanel

i have download the tar.gz packages but after make install there isn't a nvpanel application why?
sorry for my english
Old 12-18-03, 03:34 PM   #6
TheOneKEA
Fifteen-K Saiyan Bastard

Location: Somewhere in England, waiting for ROTK and drooling over the A64 3000+
Send a message via ICQ to TheOneKEA Send a message via AIM to TheOneKEA Send a message via Yahoo to TheOneKEA

Quote:
Originally posted by tourettes
See, the problem is, whenever I run Quake3 using any sound modules (i810_audio, alsa intel8x0), i get lockups in Quake3 that locks my X-server cause me to Ctrl-Alt-Backspace. This happens constantly, And I can't figure out what is causing it. The only way I can run Quake3 and not get these lockups is if i either turn off the sound all-together, or run it through artsd (using artsdsp -m quake3), which is not acceptable obviously because of the aweful sound lag.

I pass spdif_status=0 to the module because of statements in the release notes for the driver.

I have followed the directions step by step on the alsa website for setting up the nforce audio.
Perhaps that's it - I don't think Quake 3 supports a 48kHz sampling rate; the highest the 1.32b pointrelease will go is either 22kHz or 44kHz.

SCREW THE ADS! http://adblock.mozdev.org/
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire - Mozilla Firefox 0.8

Registered Linux User #289618
TheOneKEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-03, 03:43 PM   #7
tourettes

TheOneKEA - So what do you suggest?

Old 12-18-03, 03:49 PM   #8
TheOneKEA
Fifteen-K Saiyan Bastard

Location: Somewhere in England, waiting for ROTK and drooling over the A64 3000+
Send a message via ICQ to TheOneKEA Send a message via AIM to TheOneKEA Send a message via Yahoo to TheOneKEA

spdif_status=0.

Unless a later revision of either the GPL'd drivers or the NVIDIA drivers is able to expose a full range of sampling rates, so that Quake 3 can choose a proper rate and you can still use your 3|33+ digital connection.

Old 12-18-03, 04:00 PM   #9
tourettes

TheOneKEA: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...threadid=22262 , this is a rant i went on a few days ago, it also shows my progress using different things like spdif_status=0.

This seems pretty hopeless, and unfortunitly, i cannot afford to purchase a pci sound card right now

Old 12-19-03, 03:26 AM   #10
TheOneKEA
Fifteen-K Saiyan Bastard

Talking

http://www.streetprices.com/Electron...SP1233430.html