Old 12-20-03, 02:51 PM   #13
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick

Gee, everyone saw this comming!
Old 12-20-03, 03:44 PM   #14
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

Darn 3D Realms ! cancel this game & save us the trouble of these useless announcments!
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-03, 08:27 PM   #15
Sammy123

What 3rd engine? I know it was originally developed for the quake engine, then to the Unreal engine....what's the third?
Sammy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-03, 09:02 AM   #16
Morrow
Atari STE 4-bit color

Quote:
Originally posted by Sammy123
What 3rd engine? I know it was originally developed for the quake engine, then to the Unreal engine....what's the third?
There is no third conversion. Unfounded rumors say 3D Realms is currently changing the engine to the source engine or even D3 but there is absolutely no proof or confirmation of any kind from any 3D Realms employee.

Probably they stopped working on the game years ago; with a franchise like Duke Nukem you can earn money even without finishing the next great Duke Nukem game.
Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-03, 09:24 AM   #17
digitalwanderer

Does anyone know exactly or approximately how many people have been employed for how long to produce absolutely NOTHING?!?
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-03, 09:30 AM   #18
The Baron

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
Does anyone know exactly or approximately how many people have been employed for how long to produce absolutely NOTHING?!?
The continued production of Duke Nukem Forever is taking up a sizable percentage of programmers in this country, which is why you see more and more corporations outsourcing jobs to India. IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW!
Old 12-21-03, 09:49 AM   #19
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Quote:
Originally posted by Morrow
There is no third conversion. Unfounded rumors say 3D Realms is currently changing the engine to the source engine or even D3 but there is absolutely no proof or confirmation of any kind from any 3D Realms employee.
I thought they were origionally doing the game in their own engine, then moved over to the Unreal 1 engine, and then transfered over to the Unreal Warfare engine. While the UW engine is basicly an extension of the U1 engine, they probably had to change a lot, or at the very least change their maps so they aren't using such limited technology. In fact it wouldn't suprise me if they rebuilt everything for the UW engine, they don't seem to mind scrapping all their old work and starting over because of simple problems.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-03, 11:13 AM   #20
GlowStick
CoD4!

Quote:
Originally posted by Edge
I thought they were origionally doing the game in their own engine, then moved over to the Unreal 1 engine, and then transfered over to the Unreal Warfare engine. While the UW engine is basicly an extension of the U1 engine, they probably had to change a lot, or at the very least change their maps so they aren't using such limited technology. In fact it wouldn't suprise me if they rebuilt everything for the UW engine, they don't seem to mind scrapping all their old work and starting over because of simple problems.
No, at first it was on the Quake 2 engine, then the Unreal Engine, then i dont know after that, my GUESS is UW or their own.

Old 12-21-03, 12:06 PM   #21
Morrow
Atari STE 4-bit color

Quote:
Originally posted by GlowStick
No, at first it was on the Quake 2 engine, then the Unreal Engine, then i dont know after that, my GUESS is UW or their own.
jup, everything started with the Q2 engine.

first released DNF screenshot using the Q2 engine

Some time later 3D Realms released a second screenshot and then switched over to the Unreal engine
Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-03, 01:28 PM   #22
digitalwanderer

...then went in to a prolonged period of isolation briefly punctuated with some press releases that don't even make for very good jokes anymore.

This is damn near bordering on insulting the way they keep implying the game will ever see the light of day!
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-03, 01:43 PM   #23
GlowStick
CoD4!

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
...then went in to a prolonged period of isolation briefly punctuated with some press releases that don't even make for very good jokes anymore.

This is damn near bordering on insulting the way they keep implying the game will ever see the light of day!
aint that the truth, those pic's they released to firignsquad was it? were a joke, a massive joke, i dont see how the game is going to compete with Doom3 and Half Life 2 useing a 7 year old concept.

I bet you after they saw HL2's and Doom3's physics engine they said "whoa we need one, back to the drawing board"

witch they probly do, but never the less i bet DNF will suck bawls if it is ever released, witch i hope it isnt.
Old 12-21-03, 02:29 PM   #24
NAZCA M12
Master Thief

Ahh, i remember that one with the Hammer. In fact, i just recently found my lost PC Format Gold (Fall 1997), and it had a great article about approximately 10 games, that were probably going to be THE games of 1998. Games, like Thief, Max Payne (has anyone seen the first pictures of Max? Way before giving him the face of Sam Lake), SIN, Half Life. Well, all of them were released, half of them got a sequel (or they're close to getting one). The exception was DNF. In Fact, the dude writing the article was already warning that DNF might be the last one of the bunch getting released but, damn. I hope they never release it. It's pretty clear that they're kidding us. "When it's done". Meh
P4 3,2@3,85GHz - Asus P4C800-E - 2Gb DDR-500 OCZ - 2x WD Raptors (Raid 0) - Creative Audigy 2 - ATI AIW 9800Pro - Antec 550W - LG GSA 4163b - NEC ND-3540A - Viewsonic VG700 - Antec Plus 660 AMG - Creative Inspire T7700 - Win98SE/XP
NAZCA M12 is offline   Reply With Quote