Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-19-03, 05:15 AM   #1
splinter

Send a message via ICQ to splinter Send a message via AIM to splinter
Default x freeze

Hi,

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before and I'm duplicating here but I've searched the archives and couldn't find anything to help me. I've been having this problem since I put my machine together and it's rather generic and vague so I haven't had any success in solving it (also it means my description is going to be vague too, sorry).

I put together a machine with a GeForce 5900FX card. Under windows it seems to be stable (though I'm never in there for very long) but in Linux it crashes. And I don't mean X crashes, I mean the machine freezes up and I have to hold down the power button to get a reboot.

There appears to be no pattern to the crashes - it's been up for 7 days before, but then again it's crashes *whilst booting up* before too. It also has nothing to do with what's happening - i.e. I can run the most hardcore games and it doesn't even flinch. There is never anything in the logs to tell me what went wrong, the machine just stops responding.

Last week the machine got *really* unstable after re-installing the (current) nvidia drivers so I decided to see what the new beta ones are like. Now I'm back to the same level of instability as before. So I know it must be the drivers that are the problem.

I know this is all so vague and non-helpful but it's all I have to go on myself. I'm running X 4.2.1 and kernel 2.4.22-1-k7 with the new 4620 beta drivers.

If any one has any suggestions on what to try next (I've tried everything from disabling AGP to disabling Fast Writes and SBA) I'd really appreciate it. I'm kind of at the end of my tether here, it's very nerve wrecking knowing that your system can go at any time.
Old 12-19-03, 04:34 PM   #2
splinter

Default my config file

Hmm, no one seems to want to touch this for some reason. Well I'm attaching my config file anyway (forgot to before) incase that helps.
Attached Files
File Type: txt xf86config-4.txt (3.1 KB, 136 views)
Old 12-19-03, 09:44 PM   #3
thegreypilgrim

Default not sure...

Hmmm, not too sure on this one, but I know some people who had similar problems and fixed them by disabling acpi in the kernel, recompiling and that sort of thing. Worth a shot. Oh, and make sure you have mtrr support compiled in, don't see how you could ever install without it, but just checking. Good luck!
thegreypilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-03, 12:13 PM   #4
splinter

Okay thanx, yeah it's worth a try I suppose. I hate recompiling the kernel though, something always goes wrong