Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-19-03, 01:45 PM   #1
poursoul
i eat people

Default Good and Bad Doom ]l[ News.

Quote from here.

Quote:
1) The invasion begins not because the UAC accidentally create a gateway into hell as in the original Doom, but because their top secret teleportation experiments accidentally destroy an existing gateway (presumably between Hell and another dimension). So they gave the Hellspawn an excuse to invade, rather than actually allow them to.

2) The UAC Mars complex Doom 3 takes place in is called the Delta Labs, which logically suggests that there are Alpha, Beta and Gamma Labs too. Whether these will be part of the story or not is another matter, but even if they don't we're bound to see fan-made levels set in them.

3) It seems the UAC have been experimenting on dead Hellspawn, because in one level you come across a room full of glowing tanks filled with dead Demons. You have to make your way through them, with only the light provide by the tanks to guide you.

4) You'll definitely go to Hell at one point but it sounds like you return back to the Mars base afterwards, because you deliberately travel there to retrieve a certain item. Or perhaps you end up going to Hell more than once?

5) Willits "when you get to hell, you'll find your stamina is hugely affected. The environemt will be totally different and a ffects your movement around this world. We're leaning more towards crazy interactive puzzles, which will turn you in all sorts of different directions in order to make hell a really unsettling place - you never know what's going to happen next. The world is very dynamic and fluid, unlike the man-made areas on the base". Oh dear. This all sounds extremely worringly like Xen Lets just hope ID know better than Valve...

6) Hollenshead: "We don't have level music per se, like in Return to Castle Wolfenstein where you had independent audio tracks. We're going for more ambient sounds. There will be elements of music, but there's no soundtrack."

7) Trent Reznor's departure has FINALLY been officially confirmed. Hollenshead: "At one point, we thought we'd have a collaboration with him, but it ended up not working out for us."

Enemy AI won't be as basic as we've previously been lead to believe, with creatures acting dynamically according to both the environemt and your actions. Willits: "The Archvile can now call in monsters. If you walk into a room and there's a lot of overhead room, the Archvile may call in some flying creatures. But if you try and hide in the ducts, he'll try to call in some smaller maggot-like creatures to get you. Basically, he'll summon the type of creatures he needs to find or kill you."

9) All Hellspawn can see in the dark, "because they're from the depths of Hell. They can smell your fear."

10) As with switches, your gun disappears when you walk up to computer terminals. In this case though, a mouse cursor appears; the UAC computer GUI basically looks and acts like a webpage.

11) One new (i.e. not a remake of an original Doom (2) creature) enemy is the Vagary, a spider queen. She has the body of a spider and the torso of a female, and is equipped with a web and claw attack.

12) Judging by a screenshot included in the preview, not only can Trites crawl down walls, but they can also dangle from spider-like threads that emerge from their mouths.

13) Willits: "The UAC has always been very paranoid about their security. They were very concerned about their employees stealing technology, so they've hidden things within the base's infrastructure." In other words, original Doom style secret areas!

14) The BFG will far more closely resemble the one in the original Doom than the one in Quake 3.

15) You can knock down rockets with the plasma gun.

16) The Berserk pack is a cross between the one in the original Doom and Quake 3's Haste power-up.

17) Willits: "The Soul Cube is an ancient weapon, one created millions of years ago to stop the forces of hell. It was used in an epic battle of good versus evil long before earth was anything like we know it today."
Only thing that really blows me outa the water was number 7. In the back of my mind i was hoping it wasn't true.
poursoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-03, 02:21 PM   #2
schuey74
GTX 280 (675/1458/2500)

Hell sounds awesome! I can't wait.
schuey74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-03, 02:23 PM   #3
Voudoun

I understand Trent got to the point where Doom 3 would intrude on the next Nine Inch Nails album (rumoured to be called Bleedthrough) and that was the end of that. The same was true of Quake II I believe. Didn't he refuse that because he was working on Manson's Antichrist Superstar? A shame I know, but I find the thought of a Nine Inch Nails album more appealing than music for a game.

Voudoun
Voudoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-03, 02:32 PM   #4
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

I thought it was pretty well-known for a while now that Reznor was off the Doom project. I guess it was just an unsubstantiated rumor until now. Meh.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-03, 02:51 PM   #5
Nutty
Sittin in the Sun

Send a message via MSN to Nutty

Yep, the rumours have been around for about a year now. It 1st appeared on the NIN hotline website. Apparently Chris Vrenna of NIN is doing it now. Though nothings been confirmed.
Nutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-03, 03:19 PM   #6
Voudoun

Quote:
Originally posted by Nutty
Yep, the rumours have been around for about a year now. It 1st appeared on the NIN hotline website. Apparently Chris Vrenna of NIN is doing it now. Though nothings been confirmed.
Chris Vrenna left Nine Inch Nails years ago and now has an act called Tweaker. He's done some music for a game I know, but I don't think it's Doom 3. I might be remembering wrong, but I don't think so.

Voudoun
Old 12-19-03, 04:15 PM   #7
poursoul
i eat people

What your thinking of is Alice. Chris Vrena did the music for that ( and in my opinion did a great job.) I'm not dissapointed that chris will be doing it for Doom ]l[, just dissapointed that Trent Reznor isn't.
poursoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-03, 06:00 PM   #8
Voudoun

I've seen his name connected with a game more recently than that. It might be in the Nine Inch Nails hotline archives.

Voudoun

Old 12-19-03, 06:27 PM   #9
Nv40
Agent-Fx

well i think music can distract you from the game.. since the game purpose in doom3 is to scare you .if you observe that the most scariest movies ever made ..like Exorcist ..Evil dead.. and others there is no music at all in those films,but a cold silence.. ambient sounds is a diferent story.. here is where i think they will play an important role in the game.doors slowing opening.wind ,roars of demons ..etc.. Sounds effects are the most important for me.. the sound of weapons and other enviroment effects.. there is nothing that upset me more in a game that poor sound effects in my favorite Gun.. games like CAll of duty really shines here.. the sounds effects are simply amazing.. make you believe that you are really there ,where the game action in happening.

btw.. its painfull the waiting for doom3..... damn .. but i prefer a game really polished with fantastic gameplay in SP and MP ,than a rushed early game with mediocre gameplay. and give me the BFG gun of quake2 ,that was one of my favorites.. hehe..
Nv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-03, 07:03 PM   #10
Vash
Angel Arms

It all sounds great. I'm a little disappointed that you'll be returning to the base. It all sounds absolutely awesome, though. Everything I've heard tells me that Doom 3 is going to be awesome - polished, smooth and gorgeous. The only thing that I want from them now is a longer game. Hearing that it wasn't going to be "very long" doesn't bode well. I mean, I really like Max Payne 2, but I want Doom 3 to at least be longer than that.
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-03, 08:20 PM   #11
The Baron

Heh. Hell is drawing comparisons to Xen already. If anything, Hell will be something straight out of Escher, not a Mario 64 wannabe.
Old 12-20-03, 03:58 PM   #12
Tuork
Official pain in the ass

Send a message via MSN to Tuork

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
I really like Max Payne 2, but I want Doom 3 to at least be longer than that.
Ditto.

BTW, I posted a couple of days back asking for any news on the Doom saga's storyline... thanks for nothing people... (kidding)

Dimitri:
Dell XPS M1530
Core2Duo T5550 1.86Ghz | 3GB DDR2 | 8600M GT 256MB | 250GB Hdd | BenQ FP202W 20" LCD | MX1000 mouse | Inspire T5400 5.1
Tuork is offline   Reply With Quote