Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-28-03, 08:12 AM   #37
The Baron

I listened to Lateralus.

That sums up my Tool feelings pretty wel.
Old 12-28-03, 09:34 AM   #38
ragejg
nV News Alumni

Send a message via AIM to ragejg
Default ...

Grrr...

Author of that = teh st0op1d

What a waste of keystrokes...

2010-2011 Reviews: GTX 570 | GTX 580 | GTS 450 | GTX 460 | GTX 465
Pre-2010 Reviews: 6600 GT | XMS 4400 DDR | SilenX Cooler | 6800 | 5900 XT | Personal Cinema | 5900 NU

Phenom II x6 1090t @ 4.0 ghz | Asus M498TD-EVO Am3 SLI nForce 980a | 2x EVGA GTX 560 SLI | 2x4gb DDR3-1333 | Antec EarthWatts EA650 PSU | 60gb Mushkin Calisto Enhanced Sandforce SSD | 2x WD2500KS RAID 0 | Sunbeam Tuniq 3 case | 24" Asus 19x10 LED LCD | 26" Panasonic 720p TV | Sidewinder X5 mouse | Logitech MX5500 & Revolution mouse | Altec Lansing 5.1 THX-Certified audio | Win 7 Ultimate | desk | couch

ragejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-03, 10:12 AM   #39
Nephilim
Slacker extraordinaire

Default Re: ...

Quote:
Originally posted by ragejg
Grrr...

Author of that = teh st0op1d

What a waste of keystrokes...
Care to qualify that? I would be interested to see your take on it.

I listen to music for a living and I would have to say that while I won't say that Tool sucks (there are certainly worse bands out there) I would say that Tool does not do anything for me. I can see why people like them, but I cannot see why people like them as much as they do. To me, they're just another rock band. Don't get me wrong, I like me some rock, but I am very picky about it as a lot of what is out today is very derivative and a lot of it sounds the same. I couldn't tell the difference between Corn, Limp Biscuit, and Lincoln Park (to name a few) if my life depended on it. (And yes, I know the band names are misspelled. They're misspelled to begin with to be "cool" and I hate that dumb ****)

Now I wouldn't agree that Nine Inch Nails is that great either. Sure, Trent Reznor can write decent lyrics, but honestly the music hit or miss with him too. I haven't really enjoyed much of his work since the Downward Spiral. Then again, there's only so much music you can mine from bands like Ministry, Front 242, and Skinny Puppy.

Maybe its the fact that I have to listen to some of this stuff all the time, over and over again, but I would have to say that I have been very disenchanted with music these days. The bands I find myself consistently coming back to are bands like David Bowie, The Pixies, Radiohead, Sigur Ros, VNV Nation (damn great lyrics here), among others. My iTunes playlist is a very odd beast.

Athlon XP 2100+ | 512MB PC3200 RAM | Asus A7N8X Deluxe | GeforceFX 5900 VIVO 128MB @ 475/950 | 2 Western Digital SATA 120GB HDD in RAID 0 | 1 IBM 60GXP 60GB HDD IDE | 36x 12x 48x CD-RW | Logitech Z-680 THX 5.1 Speakers | 19in. Samsung 955DF Monitor | Windows XP Pro

Last edited by Nephilim; 12-28-03 at 10:37 AM.
Nephilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-03, 10:18 AM   #40
marqmajere
GeVooForceDoo

I would've liked to have heard some Sonic Mayhem on Doom 3. They did the soundtrack for Quake 2 and it's pretty hardcore.

Desktop - Asus M3A78-CM | AMD Phenom II 965 | 4 gigs G. Skill 1066 | ATI 5850 1 gig | WD 1TB Black
| Windows7 64-bit

Laptop - m11x
marqmajere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-03, 10:33 AM   #41
The Baron

Default Re: Re: ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Nephilim
I find it perfectly appropriate. Bands with musical substance are tasty--NIN, Yes, Zeppelin, Beatles, Van Halen. Bands without musical substance are not tasty.
Old 12-28-03, 10:47 AM   #42
Nephilim
Slacker extraordinaire

Default Re: Re: Re: ...

Quote:
Originally posted by The Baron
I find it perfectly appropriate. Bands with musical substance are tasty--NIN, Yes, Zeppelin, Beatles, Van Halen. Bands without musical substance are not tasty.
Heh, I found your stuff appropriate as well. I was asking ragejg to qualify his statement that the article sucked.

Athlon XP 2100+ | 512MB PC3200 RAM | Asus A7N8X Deluxe | GeforceFX 5900 VIVO 128MB @ 475/950 | 2 Western Digital SATA 120GB HDD in RAID 0 | 1 IBM 60GXP 60GB HDD IDE | 36x 12x 48x CD-RW | Logitech Z-680 THX 5.1 Speakers | 19in. Samsung 955DF Monitor | Windows XP Pro
Old 12-28-03, 11:00 AM   #43
digitalwanderer

The Dig pulls out his BFG, glowers menacingly at the posters in this thread, and says; "Next lilly-livered little girl who starts talking about pop music in a Doom3 speculation thread gets a taste of old Betsy here!"

Isn't this supposed to be a Doom]|[ thread?!?!
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-03, 11:40 AM   #44
ragejg
nV News Alumni

Default Re: Re: ...

Quote:
Maybe I shoulda added an "IMO" to that? ...

I guess my opinion on this can be traced back to when I originally saw a Tool video (sober)in the summer of 1993 @ age 15...

#1 I had never seen anything like it before

#2 it touched on themes I'd never seen explored before

#3 the prog-rock setup of the song was smattered with enough atmosphere and uniqueness to catch my ear

...obviously the style attracted a good deal of attention, good and bad... I personally liked it, and even heard a few songs off of Opiate that summer as well, after spending a couple weeks around undertow (at the time I was listening to select tracks from Alice In Chains' album Dirt, the singles movie soundtrack... but mostly Nirvana... ...I didn't get into RATM until later in the year, around november when I got ahold of that, In Utero, and the Breeders' album Last Splash) I don't really feel like I was a grunge sheep back then, as ppl with my music taste were definitely in the minority at my school...

... so they (Tool) has supposedly shouded themselves with mysticism.... heh I think that's great!! If a band can do that, and hold onto their class (tool hasn't gone through a big paradigm shift or anything, at least since the early 90's), become respected in the music community, and continue on for a good number of years, well IMO there's nothing wrong with it...

...If they presented their fassad (a component of showmanship, sometimes a forgotten angle of the duties of a performerto the world, and the world accepted it, and allowed it to continue on (at least from Summer of 1993 to present) for a long time, and their fans are happy with the music... well if Tool is happy with doing things the way they are, then so am I. I'm intrigued by the style. I'm amazed by the art. I guess I'm just sold on the whole "Tool" thing. Well you know what? I like being sold on the whole Tool thing, and the whole Nirvana thing, and the the whole:

Melvins
Mudhoney
Snapcase
NIN (yep, thems too
Tom Petty
Sepultura
MTV's "AMP" cd (1995, ... good show, good album)
Temple of the Dog
Radiohead
Portishead
Mad Season
Deftones
Some Korn
Soulfly
Slayer
Sonic Youth
Tricky
Queens of the Stone Age

thing...

...the author has his points in his beratement, and has his reasons (which I'm very privy to disagree with, however). I have mine.

If it weren't for tool, I wouldn't have gotten into quite so many bands which I ended up enjoying... so to me it's something I slightly value, and I guess I just hate to see it DE-valued in such a swift and knifing manner.

There's my take on that.

Pre-2010 Reviews: 6600 GT | XMS 4400 DDR | SilenX Cooler | 6800 | 5900 XT | Personal Cinema | 5900 NU

Phenom II x6 1090t @ 4.0 ghz | Asus M498TD-EVO Am3 SLI nForce 980a | 2x EVGA GTX 560 SLI | 2x4gb DDR3-1333 | Antec EarthWatts EA650 PSU | 60gb Mushkin Calisto Enhanced Sandforce SSD | 2x WD2500KS RAID 0 | Sunbeam Tuniq 3 case | 24" Asus 19x10 LED LCD | 26" Panasonic 720p TV | Sidewinder X5 mouse | Logitech MX5500 & Revolution mouse | Altec Lansing 5.1 THX-Certified audio | Win 7 Ultimate | desk | couch

Old 12-28-03, 11:44 AM   #45
ragejg
nV News Alumni

Default ...

I AM sorry this thread was hijacked... I honestly don't know what to do with it now...

///kicks thread/// what are you?

Old 12-28-03, 11:50 AM   #46
digitalwanderer

And with a loud "BA-ZAP!" Ragejg disapears in a flash of green along with half the thread....

Don't worry Ragejg, I got this one.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
Old 12-28-03, 12:46 PM   #47
Nephilim
Slacker extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
And with a loud "BA-ZAP!" Ragejg disapears in a flash of green along with half the thread....

Don't worry Ragejg, I got this one.

Honestly though, what else is there to say about Doom ]I[? It isn't out yet, it will hopefully be out soon, and Reznor isn't doing the music. That basically sums up the thread pretty well.

ragejg -

I wasn't trying to make your point any less valid (just want to make that clear). I just wanted your opinion on Tool, and I can appreciate what you wrote and I like a lot of bands off of the list you provide.

I think everyone can take it for granted that opinions will differ, but when it comes to music, I like to know why people think band x sucks or why band y rocks. That's why I asked.

Old 12-28-03, 12:54 PM   #48
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Honestly though, what else is there to say about Doom ]I[? It isn't out yet, it will hopefully be out soon
And it's gonna suck donkey-balls compared to HL2 and perform better on ATi gear than nVidia gear no matter how hard Johnny-boy tries to rig it.

We could also talk about shadowy corridors, I hear there's going to be some in this new game...
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]