Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-28-03, 01:27 PM   #49
emotionstation
I said is this true?!

Send a message via ICQ to emotionstation Send a message via AIM to emotionstation

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
And it's gonna suck donkey-balls compared to HL2 and perform better on ATi gear than nVidia gear no matter how hard Johnny-boy tries to rig it.

We could also talk about shadowy corridors, I hear there's going to be some in this new game...
You have no idea how good or bad the game is going to be compared to anything else. It could be the most enjoyable, atmospheric PC game you've ever played. Since when do games that have an enthralling, enveloping storyline (HL2) automatically put them ahead of games that focus more on gameplay?

I'm anxiously awaiting HL2, Doom 3, Stalker, and Farcry equally.
emotionstation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-03, 01:42 PM   #50
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by emotionstation
You have no idea how good or bad the game is going to be compared to anything else. It could be the most enjoyable, atmospheric PC game you've ever played. Since when do games that have an enthralling, enveloping storyline (HL2) automatically put them ahead of games that focus more on gameplay?
Yeah, I know....I just wanted to get it off the music subject.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-03, 01:47 PM   #51
noko
noko

Looking at the DoomIII images and trailler I am completely awe strucked! Looks like another jump in game play. I too am waiting for HL 2 and Doom3 and Serious Sam 2 as well .

Foxconn 780G, Athlon64 X2 5600 @ 3ghz, Mushkin 4gb DDR 800 OCZ 2x2gb , eVga 260 GTX. 17" MagAcer LCD, 120gb Vista 32
noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-03, 03:05 PM   #52
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

I downloaded the hi-res Doom 3 trailer and this game impresses me more than I initially expected. I'm not sure how it will compare to HL2 but I know I'm going to have both in my greedy little hands as soon as they're available.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-03, 03:17 PM   #53
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by saturnotaku
I downloaded the hi-res Doom 3 trailer and this game impresses me more than I initially expected. I'm not sure how it will compare to HL2 but I know I'm going to have both in my greedy little hands as soon as they're available.
Agreed. As much as I poke fun at D3, I know damned well I'll be standing in line waiting for it too.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-03, 04:57 PM   #54
Tuork
Official pain in the ass

Send a message via MSN to Tuork

Quote:
Originally posted by emotionstation
I'm anxiously awaiting HL2, Doom 3, Stalker, and Farcry equally.

Ditto.

Going back to the music thing don't shoot!....

I think music pretty much ruins the game... I'd rather have ambience sounds and no music. It reminds me of all the games where a different, more... erm.. active music, starts whenever there is action to come... hence, when the music is over, you know the trouble is also over.

= crap.

</end of music discussion>

Dimitri:
Dell XPS M1530
Core2Duo T5550 1.86Ghz | 3GB DDR2 | 8600M GT 256MB | 250GB Hdd | BenQ FP202W 20" LCD | MX1000 mouse | Inspire T5400 5.1
Tuork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-03, 06:04 PM   #55
PsychoSy

Send a message via ICQ to PsychoSy Send a message via AIM to PsychoSy
Talking

Not </end of music discussion>!!

Looking back at my Quake days, Trent's music for it really didn't do much for me. Then again, I never really cared for NiN one single bit. Respected them, yes. Listening to their music regularly, nein! I just didn't think his music was powerful enough and didn't really fit in with the action.

Then one day I forgot that I had left my Testament "LOW" CD in my CD-ROM and fired up some old fashioned Quake action. When the automatic demo started playing, instead of hearing Trent's music, I'm greeted with the punchy intro riffs to "Legions In Hiding" - track 2 off that CD ... and it fit the first few seconds of that autodemo perfectly.

Bottom line? Testament + any Quake/Doom game = Teh Win!!! In fact, when I play Doom 3 for the first time, I'll have MP3s of Testament's "Demonic" album playing in the background. Nothing else intensifies a Quake/Doom fragfest better than a case of beer and Chuck Billy growling the chrorus to "Demonic Refusal" and all the lights off...
Old 12-28-03, 06:04 PM   #56
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuork

I think music pretty much ruins the game... I'd rather have ambience sounds and no music. It reminds me of all the games where a different, more... erm.. active music, starts whenever there is action to come... hence, when the music is over, you know the trouble is also over.

= crap.
I agree... I personally think that RPGs and Adventures are the only games that really need music. Action\survival games rely on being able to see and hear your surroundings well enough to not get killed.... RPGs and Adventure games rely on a lot more than that, so a slight distraction like background music is ok.

heck, some RPGs NEED music.. like Morrowind... I cant imagine walking across a wasteland for a half hour with no music, where as in Vietcong I cant imagine music playing at all during the game, itd just be dumb.

Just had to add my 2 cents
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-03, 06:52 PM   #57
Tuork
Official pain in the ass

Send a message via MSN to Tuork

Thank you CaptNKILL.

As for the rest of you:
ENOUGH WITH THE TRENT/NIN/whatever-the-hell!

Dimitri:
Dell XPS M1530
Core2Duo T5550 1.86Ghz | 3GB DDR2 | 8600M GT 256MB | 250GB Hdd | BenQ FP202W 20" LCD | MX1000 mouse | Inspire T5400 5.1
Tuork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-04, 01:31 PM   #58
Zenikase

Default Re: Re: ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Nephilim
Now I wouldn't agree that Nine Inch Nails is that great either. Sure, Trent Reznor can write decent lyrics, but honestly the music hit or miss with him too. I haven't really enjoyed much of his work since the Downward Spiral. Then again, there's only so much music you can mine from bands like Ministry, Front 242, and Skinny Puppy.
<3

I think the Baron should use references other than MTV and radio when it comes to arguing about musical tastes. Reznor ripped off every element from innovative industrial/EBM/techno-rock artists in the 80s and infused them with the standard verse-chorus-verse format of popular music, and top it off with the most embarassingly angsty and abysmal lyrics ever heard. The result? Enormous success. So why, after over a decade and millions of dollars later, is he still churning out the same hamfisted material? You would think that a guy reaching his 40s and living quite comfortably for the rest of his life would realize when all his false anger reaches a point of absurdity.

PHM was a catchy album, and it showed that he had potential as a producer. The Downward Spiral, on the other hand, was a huge, unnecessarily bloated wankfest ...I can probably name about four actual songs on the album that weren't totally boring pretentious pomp. The production was also pretty shoddy in some parts.

To me, Reznor was just a flash in the pan who got lucky and is now adored by hordes of hormone-ridden teens who just heard "Head Like a Hole" or "Closer" for the first time. And all the new material he has released in the past fifteen years was in the form of three LPs and one EP!

Yeah, sorry about bumping a semi-old thread, but I am vulnerable to music discussions.
Zenikase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-04, 05:45 PM   #59
thenerdguy

Holy Crap!
What if they make pop music all the sound you can hear wile your in hell. Then it would be very hellish indead.
Old 01-22-04, 08:31 AM   #60
John Reynolds

Quote:
Originally posted by thenerdguy
Holy Crap!
What if they make pop music all the sound you can hear wile your in hell. Then it would be very hellish indead.
I think they should make players listen to Britney Spears' "Hit me baby one more time" while fighting the Vagary (spider queen).

John Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote