Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Windows Graphics Drivers

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-27-02, 12:35 PM   #13
mongoose

Default =SSC= and Maj

Maj: Automatic updating is one of the first applications I disable after a reinstall.

I couldn't locate the driver on my computer, more like didn't want to sift through 42,000 files.

=SSC=: C:Windows\Inf\>Catalog<??? I have WinXP Pro. I had a catalog folder when I was running Win9x/ME. Also, I have a home built system. Any self respecting power user doesn't go proprietary

I checked my Windows Update history and reviewed every patch. The driver did NOT come from Windows Update.

Part of my problems surfaced from DOH!.dll: a file within my mongoose 2.3 beta application. You know, that damnable application rooted firmly between chair and monitor After my previous OS install, I disabled system restore. I guess that also disables the driver roll back feature of XP. I had to perform another OS reinstall because of the repeated crashes. All of which should have been avoided with system restore and driver rollback...DOH!

The 30.82 detonator from Visiontek is the last source I can think of for the gateway driver.

Thanks.
mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-02, 04:34 PM   #14
The Baron

Quote:
=SSC=: C:Windows\Inf\>Catalog<??? I have WinXP Pro. I had a catalog folder when I was running Win9x/ME. Also, I have a home built system. Any self respecting power user doesn't go proprietary
I've got one from a clean XP Pro format... Only thing in there is via.cat . Just checking.
Old 09-28-02, 04:58 AM   #15
lalittle

I have the problem discussed in this thread as well -- i.e. after uninstalling drivers (I'm using Win2K), the previous drivers are automatically installed the next time I start the system, so I can't install the "Standard VGA" adaptor. I get this on more than one system, so I'm confused by all the people that say "just uninstall through "add/remove," then reboot and use the "30 to 40 fix," then reboot again and install the new ones. I can't follow these instructions since on the first reboot the system forces the previous drivers on me.

In other words, I'm unable to follow the "step by step" instructions given in the forums since my systems don't behave as described.

Thanks for any help or info on this,

Larry
lalittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-02, 08:17 PM   #16
Zarich

if anyone noticed.. windows now includes a stock driver for nvidia cards with the sp1 update. If you look at what components it installs you will find none. It simply installs the basic vga for that card.
Zarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-02, 10:48 PM   #17
The Baron

Maybe you should try changing the driver before you uninstall it to the standard VGA adapter and THEN uninstall it.
Old 09-30-02, 11:15 PM   #18
lalittle

Quote:
Originally posted by =SSC=The Baron
Maybe you should try changing the driver before you uninstall it to the standard VGA adapter and THEN uninstall it.
I tried this, and the listing for the Nvidia drivers in "Add/Remove Programs" disappeared once I installed the "Standard VGA" drivers. In other words, I litterally COULDN'T uninstall it after doing this.

Larry
Old 09-30-02, 11:24 PM   #19
The Baron

Try deleting the nv*.* files in c:\windows\system32 and c:\windows\help under safe mode and immediately installing 30.82. It'll leave the current reg settings, but that shouldn't matter too much...
Old 10-01-02, 12:11 AM   #20
lalittle

You mean immediately installing 40.71?

Thanks,

Larry

Old 10-01-02, 12:21 AM   #21
The Baron

Yeah, sorry, thought you were going back to 30.82 for a second
Old 10-01-02, 04:27 PM   #22
Max3D
Quadro2 Pro

If I do not unplug the netcard from cable modem XP goes and grabs the the whql drivers from windows update site reguardless of the "Automatic Updates" enabled or disabled, heres some tips ive found useful for completely uninstalling nvidia drivers if your interested:

NOTE: theres registry editing in here, use at own risk!

1. Go to C:\windows\inf\ dir and hit F3 to bring up the search box and search for a word or phrase:
nvidia
delete/move the ones found such as nv3,4.inf and oem*...etc, then open regedit and go here:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Setup], double click "Installation Sources" and remove everything in the box, hit ok, close regedit.

2. Delete everything in this dir (NOT the dir itself):
C:\Program Files\WindowsUpdate\

3. Add/remove programs > uninstall nvidia drivers, click ok to reboot.
4. Unplug your Internet connection before XP starts again.
5. Once back into XP it will say new hardware found..., hit cancel on the VGA..etc screen.
6. Now your ready to install new drivers, enjoy.
Max3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-02, 07:07 AM   #23
lalittle

Would it be so hard for nvidia to include a more robust "uninstaller" with thier driver installation routine? The driver files are already HUGE and include all sorts of languages as well as the ability to install drivers for a whole bunch of different cards -- why not just add all the necessary uninstall procedures as well?

Larry
Old 10-05-02, 11:13 AM   #24
Blakhart

This has certainly confirmed my ideas on the sp1 situation.
Blakhart is offline   Reply With Quote