Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-21-03, 06:57 PM   #1
Nosewheelie

Question Installer can't compile new kernel under Fedora1

I am a newbie running and experimenting without anything but news forums to give me command syntax, so please provide exact syntax.

I am running a brand new installation of Fedora1 and have only upgraded the kernel to the latest stable one today.

It is nice to finally have music in RH games, but now the usual nvidia driver install is unable to complete because it cannot find the kernel that it needs to compile.

I have the current source file and everything is in order but the installer can't finish the kernel compile routine.

Anyone know how to fix this? The Fedora1 ISO files were downloaded yesterday, so everything is as current as it can be.

I just need to complete the "usual" step of replacing the useless bundled driver with the one from the nvidia site.
Nosewheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-03, 09:08 PM   #2
Wolfman [TWP]
Geforce 8800 GTS 512

execute this line before you run the Nvidia installer script.

export CC=gcc32 (Exactly as shown here)

It will compile now.

Wolf
Wolfman [TWP] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-03, 10:56 PM   #3
Nosewheelie

Excellent, Wolfman,

Many thanks. That only took me since 4 pm this evening to find!!! Nvidia should have this posted up on the readme file somewhere since this is a straight up new installation of Fedora1.

Since this is a fresh installation of Fedora1...you don't also happen to know why my Samba file shares are missing too do you??? SMB is running and I can surf the web just fine, but have no connectivity to my windows machines connected to the same residential gateway.

This is just a peer to peer XP Home network of 5 machines...one of which is this Linux machine.

I know its off topic, but someone who knows what you just shared would probably know what I've missed with Samba also.

I was previously running XD2 on RH9 where the fix for the SMB problem there was replacing the gnome-vfs2-extras ximian version with the original vfs2-extras from the RH rpm site, but right now I'm not running a 3rd party desktop and now the problem is here in Fedora1 right out of the box...or in this case the ISO.

-Nosewheelie
Old 12-21-03, 11:01 PM   #4
Wolfman [TWP]
Geforce 8800 GTS 512

No Problem.. Nvidia would not have known about this, as they would'nt know of all the new distro's poping up here and there. But it's good that it worked. Kernel Version 2.6 will yet be another story

Well, I guess that being a fresh install as you mentioned, all your shares will have to be recreated. OR, you could copy them from a backup of the old system.

Also checkout the fedora forum, others maybe able to help you in that area.

Wolf

Last edited by Wolfman [TWP]; 12-22-03 at 05:34 AM.
Old 12-22-03, 07:23 PM   #5
Nosewheelie

Unhappy

Hey Wolfman,

I spoke too quickly...

Following the install using your export CC=gcc32 everything SEEMED ok....but...

The system no longer understands the command "telinit 3" or "init 3" from inside the terminal window.

This will be a problem if I need to stop X to update anything.

The system says that it is an unknown command.

Did you experience this anomoly following your kernel recompiles????

-Nosewheelie
Old 12-23-03, 03:21 AM   #6
Wolfman [TWP]
Geforce 8800 GTS 512

Quote:
Originally posted by Nosewheelie
Hey Wolfman,

I spoke too quickly...

Following the install using your export CC=gcc32 everything SEEMED ok....but...

The system no longer understands the command "telinit 3" or "init 3" from inside the terminal window.

This will be a problem if I need to stop X to update anything.

The system says that it is an unknown command.

Did you experience this anomoly following your kernel recompiles????

-Nosewheelie
These "telinit 3" & "init 3" commands are suposed to do what exactly?? I ran them in a terminal window and they returned nothing.

Wolf
Old 12-23-03, 07:50 AM   #7
Nosewheelie

Oh no...
Go here for a definition: http://www.linuxvalley.it/encycloped....8.php#TELINIT

They are the quick and dirty way of moving in and out of runlevel 5 to 3 and back again.

Now that we have used your "export CC" fix to run that installer, there are apparently other incompatibilities in that thing that possibly result in other anomolies???

telinit was certainly working the very last moments before the compile, because "telinit 3" is the command that I always use to exit from X and drop instantly to the line command screen.

Apparently you have the same result???? Dat not good...

Anyone know how to get out of this arrangement??? The two files, telinit and init, are still in my /sbin directory where they are supposed to be, but the system no longer knows what they mean.

There must be a config path file in Linux somewhere that now no longer has the path, but then navigating to that directory in a terminal window logged on as root still produced the same blank looks.

I'm open to ideas!

-Nosewheelie
Old 12-23-03, 08:06 AM   #8
Wolfman [TWP]
Geforce 8800 GTS 512

Quote:
Oh no...
Go here for a definition: http://www.linuxvalley.it/encycloped....8.php#TELINIT

They are the quick and dirty way of moving in and out of runlevel 5 to 3 and back again.

Now that we have used your "export CC" fix to run that installer, there are apparently other incompatibilities in that thing that possibly result in other anomolies???

telinit was certainly working the very last moments before the compile, because "telinit 3" is the command that I always use to exit from X and drop instantly to the line command screen.

Apparently you have the same result???? Dat not good...

Anyone know how to get out of this arrangement??? The two files, telinit and init, are still in my /sbin directory where they are supposed to be, but the system no longer knows what they mean.

There must be a config path file in Linux somewhere that now no longer has the path, but then navigating to that directory in a terminal window logged on as root still produced the same blank looks.

I'm open to ideas!

-Nosewheelie
Thanks for that link.... I get the idea now.

I would asume that you boot your system directly into the GUI (init 5)???
So that command on init 3 will shutdown X and put you in command mode.

It probably doesn't work for me, since I boot my system into init 3 mode, and run X from command line.

I know there's a file that contains the system paths, but I can't remember what it was called or where it's located.

I think your path stuff should be correct, as other files would not run if the path was tampered with.

Wolf

Old 12-23-03, 05:43 PM   #9
Nosewheelie

Default Telinit & init commands stop working following install on Fedora1

Hey Wolfman,

Hopefully you will find this message.

I agree this is not a path file problem, because other commands like reboot or exit function fine...it is something else.

Yes I log to X automatically, being a Windows weenie.

I am stumped as to why the kernel no longer recognizes these basic telinit commands, however.

I should be able to navigate to those directories and then type the command and it work, but Fedora now doesn't know what I mean.

I can live with the problem, at least until the next Nvidia driver arrives...but then what??? I have lost the ability to quickly go in and out of X without rebooting my system and making edits to config files, etc.

Just in case someone who knows the answer is reading this...

We ran the video driver installer on a new Fedora1 installation after first typing the command "export C=gcc32" so that the compile would pass the system sanity check.

Following the "successful" completion of the compile, Linux no longer knows the meaning of the root commands "telinit" & "init" as it should, even though the two files are sitting right there in the directory where they belong.

-Nosewheelie
Old 12-23-03, 05:50 PM   #10
Nosewheelie

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolfman [TWP]
Thanks for that link.... I get the idea now.

It probably doesn't work for me, since I boot my system into init 3 mode, and run X from command line.

Wolf
FWIW,

How you load X should be irrelevant. Once you are there, you should be able to open the terminal...go su...and then simply type the command "telinit 3" and be dumped directly to runlevel 3 without any other steps.

In runlevel 3, conversely, you should be able to type "init 5" or "telinit 5" and pop back to X.

You probably now have the same problem that I do, and don't even realize it.

-Nosewheelie
Old 12-24-03, 01:01 AM   #11
Wolfman [TWP]
Geforce 8800 GTS 512

Quote:
You probably now have the same problem that I do, and don't even realize it.
You are probably right, but I've never use those commands. So I don't really miss something I don't use

Wolf
Old 12-29-03, 10:02 PM   #12
Bones

Hello

I have read this thread with great interest since I had the same problem when installing NVidia drivers in Fedora.

I followed Wolf's suggestion and -voila - it worked. ( thanks Wolf )

I then tried to type "init 3" at the command prompt ( after typing in "su" ) and had the same prob as Nosewheelie.

Then I typed in "su -" instead and was able to switch to runlevel 3, then back to runlevel 5 ( init 5 )

someone told me that by using "su -" you set the proper path - in this case to /sbin

Of course that doesn't explain the inability of going to the /sbin directory and trying to run init ...

Thanks all!
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote