Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-26-03, 12:35 AM   #1
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick
Default Price Of Persia: The Sands of Time

I just got this game for X-mas and i like the gameplay. Anyone else have it?

Its really fun, i feel the developers took time in makeing the maps and putting presets for cameras and the path the player has to take. Not just make some animations and then make maps that dont match up at all. They seem to have alot of customs animations. However, when i first installed the game, it woudlnt start, kept asking for the 'cd' witch i had in the drive. I rembmberd ubisoft did some BS with ghost recon that stoped it from playing if any virtual drives were in use. So i uninstall alchohol and then it magicly started working..... i suspect it has the same bs in it.

The Good:
Fun game mechanics
Great story
Nice Cutsceens
Good concept and execution of a 3d platformer
Nice animations
Lots of voice acting

The Bad:
Buggy
Slow Graphics
Lots of visual glitches involving fog/water
Suspected 'Virutal Drive Bull****'
Old 12-26-03, 05:07 AM   #2
rth

I got this game a few days ago. It came with a dual analogue controller with POP logo on it which is great since it's a very much a console game in terms of gameplay.

I'm 52% into it so it's quite a short game, but I hate it when games are overly long for the sake of it.

I haven't noticed any of your "bad" points, maybe more info or screenshots?

The time reverse is really cool. The Matrix game should have been based on this engine, it's quite similar to the ETM levels fighing the vampires, but the fighting system is much much better.

The most annoying thing is when you press the time button a little too long for slow motion and it stupidly assumes you want to waste an entire sand tank to go back a split second in time.
Old 12-26-03, 09:41 AM   #3
digitalwanderer

I'm with the "it's annoying when you don't hold the rewind button quite long enough" bit, but otherwise the game is quite impressive.

I STILL haven't gotten it to work under XP though, I have to boot into 98se to run it.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-03, 10:28 AM   #4
Nephilim
Slacker extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer

I STILL haven't gotten it to work under XP though, I have to boot into 98se to run it.
Really? What happens when you try to run it in XP? I've played through the entire game under XP.

Athlon XP 2100+ | 512MB PC3200 RAM | Asus A7N8X Deluxe | GeforceFX 5900 VIVO 128MB @ 475/950 | 2 Western Digital SATA 120GB HDD in RAID 0 | 1 IBM 60GXP 60GB HDD IDE | 36x 12x 48x CD-RW | Logitech Z-680 THX 5.1 Speakers | 19in. Samsung 955DF Monitor | Windows XP Pro
Nephilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-03, 10:44 AM   #5
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by Nephilim
Really? What happens when you try to run it in XP? I've played through the entire game under XP.
I get that stupid, "An error has occured" dialogue box and it asks me if I want to send a report to M$ or not. (I HATE that dialogue box worse than anything else about XP...it's just soooo descriptive of the problem and helpful. )

I'm an XP newby, so any help is appreciated. I've had a number of games that happens with, and they all work for me in 98se. (And I got about a half-dozen games that won't run under 98se but work peachy under XP, go figure. )
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
Old 12-26-03, 11:07 AM   #6
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick

Yours game with an controler? Im jelious, when my sister went to buy it she said best buy was sold out accross indiana, and only one copy was left at cirucit city hm.
Old 12-26-03, 11:15 AM   #7
mrsabidji
I am the cheese...

Send a message via ICQ to mrsabidji

Quote:
I get that stupid, "An error has occured" dialogue box and it asks me if I want to send a report to M$ or not. (I HATE that dialogue box worse than anything else about XP...it's just soooo descriptive of the problem and helpful. )

I'm an XP newby, so any help is appreciated. I've had a number of games that happens with, and they all work for me in 98se. (And I got about a half-dozen games that won't run under 98se but work peachy under XP, go figure. )
Are you using a refresh-rate overrider ?
Besides, you can disable that stupid dialogue box, amongst other annoying stuffs, with XPantispy.

mrsabidji
Old 12-26-03, 11:22 AM   #8
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by GlowStick
Yours game with an controler? Im jelious, when my sister went to buy it she said best buy was sold out accross indiana, and only one copy was left at cirucit city hm.
CC in Hammond? Where? I know the one in Highland rather intimately, but where is the one in Hammond?

Quote:
Originally posted by mrsabidji
Are you using a refresh-rate overrider ?
Uhm, of course! Should I not be?

Quote:
Besides, you can disable that stupid dialogue box, amongst other annoying stuffs, with XPantispy.
I'll go google it now. Did I mention I'm a newby with XP? I really am. Any other tweaker advice?
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]

Old 12-26-03, 11:43 AM   #9
mrsabidji
I am the cheese...

Quote:
Uhm, of course! Should I not be?
Some games don't really like it (someone said halo ?). You should try to run the game with the stupid default 60Hz and see if it runs.

Quote:
I'll go google it now. Did I mention I'm a newby with XP? I really am. Any other tweaker advice?
I'm using X-Setup 6.3 (6.4 should be out soon) to tweak a lot of thingies (system paths, HDD cache, startup programs, system cache file, etc...). It's really easy to use and rather powerful.

mrsabidji

edit : Oh, and pretty please with sugar and a cherry on the top, do disable that awful 'XP style' user interface with colored menus and toy looking windows. I hate them sooo much .
Old 12-26-03, 11:50 AM   #10
The Baron

I tweak everything by hand... although the 'rents did give me a copy of Norton SystemWorks 2003 Pro for Christmas. I know, you're thinking, "Baron using Norton Utilities?! ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE!? HERESY!" But, see... it comes with Ghost. Nough said.
Old 12-26-03, 11:55 AM   #11
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by mrsabidji
Some games don't really like it (someone said halo ?). You should try to run the game with the stupid default 60Hz and see if it runs.

I'm using X-Setup 6.3 (6.4 should be out soon) to tweak a lot of thingies (system paths, HDD cache, startup programs, system cache file, etc...). It's really easy to use and rather powerful.
Just downloaded it, I'm off to run & tweak

Quote:
Oh, and pretty please with sugar and a cherry on the top, do disable that awful 'XP style' user interface with colored menus and toy looking windows. I hate them sooo much .
Me too normally, but I was trying to get a typical users XP install for reviewing the 9600 so I left 'em on for a change. I'm almost used to it.

Baron-I can't tweak XP by hand very well yet, so I'm playing with tweakers.
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
Old 12-26-03, 12:05 PM   #12
mrsabidji
I am the cheese...

Talking

I just noticed the thread title... 'Price of Persia' .
Ok, don't mind me...

mrsabidji