Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-25-02, 02:02 PM   #1
cricket

Default windowsxp uprade from winme

hi, i just started to upgrade my windowsme system which has a geforce3ti500 visiontek vid card in it and while it was "preparing for information" to upgrade it..it said that my geforce3ti 500 card may not work with winxp upgrade version. was i suppose to remove the drivers for my vid card before upgrading or is this just a bogus error? im pretty sure the ti500 card will work with winxp but was just wondering if anyone knows why it gave me this "hardware compatability error" system is still in progress of updating but once it is complete i will post here if i see or have any problems. i had windowsme andi am upgrading to the winxp upgrade version, not full winxp. why becuse it is 100.00 cheaper even though they say full upgrade is better. and yes i did remove antivirus and other symantec programs before starting.
system specs for machine are: P3/1.0ghz/256mb ram/visiontek geforce3 ti 500 with 3082 drivers/directx 8/sblive/
1GB (2 X 512MB) Kingston HyperX (KHX3200AKB/1GR (2-3-2-6)
XFX NVIDIA 7600GT AGP (256MB) (@ 580Mhz Core-1.5Ghz Memory Speeds)
80 GB MAXTOR DIAMOND MAX 9 (8Mb Cache)
WINXP HOME ED -w/Vista Transformation Pack 6
ANTEC SLK 3700 BQE CASE
Nec ND-1100A DVD/RW Drive
CD Drive
7 in 1 Multimedia Card reader For My SD Digital Camera Pictures
cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-02, 02:08 PM   #2
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Do you have a full version Windows ME CD available? It is possible to do a clean install from an upgrade CD. The installer will prompt you to insert a previous full version Windows CD (98, 98SE, ME or 2000) before you can proceed. I've done this several times and it's worked perfectly. Trying to install Windows XP over ME will give you nothing but headaches.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-02, 02:21 PM   #3
cricket

i have the windowsme cd that came with the computer, from Dell. is this the one you mean? and if yes how do i do what you mentioned in your above post? i think why it said my geforce3ti500 and lexmark printer would have compatability issues. is because i have the win9x/me drivers currently in the system and im hoping once the upgrade is completed i will be able to change them to xp drivers without having to start all over again. i just forgot about this before i ran the upgrade cd. what other kinds of headaches should i expect? if this even works correctly the first time....about 10 minutes before i find out if it worked. ill post again, please tell me how i do a clean install with the winme cd. thanks saturnotaku
ANTEC SLK 3700 BQE CASE
CD Drive
Old 09-25-02, 02:34 PM   #4
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

You mention the Win ME CD you have came with your Dell. Is the CD you have an honest to goodness Windows ME CD that has the Microsoft hollograms on it and so forth? I only ask because OEM's like to use system restore discs instead of providing you with a legitimate, full version operating system CD.

If your CD is a true, full version product and not a restore disc, you're good to go. Make sure you have all your critical documents and program files backed up either onto another hard drive, hard drive partition or CD-R/RW because in order to do a "clean" install you have to format your hard drive.

But before you format, go online and get Windows XP compatible drivers for all your hardware, from motherboard chipset to video to your printer. Lexmark should have Windows XP drivers available for download. If not, there is a possibility the printer could be natively supported under XP. You'll have to do a bit of research on that. For video drivers, you can get XP compatible ones all over the net and there should even be some links in our detonator drivers forum.

You should also download Windows XP Service Pack 1 (available from http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp)

Once you have made absolutely certain you have all your stuff backed up and that you have drivers for the new OS, it's time to format. Make sure you have your computer's BIOS set up to boot from your CD-ROM drive and put in your Windows XP CD. The system should prompt you with "press any key to boot from CD-ROM." Then the setup routine will initialize.

When you reach the point where it prompts you for which partition you want to install Windows XP on, you're going to want to delete your Windows ME partition and let the XP setup routine create and format the drive for you. At this point, the installer will ask you to put a previous full-version Windows CD into your CD-ROM drive. This is where you insert your Windows ME CD. After the program verifies it, it will prompt you to put back the XP CD and setup will continue from there.

Once you have completed the entire setup (should take between 30-45 minutes depending on your system) and have booted into the XP GUI for the first time, the first thing you'll want to install is Service Pack 1. Follow that up with motherboard chipset drivers, then video drivers, then sound and any other hardware that wasn't automatically detected by XP.

There are other guides on the net available that are far more comprehensive than what I've posted. Google is your friend in this case - research everything out before you proceed if you're unsure of what you're doing.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-02, 03:20 PM   #5
cricket

upgrade completed....got 40.52 drivers installed...all seems ok so far. have to install norton and printer drivers.....if i have any problems ill post again, thanks for help. also got win dvd upgrade .
ANTEC SLK 3700 BQE CASE
CD Drive
Old 09-25-02, 09:07 PM   #6
cricket

all seems ok...it was a pain in the neck but seems to be running good.....way much better than WindowsMe.
ANTEC SLK 3700 BQE CASE
CD Drive
Old 09-29-02, 10:48 PM   #7
cricket

one bad thing that i didnt realize was.....i only have a 20gb hard drive on that system and it only lets you do FAT32...not NTFS file system....which on this system that had windowsXP preinstalled has the ntfs on a 80gb HD. system 1 spec's Dell Demension 8200 P4 2.26GHz with 533MHz system bus/ 512K L2 Cache ~256MB PC800 RDRAM~80GB Ultra ATA/100 Hard Drive~128MB DDR NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4600~with 30.82 driver's~Direct X 8.1~24x/10x/40x CD-RW Drive~ Harman Kardon HK-395 Speakers with Subwoofer ~Sound Blaster Live~ WinXP Home edition~withSP1

system 2 specs:dell Demension 4100~ P3~1.0GHZ~256MB SDRAM~20GB HARD DRIVE~SBLIVE VALUE~64mb GEFORCE 3 TI500 WITH 3082 DRIVERS~WINDOWSXP UPGRADED VERSION FROM winME

one for me, one for the wife...lol
ANTEC SLK 3700 BQE CASE
CD Drive