Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-25-03, 12:22 PM   #1
thebruno

Unhappy Gnome Startup - RHL 9

Hi - I am a complete linux newbie.

I installed Fedora RHL on my computer and whenever Gnome starts up, it alerts me that it is unable to find 'alopa' and that it should be added to /etc/hosts. My sessions are all labled 'root@alopa' or '<user>@alopa' and I have been searching documentation to change/understand this. Is there a way to assign a different name - my ISP is wowway.com - I am not at all familiar with alopa and I do not know why it tries to locate it on startup???

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Bruno
thebruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-04, 09:01 AM   #2
dnoyeB

Which version is Fedora?

It appears that you have named your computer 'alopa' but not in every required place. that name should be reflected in the /etc/hosts file probably as

127.0.0.1 alopa.localdomain alopa

You probably should not delete the current contents of the hosts file.

if this hosts file is not correct you will continue to have strange problems here and there as Linux is throughly networked and even without networking it is using the networking info.

Last edited by dnoyeB; 01-05-04 at 10:44 AM.
dnoyeB is offline   Reply With Quote