Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-24-03, 11:08 AM   #1
tonyb

Default Nvidia install question

Hello,
I am using Mandrake 9.0 that installed the NVidia 3123 drivers during the install process. I want to upgrade to 4496. My question, in my XF86Config-4, the line Load "glx" was replaced with the full path and file name(see below):

Section "Module"
Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension
Load "v4l" # Video for Linux
Load "extmod"
Load "type1"
Load "freetype"
Load "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so" <--************

When I upgrade, is the filename/path the same, or will this cause a problem? Everything works fine, I just want to head off any problems before I upgrade.....

TIA
Old 12-26-03, 08:18 AM   #2
Wolfman [TWP]
Geforce 8800 GTS 512

I have been using the Nvidia drivers going back to version 28.80, and my XF86Config has not changed since that time. And I'm currently using the 46.20 (beta) drivers with exactly the same config. So your configuration shouldn't give you any trouble. Plus having to put in the exact path in this file is not needed, provided the system paths are all correct and have not been changed.

Wolf
Wolfman [TWP] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-03, 08:50 AM   #3
tonyb

Thanks for the reply. Just wanted to be sure....

Is it summer down under? It sure as hell isn't here in Indy, current temp: 25 F.......
Old 12-26-03, 02:20 PM   #4
tonyb

Well , the install sucks! I had to change XF86Config-4 to get into X. It would not load the nvidia driver, had to change this to "nv". The error was something like screens found but none with usable configuration. NOTHING in my config-4 file was changed.......
Old 12-27-03, 01:23 AM   #5
Wolfman [TWP]
Geforce 8800 GTS 512

Quote:
Originally posted by tonyb
Well , the install sucks! I had to change XF86Config-4 to get into X. It would not load the nvidia driver, had to change this to "nv". The error was something like screens found but none with usable configuration. NOTHING in my config-4 file was changed.......
Yes, the install of the driver, does NOT change the XF86Config(-4) file. This has to be done manually. The Nvidia readme file should give you some pointers on how that's done. Plus a browse of this forum should help you too. (You should be able to find the documentation in /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0 directory after the driver is installed)

Yes, it is Summer here downunder, it been around 35C some days

Wolf
Old 12-27-03, 06:45 AM   #6
tonyb

Wolf,
This is what I had to do to fix this problem. Evidently Mandrake (MDK) installed the 3123 Drivers via rpm. The new install sytem by Nvidia is not rpm based. I had to run MDK control center and remove the 3123 rpm (via the commandline would not work), then delete anything that had a NVIDIA* file name. Then, I ran nvidia-installer --uninstall (the prior version I tried to install), and lastly, sh NVIDIA*4496.pkg2.run.

This worked. I read the docs for Nvidias new install sytem. If this works, it should make things alot less troublesome to upgrade to the next version.
Old 12-27-03, 07:39 AM   #7
Wolfman [TWP]
Geforce 8800 GTS 512

Yes, the new Nvidia Installer is supposed to make the driver installation easier. Although personally I wish they stuck with the RPMs, as I found them much easier.

Good to see that you are finally getting there. So you are saying that rpm -e nvidia* didn't work?? It should have. Anyway see how things go this time around.

Wolf
Old 12-27-03, 07:49 AM   #8
tonyb

Yep! when I ran:

rpm -qa | grep NVIDIA - it returned the version 3123 that Mandrake installed
rpm -e NVIDIA returned (version that mandrake installed, NOT installed?)

So, by going into Mandrake Control Center > Software Manager > Uninstall Software

I was able to get rid of it, and ANY reference of nvidia/NVIDIA on my drive I rm -f the damn thing!!!!. All is well now.