Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-28-02, 03:28 AM   #13
ASCI Blue

Send a message via AIM to ASCI Blue Send a message via Yahoo to ASCI Blue

I've heard they really work. Really work to give the user headaches.

Sick of war crimes Windows? Try linux!
ASCI Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-02, 03:54 AM   #14
RoachMojo
Who...who are you..?

ASCI: They did in the past, bad headaches, but I have had none with these, and I have been playing straight for over a week!

I don't even feel the enormous eyestrain that usually comes with it. If only they worked fine for ALL games...

I love these glasses.
Coolermaster ATC-210-VX1 case w/ Rosewill 850W PSU | Q9650@3.6Ghz w/ Zalman CNPS9700 LED | eVga 780i BIOS P10 w/ 4GB OCZ Platinum PC8500 | 3-WD 640GB + External WD 1TB + Lite On 12x Blu-ray Burner | eVga Geforce GTX470 SC w/ Sony 60EX700 HDTV | Nvidia HD Audio on Denon 1909 5.1 and Polk Speakers | Dual Booting XP Professional SP3 and Windows 7 Enterprise X64
RoachMojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-02, 11:53 AM   #15
DaveW
Its me! Hurray!

Quote:
Originally posted by OliverRedfox
A remember a few years back some British artists created 3d lcd technology. They figured out how to lay stips of film onto normal lcd screens. It would split the the image so every other line on the screen would be project off to either the left or right eye. The only problem it had was that if you moved more then 15 degrees of center of the lcd the image was only apparent in 2d. To add it to the manifacturing of a standard lcd would cost less then $5 in parts. At the time no one was interested in the tech. They were working on a better version that would have multiple left/right fields so you could view it from any angle.

It's a great example of how some of the best technology comes from the little guys. No scientist, simply 2 people who had been making holographic photos for 20 years and figured out a cheap way to use it with computers. I'd love for them to release a monitor film-screen that you could just clip on over an lcd and turn it into 3d. All it would need is drivers to interlace the left and right eye images on the screen. And maybe a few adjustments up and down to get the film-screen inline with the monitor.
I thought of that idea years before they did... I was only about 18 at the time and didn't have the forsight to patent it.

Core2 Q9400 @ 3.0, eVGA GTX 260, 4G DDR 800, Vista64
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-02, 08:18 PM   #16
Nutty
Sittin in the Sun

Send a message via MSN to Nutty

Quote:
They are based on stereopsis... two seperate images that when viewed with both eyes things look 3D. But the image is still really 2D... if you cover one eye, you wont see the effect.
Thats exactly how your real eyes work duh!
The image each eye gets is only 2d. Each eye is basically just a pinhole camera.

IF you cover one eye, you drastically lose depth perception. Although you wont notice it immediately as you remember your surroundings. Placed in a completely new room with 1 eye covered you would notice it tho.

I'm waiting for cerebral implant technology, to completely bypass our eyes.. yeah!!
Nutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-02, 01:22 PM   #17
DaveW
Its me! Hurray!

Quote:
Originally posted by Nutty
Thats exactly how your real eyes work duh!
The image each eye gets is only 2d. Each eye is basically just a pinhole camera.

IF you cover one eye, you drastically lose depth perception. Although you wont notice it immediately as you remember your surroundings. Placed in a completely new room with 1 eye covered you would notice it tho.

I'm waiting for cerebral implant technology, to completely bypass our eyes.. yeah!!
If you are blind in one eye you can still see depth, the lens in your eye changes shape to focus on object near or far. With shutter glasses and 3D techniques like it, the lenses in your eyes are focused at a screen 2 feet away from you. But the stereopsis effect tricks you into thinking that you are staring down a corridor to an object 100 feet away. Your visual system is seeing two depths at the same time which causes the headaches that people experience. The only flat image that can look 3D to a single eye is a hologram.

Old 12-29-02, 02:46 PM   #18
Nutty
Sittin in the Sun

Send a message via MSN to Nutty

With only 1 eye, you dont percieve depth. Only focal clarity. You can't percieve depth from a single point of view. Thats why we have two eyes, taking images from 2 points of view.

Having certain things out of focus with 1 eye doesn't give you the full ability of depth perception as 2 different images does.
Nutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-02, 07:42 PM   #19
DaveW
Its me! Hurray!

Binocular disparity is the best way to perceive depth for short distances (e.g. grabbing objects with your hands). But its not the only way we perceive depth, and stereoscopic cues don't work well at perceiving depth more than a few feet away. Parallax is another way. People with sight in only one eye subconsciously move their head in little left-right movements to get a sensation of parallax when viewing an object. Shutter glasses and lenticular LCDs do not create parallax (only holograms do that). And the sensory confusion between the way your binocular vision is centered on an artificial point off in the distance, but your eyes themselves are focused on your computer screen a couple of feet away is the cause of the headaches you get from them.

Have you every tried LCD shutter glasses with the stereoscopic effect on 100% ? You will only last a few minutes before you get a bad headache or you start vomitting.

Old 12-30-02, 05:39 AM   #20
g0at

Send a message via AIM to g0at

to sum it up, its nice when you see it for the first time, but after a couple days, the glasses will just be taking up space in your "spare parts" bin =\
g0at is offline   Reply With Quote