Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-04-04, 01:33 AM   #1
ishak540m

Default I didn't think it was possible, Duke Nukem Forever news!

Duke Nukem Forever news from the man, himself.

Summarized:

My New Years resolution:

To play DukeNukemForever THIS YEAR!

ARE YOU LISTENING GEORGE????!?!?!?!?!?

please post screenshot

-------------------------------------------------------------------
By: GeorgeB3DR [ Reply ]

Well, we're closer than last year, and certainly moreso than any previous year We actually make progress now.

It kinda wasn't prior to 2002, unfortunately. Two steps forward and 3-4 backwards.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
By: Clay [ Reply ]

how were you going backward?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmm...probably not getting key tech features done in time, and since we were unwilling to have an average looking game (projecting to when we could potentially ship), we re-did major chunck of the engine, which caused content to get redone. In short, we never had a solid tech base to build on, so it was the equivalent of trying to build a house without a solid foundation/structure.

---------------------------------------------------------------
By: PUPSTAHS [ Reply ]

has the story changed much over the years?
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, a good bit, and it's continually getting tweaked. But the levels you visit have been locked a while. It's pretty easy to make plot alterations and still weave them into existing levels though.
------------------------------------------------------------------
By: jedi_27 [ Reply ]

woah . . . can we ask if you are still using the UNREAL engine ?

Yeah, but just the overall structure. Editor, scripting language, networking etc. We've completely gutted and written our own AI system, rendering, particles, skeletal animation and more so it won't look/feel like an Unreal game at all I don't think.

In hindsight, I don't think licensing an engine was a smart move for us. We're pretty uncompromising in what we want to do, so we don't like having limitations. What killed us was not having the programming staff to do what we wanted to do effectively and not recognizing that for a long time. Chalk that up to inexperience.
---------------------------------------------------------------
By: ease_one [ Reply ]

I just imagine that the code by now is an insane spiderweb of old and new stuff. I am thinking that rolling your own engine would be much cleaner, maybe less buggy too, or atleast easier to fix the bugs. Hmm, goodluck with all of that!
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, in hindsight, writing our own engine would have been the way to go, but that wasn't an option once we were so deep into things. We basically stepped back in early 2002, said "This just isn't going to work or be what we want" and spent most of 2002 re-writing things to get us where we needed to be, once and for all. Most of 2003 was spent on content creation and hring new people. Once we were able to make progress, content creation bottlenecks emerged that needed to be dealt with.

So, it's been an interesting journey, but one I do not recommend be repeated, by anyone, ever Haha...
---------------------------------
By: Ajax [ Reply ]

This is actually quite encouraging.
You're talking like you guys are pretty close to that light at the end of the tunnel.

I'll refrain from asking the obvious, but thank you for the update!

One of the guys at the office summed it up perfectly a few months ago. He said we finally FOUND the tunnel
By: jedi_27 [ Reply ]

wow thats really interesting. one more question, sorry to bug you. but are you using the physics engine that Epic and Valve are using ?

i don't know how the licenese agreements work with the UNREAL engine at all, sorry.

Epic is using MathEngine, and HL2 uses Havoc. We're on MathEngine because it was already partially integrated into Unreal when we licensed it.

Current system:
Cooler Master ATC-710-SX1 Silver Aluminum Case\2 Blue Cold Cathode Lights\4 COOLER MASTER TLF-R82 Neon L.E.D. Fans\Antec[TrueBlue] 480 watt Power Supply with 2 blue LED fans\Intel D875PBZLK 875P Canterwood Gigabit LAN 8X AGP\Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz 512k 800MHz FSB | socket 478 w/ Hyper Threading Technology\Zalman CNPS5700D-CU Pure Copper CPU Cooler for Socket 478\2 sticks of Corsair DDR400 512MB PC-3200 C2 XMS | (extreme memory speed series\2 Seagate 80GB 7200rpm SERIAL ATA Barracudas\Radeon 9800 Pro 256 MB\LITE-ON 16x DVD 48x CD-ROM Drive\Lite On 52x24x52 CD-RW\Mitsumi 1.44 MB Floppy Drive\Cooler Master Round Floppy drive cable 18-inch with pull tabs\Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2\Logitech Z-680 5.1's\Mitsubishi DP930SB-BK 19" CRT Monitor\Microsoft Windows XP Professional
My Ibanez S2120XAV (Bridge PU - Steve's Special, Neck PU - Humbucker From Hell.)|AMP: Mesa Boogie Mark IV
My Taylor 814CE w/ Blender
ishak540m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-04, 05:40 AM   #2
StealthHawk

Hmm...I'll believe it when I see it. It doesn't sound like its close to completion or that they have abandoned their goal of having the best looking game if it is ever released. The bar is going to be raised by HL2, Doom3, and STALKER to name a few. Are they just going to rework the content and/or rendering engine again and again and again?

At some point if you ever want to complete a software project, you need to finalize some things and just say "that's it. We aren't changing this anymore." Hiring more people sounds like a good idea but is something that usually doesn't work(to get things out on time). I'm not sure these guys have learned their lessons yet; just too amibitious for their own good. If this game ever comes out it better not be a pile of crap like Daikatana.
Old 01-04-04, 03:58 PM   #3
NAZCA M12
Master Thief

Great news. So, they found the tunnel. Care to tell us how long that tunnel is?
P4 3,2@3,85GHz - Asus P4C800-E - 2Gb DDR-500 OCZ - 2x WD Raptors (Raid 0) - Creative Audigy 2 - ATI AIW 9800Pro - Antec 550W - LG GSA 4163b - NEC ND-3540A - Viewsonic VG700 - Antec Plus 660 AMG - Creative Inspire T7700 - Win98SE/XP
NAZCA M12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-04, 04:30 PM   #4
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick

This game is gonna be such a crap pile.

They simply have no talent to produce a good game, if they did, it would of been out a long time ago.

But their solution is to throw money at the problem, witch will get the game out of the door.

Basicly, they found that they cant finish the game, so they will hire people to do it for them, however these people will still have a grip of reality and actually do work heh.
Old 01-04-04, 05:23 PM   #5
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally posted by NAZCA M12
So, they found the tunnel. Care to tell us how long that tunnel is?
That's exactly what I'm wondering. It's one thing to find said tunnel but it's another matter entirely to find the end.

I'm not going to try and judge the final product but my money would be on crap.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-04, 05:56 PM   #6
jimbob0i0
ATI Geek

Send a message via ICQ to jimbob0i0 Send a message via Yahoo to jimbob0i0

Quote:
Originally posted by saturnotaku
That's exactly what I'm wondering. It's one thing to find said tunnel but it's another matter entirely to find the end.

I'm not going to try and judge the final product but my money would be on crap.
Let's hope when they see the light in the tunnel it doesn't turn out to be an oncoming train :P
Old 01-04-04, 07:43 PM   #7
Raptorman
Former Marine

Send a message via MSN to Raptorman Send a message via Yahoo to Raptorman

They'll get lost in the tunnel.

"Huh, what's that light? Run away!"
Not As Mean, Not As Lean, But Still A Marine
Ramadi 2006, 22 MEU 2007
3rd Battalion 8th Marines WPNS CO
"Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. They're aggressive on the attack and tenacious on defense. They've got really short hair and they always go for the throat."
RAdm. "Jay" R. Stark, USN; 10 November 1995
Raptorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-04, 05:35 AM   #8
NAZCA M12
Master Thief

Quote:
Originally posted by Raptorman
They'll get lost in the tunnel.

"Huh, what's that light? Run away!"
Heh, lovely. That's the quote we will see in a future interview 7 years from now Seriously, i'm beginning to feel sorry for them and hope they can finish their game ASAP. That way, they can start plans for a new DN game. I reckon that i might get to play DN5 in my eighties (if i'm ali *cough*, if it's ready)

At least we have to appreciate the fact even after such a fiasco, the head of the studio regularly talks to the fans in the fora and answers some of their questions. Which is not the same i could say for Warren in the ISA fora for example
P4 3,2@3,85GHz - Asus P4C800-E - 2Gb DDR-500 OCZ - 2x WD Raptors (Raid 0) - Creative Audigy 2 - ATI AIW 9800Pro - Antec 550W - LG GSA 4163b - NEC ND-3540A - Viewsonic VG700 - Antec Plus 660 AMG - Creative Inspire T7700 - Win98SE/XP
NAZCA M12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-04, 08:55 AM   #9
sytaylor
Cerebral Barbarian

With a Headline name like Duke Nukem they liscenced and engine?! Thats insane, with the amount of time they have been working on this product, and the sheer wad of cash that as gone into it, they could have built a solid engine from the ground up which would meet their requirements.

I can understand smaller development teams or teams on far tighter timescales liscencing, but otherwise it makes no sense to me to surrender your creative control.
Yuraku 24" Widescreen monitor

It saddens me that I need the following to post here:

Disclaimer: Any views expressed in the above post under the psuedonym "sytaylor" are entirely subjective and do not reflect the views of any business, company or entity associated with Simon Taylor. The use, copying of or editing of any materials within this post for professional purposes without written permission is stricly prohibitted under the UK Right of Privacy as provided in the Human Rights Act 1998 and the European Convention on Human Rights: Article 10 ECHR. Any attempt to use the information herin shall be subject to the Data Protection Act and Freedom of Information act, with damages being saught for defamation. This disclaimer applies to all text, images or media on this domain.

You have been warned.
My Blog
sytaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-04, 09:01 AM   #10
digitalwanderer

I'm still holding out hope that they put out a limited special edition that has all the beta builds in it as well as a documentary on the making of DNF.....THAT would sell! 8)
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-04, 11:58 AM   #11
Kev1

Smile Interesting, but....

He still gave no definit indication when game will be done. I know he can't, even ID can't do that for Doom3, but some idea would be nice. EB Games lists release date as 11/4/04. Would be great but I dont think DNF will be out this year just reading GBs comments

Also, if they are using Unreal engine I hope they mean Unreal 2 or better. Unreal was nice but its so 1998
Kev1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-04, 12:09 PM   #12
jimbob0i0
ATI Geek

Send a message via ICQ to jimbob0i0 Send a message via Yahoo to jimbob0i0

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
I'm still holding out hope that they put out a limited special edition that has all the beta builds in it as well as a documentary on the making of DNF.....THAT would sell! 8)
It'd be about 5 DVDs :P Hehe... I'd buy it though :P

YOU HEAR THAT 3DREALMS!!!???