Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-03-04, 03:37 PM   #1
Craig_miller

Angry Weird GPU fan prob

Hi,

I have a Gainward GeForce 4 Ti4200 in my shuttle SK41G, running Mandrake 9.2 with the 5328 drivers and the newest XF86.

Managed to get X working now with help from this fourm, which is great. But whenever my box loads up X the fan on my GPU revvs up and becomes incredibly noisy.

This is a problem that I never encountered with 4496 or 4363 under Mandrake 9.1. Can anyone suggest anything to sort this out. If you need anymore info just ask and I'll post it no problem.

Thanks in advance (from my ears, which are about to begin to bleed)
Craig_miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-04, 05:28 PM   #2
floam

I'm going to guess that your card has a temperature sensor on it an is speeding up the fan because it is getting hot. Maybe the new drivers are allowing this. If this is the case, you have a couple options: a) Cool your case better, which may make the GPU not get as hot and not need the extra rpm'age. b) Get a quieter fan for your card. They are easy to replace.

While, A is probably the easiest, B is more likely to actually work.
floam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-04, 06:17 PM   #3
Craig_miller

Thanks for the reply.

If the GPU was getting hot in linux surely in Windows fan would speed up, but its not. The fan stays very quiet.

And the fan that is on the GPU isn't the stock one - it is a Thermaltake one. Which supposedly runs at 29dba. But I dont think that it is at all. Any more ideas??

I thought that there may be some kind of option that I could put in my config file to limit the voltage - but maybe I'm just dreaming. Any more help would be great.

Thanks
Craig_miller is offline   Reply With Quote