Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Rumor Mill

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-14-02, 07:42 AM   #1
Philibob
Registered User
 
Philibob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: North West England
Posts: 284
Send a message via ICQ to Philibob Send a message via AIM to Philibob
Question Will NVIDIA always be behind? (in release dates)

The NV30 will probably be only available to buy at the end of the year (or if anything else goes wrong, next year). This would mean that NVIDIA is behind ATI.
But doesn't both companies have two different teams working on products? This would mean that the team working on NV35 would still finish on time and NVIDIA could have a product release about the same time as they usually have (around 1Q) next year. There are probably a few things to stop them:
If there are still problems with .13 manufacturing.
Would they want to realase a product that is faster than the one they have only just released as the sales of either product would then be low.
But would NVIDIA want to be behind ATI again in releasing their product.

What do you think?
Philibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-02, 07:57 AM   #2
Uttar
Registered User
 
Uttar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,354
Send a message via AIM to Uttar Send a message via Yahoo to Uttar
Default

They'll have a new product in Q1. Just not the same type of product. They'll most likely release notebook GPUs, new mainstream solutions, an evantual upgrade to the nForce 2 ( Nothing major, probably just some little fiddling to make it a little better for more bucks or a little worse for less bucks )

Their next "high-end" product will probably be in store for Q2 2003, or end Q1 2003. About 15/03 - 15/04 i guess.

But i still wonder when is the NV28 is going to come out...


Uttar
Uttar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-02, 12:14 PM   #3
Bigus Dickus
GF7 FX Ti 12800 SE Ultra
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 651
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Uttar

Their next "high-end" product will probably be in store for Q2 2003, or end Q1 2003. About 15/03 - 15/04 i guess.

But i still wonder when is the NV28 is going to come out...


Uttar
How can people keep deluding themselves by thinking NVIDIA will release the NV35 just a couple of months after the NV30???

How long did it take to go from the NV20 to the NV25? Around a year. Between those you got the NV20-Ti about 6 months after the NV20, and that wasn't even a new core, memory, or PCB... simply higher clock speeds and new drivers.

The NV35 should have some architectural changes over the NV30... and I promise you, it won't show up until late 2003 (about the time of the year the NV30 was supposed to show up).

NV35 in March? Riiight. NV will ship the NV30 in January and turn around two months later with a new core... not going to happen. When's the last time NV produced a new core (not just a "different core" as in a different product line or segment, but a true successor) less than one year after the previous generation?

I think the R350 might show up by May or June, if all goes well. The NV35 might show up by August or September, if all goes well, and I doubt we'll see the R400 until 2004.
Bigus Dickus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-02, 12:26 PM   #4
pelly
Registered User
 
pelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 681
Default

I wouldn't be surprised if NVIDIA made plans to spoil R350's launch in May or June....that would represent the "traditional" 6 month product cycle. It would be a bit more aggressive than the usual NVIDIA moves, but it would surely make a big impact.

pelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-02, 05:24 PM   #5
Bigus Dickus
GF7 FX Ti 12800 SE Ultra
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 651
Default

Contrary to popular delusion, NVIDIA is not on a six-month product cycle, at least if you take new product to mean new GPU.

NV10 to NV15 = ~ 1 year
NV15 to NV20 = ~ 1 year
NV20 to NV25 = ~ 1 year
NV25 to NV30 = ~ 1 year

In between (~6 months) we get the "refreshes," which have never been a different core. There was the GeForce256 DDR (NV11), GF2 Ultra/Pro (NV16), GF3 Ti (NV20-Ti) and the GFX??? (NV28). The only one that is even slightly different is the NV28, and that is only to add AGP 8X.

Anyone who expects the NV35 to be out any sooner than late 2003 is deluding themselves.
Bigus Dickus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-02, 06:19 PM   #6
Dazz
"TOON ARMY!"
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Newcastle, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,138
Send a message via AIM to Dazz
Default

In fact you are wrong it's ATI thats behind.
Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-02, 09:50 PM   #7
StealthHawk
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Will NVIDIA always be behind? (in release dates)

Quote:
Originally posted by Philibob
The NV30 will probably be only available to buy at the end of the year (or if anything else goes wrong, next year). This would mean that NVIDIA is behind ATI.
But doesn't both companies have two different teams working on products? This would mean that the team working on NV35 would still finish on time and NVIDIA could have a product release about the same time as they usually have (around 1Q) next year. There are probably a few things to stop them:
If there are still problems with .13 manufacturing.
Would they want to realase a product that is faster than the one they have only just released as the sales of either product would then be low.
But would NVIDIA want to be behind ATI again in releasing their product.

What do you think?
you are forgetting that ATI's R350 will be on .13 produced at TSMC. if nvidia runs into problems with NV35, ATI will run into them as well.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-02, 10:05 PM   #8
StealthHawk
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Bigus Dickus
Contrary to popular delusion, NVIDIA is not on a six-month product cycle, at least if you take new product to mean new GPU.

NV10 to NV15 = ~ 1 year
NV15 to NV20 = ~ 1 year
NV20 to NV25 = ~ 1 year
NV25 to NV30 = ~ 1 year

In between (~6 months) we get the "refreshes," which have never been a different core. There was the GeForce256 DDR (NV11), GF2 Ultra/Pro (NV16), GF3 Ti (NV20-Ti) and the GFX??? (NV28). The only one that is even slightly different is the NV28, and that is only to add AGP 8X.

Anyone who expects the NV35 to be out any sooner than late 2003 is deluding themselves.
NV10 to NV15 was 6 months. chips prior to that were also on the 6 month schedule. NV20 was the first chip to break the cycle, because nvidia was busy working on NV2A for XBox. depending on who you believe, GF4 was ready on time in Fall. depending on when NV30 gets out the door, it still might be closer to 6 months than 1 year.
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-02, 12:39 AM   #9
Bigus Dickus
GF7 FX Ti 12800 SE Ultra
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 651
Default

They released the GeForce256, then the GeForce 256 DDR, and within 6 months of the original GeForce 256 SDR they launched the GF2?

I didn't remember it that way... but it's been a while. I didn't actually go looking for dates or anything, just going off of memory.

So... NV15 to NV20 was a year, NV20 to NV25 was a year, and NV25 to NV30 will be at least 10 months.

And some people expect to see the NV35 in the spring?
Bigus Dickus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-02, 12:46 AM   #10
StealthHawk
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

i would say it depends on how much of a fight R350 puts up. if R350 trounces NV30, we can be sure to see NV35 soon after.

or maybe we might just see another R8500-like move from nvidia, with a slightly higher clocked standard part being released if R350 doesn't blow away NV30.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-02, 06:51 AM   #11
Uttar
Registered User
 
Uttar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,354
Send a message via AIM to Uttar Send a message via Yahoo to Uttar
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Bigus Dickus
How can people keep deluding themselves by thinking NVIDIA will release the NV35 just a couple of months after the NV30???
I think ya need glasses Let me quote myself:

Quote:
Originally posted by Uttar
Their next "high-end" product will probably be in store for Q2 2003
Who the heck talked about the NV35 here? What i meant is that the successor to the NV30 will be in store for Q2 2003. That card could be a little overclocked version of the NV30. Or it could be something like the NV32.

And if it's the NV35, it won't have any major changes i guess, they won't have the time to work a lot on it.
Look at the R250. Logically, according to the name, it should have major architectural changes. Good luck finding that!


On that next high-end chip, i think they'll mostly increase a few specific systems performance: better aniso, new mode of AA ( same as quincux, but for 4x instead of 2x ) , ...
Nothing major, but still pretty nice


Uttar
Uttar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-02, 02:00 PM   #12
netviper13
Treehugger
 
netviper13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 942
Default

It won't be hard at all for nVidia to release NV35 very soon after NV30 is released. The move to .13 gives them quite a bit of room to hike up the clock speeds.
netviper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NVIDIA Showcases GPU Breakthroughs at IBC 2012 News Archived News Items 0 09-07-12 11:10 AM
The Nvidia Forums Are Still Not Available, Finally We Know Why News Archived News Items 0 07-14-12 06:10 AM
Nvidia GeForce 302.80 drivers for Win8 Release Preview DSC NVIDIA Windows Graphics Drivers 1 06-15-12 03:40 AM
FreeBSD 9 Release with Nvidia 550 Ti configuration issues goga NVIDIA FreeBSD 0 05-23-12 09:34 AM
Need Help Installing NVIDIA Tesla M2070Q in Linux RHEL5 Ferianto85 NVIDIA Linux 0 05-18-12 09:35 PM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.