Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-05-04, 09:28 PM   #1
Gator
Unreal Tournament Gamer

Default FX5900SE vs GF4TI4400

I currently own a GF4 TI4400. I'm relatively happy with it, and have been using it well since Summer 2002. Be honest, would I really notice a difference in DX8 or lower games? I don't care about AA/AF. I currently mostly play UT, UT2k3, & Halo. Future game interests include UT2k4, Doom3, and Stalker. Obviously for the DX9 games I'll probably be forced to get a DX9 card, so do you think I should wait or will I benefit enough from an FX5900SE now?
Old 01-05-04, 09:31 PM   #2
digitalwanderer

Dang it, I never tried a 5900se. I went from a GF4 ti4400 to a 9500 Pro, then to a 9700 Pro....

I'd be happy to talk your ear off to the advantages of upgrading from a GF4 ti4400 to an R3xx series card if you'd like...
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-04, 09:40 PM   #3
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

The 256-bit memory interface of the 5900SE will be a big help in Halo and other things that might be fillrate intensive. Other than that it doesn't seem like you're playing games that stress your video subsystem too terribly. I've owned a lot of video cards since my Ti4600 and this FX5900 I have right now is right up there. If you get an FX, you'll be able to take advantage of the image quality improvements that AA and AF offer without suffering too much in terms of performance, provided you keep these options reasonable.

I personally love playing Half-Life with 8xS AA and 8x AF. Looks far better on this card than it ever did on my ATI cards.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-04, 09:40 PM   #4
Gator
Unreal Tournament Gamer

No thanks Dig Gonna go NV this time around me thinks. Got my reasons
Old 01-05-04, 09:46 PM   #5
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by Gator
No thanks Dig Gonna go NV this time around me thinks. Got my reasons
No prob. That's why I asked before I went into me rant.

G'luck, lemme know what you think of it. There was a really good deal on a 5900np for $188 in another thread if'n you're interested.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
Old 01-05-04, 09:57 PM   #6
Gator
Unreal Tournament Gamer

well Dig, not getting it yet, just thinking about it, wanted some feedback

Sat - you make a good point, maybe I COULD use some AA/AF with the FX where as now I really shouldn't. Maybe I could see what I've been missing. But for me, FPS is the important thing, I like to compete online
Old 01-05-04, 10:00 PM   #7
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by Gator
well Dig, not getting it yet, just thinking about it, wanted some feedback
Well I'll just be quiet then. I think I'm just hyped up because I should be getting my new GF4 ti4400 this week and I kind of am looking forward to playing with an nV card again after so long.
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
Old 01-06-04, 01:23 AM   #8
cthellis
Hoopy frood

You'd probably get a reasonable hop in Halo, but I don't think you'd notice too much in the other games. Offhand, since you're not really worrying about AA/AF and on a "wait and see" state with future games, I'd suggest waiting and seeing on future cards as well. We're close enough to the next generation anyway, and in the meanwhile cards do nothing but get cheaper.
cthellis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-04, 09:11 AM   #9
Gator
Unreal Tournament Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by cthellis
You'd probably get a reasonable hop in Halo, but I don't think you'd notice too much in the other games. Offhand, since you're not really worrying about AA/AF and on a "wait and see" state with future games, I'd suggest waiting and seeing on future cards as well. We're close enough to the next generation anyway, and in the meanwhile cards do nothing but get cheaper.
well said, I'm gonna wait then since everything is running ok for the moment. When Doom3 and Stalker come out, if I'm not happy with the GF4TI's performance, then maybe by then a new card will be out making the FX5900NU and FX5700U super cheap!

Thanks for the feedback all.
Old 01-06-04, 09:35 AM   #10
S.I.N
UnRegistered User

I am glad you came to that conclusion Gator because I made a upgrade from a Ti4400 to a 5900NU and it wasn't as huge as some claim and was very pissed off at this fact after hearing all the hype. Yes I was able to max of BF1942 and run Halo better but that fact is I didnt see much of a difference as some claim without AA or AF which I really didnt care for anyway. Atleast the difference was not worth the upgrade and the cost I had to sell my card under priced. I would even go as far as to say some of my games ran worse and buggy with my FX, namely games on the quake engine. I dont know why I uppgraded when all my games ran mostly maxed out with no problems at all. I hope the next generation treats me better.
S.I.N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-04, 09:57 AM   #11
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942

get a albatron 5700. you can overclock it past the 5700 ultra settings.
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote