Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-01-04, 07:39 PM   #1
zivilian

Default Glide Wrapper

Anyone know a good glide wrapper that works with tribes 1 i tryed a few but most dotn work or are very bad
zivilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-04, 08:22 PM   #2
The Baron

can't you just use OpenGL?
Old 01-01-04, 08:40 PM   #3
zivilian

yea but im jsut seeing what the diffrence is some people say glide works better i duno
Old 01-01-04, 09:13 PM   #4
The Baron

Quote:
Originally posted by zivilian
yea but im jsut seeing what the diffrence is some people say glide works better i duno
Tribes fanboys. They're completely full of ****--a friend of mine wanted me to build him a computer--a 2Ghz P4 with a gig of RAM, RAID, and a Voodoo3 for Tribes. I refused.
Old 01-01-04, 09:20 PM   #5
|JuiceZ|

Send a message via Skype™ to |JuiceZ|

Quote:
Originally posted by The Baron
Tribes fanboys. They're completely full of ****--a friend of mine wanted me to build him a computer--a 2Ghz P4 with a gig of RAM, RAID, and a Voodoo3 for Tribes. I refused.
sad, sad.....
hometheater KURO PDP-5020 | Marantz SR6005 | Definitive BP7001s, CLR3000, BPVXPs
|JuiceZ| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-04, 09:27 PM   #6
zivilian

lol well im not obsessed with it i just herd it runs better but i havnt been able to run glide to find out
Old 01-01-04, 09:31 PM   #7
The Baron

Quote:
Originally posted by zivilian
lol well im not obsessed with it i just herd it runs better but i havnt been able to run glide to find out
back when Tribes FIRST came out, there was only Glide support. and then they added GL support in a patch. and GL support was improved to the point where it didn't make a difference. but the Tribes community (that I have complained about bitterly on many occasions) is made up of almost as many idiots as the CS community, and a lot of them still swear by Glide.
Old 01-01-04, 09:39 PM   #8
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Quote:
Originally posted by The Baron
LOL! God, that's a good one. He could've at LEAST asked for a Voodoo 5! Or better yet, build him a 400 mhz computer with a Voodoo 3, and then bill him for a 2 ghz computer. He won't know the difference

Oh, and there are a few games that have better effects with Glide (or simply don't support D3D/OGL), but I'm not sure if Tribes is one of them. If you play Carmageddon 2 or Diablo 2 (well, before patches anyway), then the Glide wrapper might help, but for Tribes I don't think it's worth it.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-04, 10:35 PM   #9
zivilian

ahh ok ty
Old 01-02-04, 02:32 AM   #10
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by Edge
Oh, and there are a few games that have better effects with Glide (or simply don't support D3D/OGL), but I'm not sure if Tribes is one of them. If you play Carmageddon 2 or Diablo 2 (well, before patches anyway), then the Glide wrapper might help, but for Tribes I don't think it's worth it.
I don't think there are any Glide wrappers that support the version of Glide used by Diablo2. At least, I couldn't find any when I looked back in the day.

I thought the rendering engine was junk(it probably is), but Diablo2 is really just a memory hog.
Old 01-02-04, 03:10 AM   #11
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Oh, I wasn't sure if there were any that supported Diablo 2, I just kinda assumed given how glidecentric that game was back in the day (no colored lights, spell transparencies, and many other graphic effects in D3D).

And yeah, the Diablo 2 engine was pretty inefficient. I think it's Glide mode is ok, but even then it seems to use a hell of a lot more ram then it needs to. Even Warcraft 3 uses less memory and overall just runs smoother, I think.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-04, 03:15 AM   #12
Moled
cheese

Quote:
Originally posted by Edge
LOL! God, that's a good one. He could've at LEAST asked for a Voodoo 5! Or better yet, build him a 400 mhz computer with a Voodoo 3, and then bill him for a 2 ghz computer. He won't know the difference

pffft
with glide you get the rain on raindance, which you didn't get with opengl

why would you need any reason other than that?
Moled is offline   Reply With Quote