Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-09-04, 06:03 AM   #1
helamonster

Send a message via ICQ to helamonster Send a message via AIM to helamonster Send a message via Yahoo to helamonster
Default xv driver and flickering lines in videos

When using the nvidia display driver (v5328) and the XV video output driver to play video files with mplayer, I sometimes get corrupt (garbled) video output.

This is only noticable with desktop resolutions of 1600x1200 and up. The video gets worse as the desktop resolution increases. It also gets worse if the video output is resized up (i.e. a 320x240 video played at 800x600). Interestingly, the problem does not exist when I'm in video mode 1600x1200x16x60 (16bpp, 60hz refresh rate), but does when I'm in 1600x1200x16x75. That seems to be the highest res/bpp/rr I can do without causing problems.

This may be related to the troubleshooting note I found at:
http://nvidia.com/object/linux_readme_install.html
that says:
Quote:
Fixed problem on TNT and TNT2 where Xv(Shm)PutImage returned BadAlloc in high resolutions when there was not enough video bandwidth to display the YUV video overlay correctly. This works now but the resulting display has artifacts.
I do not call that a fix!

I also found a thread which discusses other people's problems with the same bug:
http://prak.org/pipermail/avifile/2001-June/002167.html

A little info for you:
My CPU: AMD Athlon 1200Mhz
My GPU: nVidia Riva TNT (STB Velocity 4400) (16MB) (please don't laugh!)
Note: This problem showed up on every version of the nVidia driver I have ever used. It shows up on XFree 4.3.0 and older versions (4.2.1 I think)

I don't think this problem has anything to do with any of my video settings, but, I have attached a copy of my XF86Config file just in case.

Please advise as to your knowledge (if any) on the subject and any known fixes and/or workarounds or when it is expected to be fixed.

--
Jeremy "Helamonster" Smith
helamonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-04, 08:27 PM   #2
irv_sfs

have you got a TFT monitor? if so its this bug:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...ug+black+lines

which nvidia refuse to acknowledge... if not, good luck!
irv_sfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-04, 02:00 PM   #3
helamonster

Send a message via ICQ to helamonster Send a message via AIM to helamonster Send a message via Yahoo to helamonster

Thanks for the info, but no, I do not have a TFT monitor.
I am using a run of the mill 17" SVGA monitor (Phillips Brilliance 107P).
By the way, don't ever buy that monitor.

I read that other thread and tried every combination of the nvAGP value (even rebooted between changes just in case), but still have the same problem.

For now, I guess I will just have to switch to low res (1600x1200x16x60) when watching videos. I normally run my desktop at 1920x1440x16x60.

I tried taking a screenshot of the video, but can't seem to get the xv video output in the screenshot (its all blue). Maybe I'll take a shot with a camera...
helamonster is offline   Reply With Quote