Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-09-04, 03:08 AM   #1
Prommy
King of the hill

Send a message via ICQ to Prommy
Unhappy gdm failing on first start

Hi.
Since upgrading to xorg 6.8.1 I've had this very strange trouble. When gdm is started (from inittab, I boot directly into level 5), I can see X trying to start two times and on the third try it succeeds. This is the same every time I boot. In my /var/log/messages I get the following line: "gdm[2188]: gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error - Restarting :0"

I've searched the web and can't seem to find any answer to this. According to gnome bugzilla this is a problem with X. Can it be nvidia drivers being incompatible with xorg 6.8.1?

I'm running nvidia drivers 6111 and kernel 2.6.9-rc2.

/Daniel
Prommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-04, 03:50 AM   #2
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

Default Re: gdm failing on first start

Are you running Fedora by any chance? Is there a gnome bugzilla number you can point me to? I haven't seen this behavior using xorg 6.8.1, gdm-2.6.0.5-4, and 2.6.9-rc3 and newer kernels. What gdm version are you using?
Old 10-11-04, 04:14 AM   #3
Prommy
King of the hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordMorgul
Are you running Fedora by any chance? Is there a gnome bugzilla number you can point me to? I haven't seen this behavior using xorg 6.8.1, gdm-2.6.0.5-4, and 2.6.9-rc3 and newer kernels. What gdm version are you using?
Yes, I'm running Fedora. I haven't filed any bugzilla bug since I can't really put my finger on what to write in a bug report. This is just strange! I'm running gdm 2.6.0.5-4. I'm still on kernel 2.6.9-rc2 though, since there seemed like too much job to get nvidia drivers running on rc3.

Could this be a gdm issue? Is there any point in downgrading gdm and trying?

/Daniel
Old 10-11-04, 04:34 AM   #4
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

No, if I think most likely it is the udev issue, the devices not being configured and the module loaded early enough, so it fails loading X because the module isn't loaded. I may be succeeding for you just in time to catch the third module load attempt. Search bugzilla for udev issues, and also take a look backward through the fedora-dev and fedora-test mailing lists for udev & nvidia. Your udev version is? (mine udev-034-2, if you're using older update)

I forgot about this one when I posted first, but scanning my mail archive its in there. There are a few fixes discussed, mostly just loading the module explicitly for now.
Old 10-11-04, 06:25 AM   #5
Prommy
King of the hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordMorgul
No, if I think most likely it is the udev issue, the devices not being configured and the module loaded early enough, so it fails loading X because the module isn't loaded.
Yep, you're right, it was (is) a udev issue. A quick googling took me to this url. I followed the advices (under the Nvidia section near the bottom), and inserted the two lines to manually create nvidia0 and nvidiactl into my startup script. Now it works like a charm. Thanks for the tip!

Seems a bit like a quick and dirty hack though...

/Daniel
Old 10-13-04, 03:41 AM   #6
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

It is a hack, but (hopefully) udev updates will fix it, or already have. Make sure and keep your udev updated and see if this gets fixed a better way soon.
Old 10-15-04, 10:52 AM   #7
JRepin

Could my problem be related to this? Sometimes when XOrg starts (KDM shows up) it is using some very low resolution (like 640x480). I have to restart XOrg after that to get it to 1280x1024 which is set as my first resolution in xorg.conf.