Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-27-04, 10:42 AM   #13
catimimi

I just tried the new 5336 release which is told to solve the AGP problems on some nvidia cards and text consoles are always garbled

I'm back to release 4363. I think I'll try to detect the differences between builds 4363 (which works) and 4460 (which doesn't work)
catimimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-04, 12:30 PM   #14
Andy Mecham
l33t master

Console restore problems can be caused by several things. It's always good to make sure you have the latest video bios for your card (which should be available from your card manufacturer's webpage), as that can often clean up newly appearing console restore issues.

--andy
Old 01-27-04, 12:42 PM   #15
catimimi

Hi,

Many thanks to Nvidia people for their job and to take time to look at this forum.

Unfortunately, my Bios is the latest one from MSI as reported by MSI Live VGA update.

I suspect something around my VIA chipset and AGP Pro slot. My AGP strength is set to 0xEA.

If I can be of any help, I'm ready to test , test ... and test. I've a clone system so I can't break anything on my working machine.

Michel
Old 01-27-04, 12:51 PM   #16
Andy Mecham
l33t master

catimimi: if you're using a framebuffer driver (like riva or vesafb), can you try not using it and see if that makes a difference? What specific vbios are you using?

--andy
Old 01-27-04, 01:03 PM   #17
catimimi

I've vesafb compiled in the kernel in order to use a bootsplash screen at boot. It works with release 4363.

I remember that if I use only VGA console, everything is OK. What I would like is to have something else than 640x480 at boot even in text mode.

To morrow (in France) I'll recompile without vesafb and let you know. I never used rivafb.

Michel.
Old 01-27-04, 11:04 PM   #18
peter

After installing SuSE 9.0 I got a scrambled X display every time I booted the computer. However, the display showed up correctly, after restarting the kdm (Ctrl-Alt-Backspace).

To overcome this problem, I've installed NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run (without any problems). The X-Problem was gone, but I had scrambled consoles as already described in this thread.

It also helped to include the line
Option "IgnoreDisplayDevices" "TV"
in the Section "Device" in /etc/X11/XF86Config. I had to reboot my computer after this change.

I have an
AMD XP-2400+
on
K7N2G (MSI mainboard)
with
on-board NVIDIA nForce2 IGP

It seems that this problem is caused by the NVIDIA driver.

I'm desperately looking forward to a bugfix by NVIDIA.

Last edited by peter; 01-27-04 at 11:13 PM.
peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-04, 02:50 AM   #19
catimimi

Post To Andy Mecham NVIDIA

Hi,

Here I am, and here are the results of my tests with release 5336.

If you disable VESA Graphics in the kernel, no more garbled text consoles but BLACK SCREEN !

If you disable VESA Graphics and VGA Graphics, the kernel won't compile if you leave bootsplash enabled. Boot splash needs a framebuffer.

So I disabled VESA, VGA and Bootsplash and I got good text consoles but only in text mode 80x25.

I would tell Three things :

- this mode is not suitable for people who (as me) own a 21' screen.
- Most of the distros ( RH , SuSE) enable vesafb and bootsplast by default.
Not everybody will want to recompile his kernel.
- I came from Matrox to Nvidia since TV-out worked on LInux, so I don't want as suggested above to disable TV !

Anyway, we have here a very good working driver, it would be the top if vesafb was working as in release 4363.

Ready to test and modify.

Thanks again for your work and for your help.

Michel.
Old 01-28-04, 03:18 AM   #20
fizz

Default Re: XFree 4.3 garbles text consoles

Quote:
Originally posted by delt
- VGA 80x50, 80x43 text modes: X restores the physical mode to 80x25, so i can't read the bottom half of the screen.

.... so, it seems i'm stuck with this ridiculous 80x25 console mode until this
bug is fixed..........
I have exactly the same problem with a
GeForce 2 GTS
Athlon 900

The last driver revision that works for me is 4363. All later ones appear broken.
fizz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-04, 11:43 AM   #21
Andy Mecham
l33t master

Quote:
- I came from Matrox to Nvidia since TV-out worked on LInux, so I don't want as suggested above to disable TV !
The IgnoreDisplayDevices option was added as a workaround for some video bioses that contained incorrect information, which would cause the 5 minute wait for X to start. If you're seeing that wait, and you want to use your TV, you should get an updated video bios from your card vendor.

--andy
Old 01-28-04, 02:18 PM   #22
delt

Send a message via ICQ to delt

> make sure you have the latest video bios for your card (which should be available
> from your card manufacturer's webpage) [ ... ] was added as a workaround for some
> video bioses that contained incorrect information, which would cause [ ... ] you
> should get an updated video bios from your card vendor.

Also, make sure you're wearing clean pants, socks that match, and don't forget mittens if it's cold. Otherwise NVIDIA's driver willl **** up on you. BUT of course it's not their fault, and there's nothing wrong with their drivers. Go complain to "your video card manufacturer".
delt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-04, 02:21 PM   #23
Andy Mecham
l33t master

Quote:
Go complain to "your video card manufacturer".
Yes, exactly. NVIDIA does not manufacture or sell video cards. A video bios upgrade is needed from the vendor who made the card, as it will be specific to their product.

--andy
Old 01-28-04, 02:55 PM   #24
delt

Send a message via ICQ to delt

Well, thank you so much for your very helpful, kind and generous assistance, mr. microsoft tech support.
delt is offline   Reply With Quote