Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-14-04, 12:03 AM   #1
PanzerGEN

Default "nvpanel" audio configuration

Hi, I see from the latest nforce driver README that 6 channel output is enabled by using an Audio Control Panel. However I cannot find this utility upon installation, and running "nvpanel" does nothing. Is there a separate file for this utility? Where can I obtain "nvpanel"?

Thanks,
Matt Davidson
PanzerGEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-04, 11:16 AM   #2
Phil_FR_

Default Re: "nvpanel" audio configuration

Same problem: Where is this *nvpanel* ??????????

Regards

Philippe

Fedora Core 1
Phil_FR_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-04, 01:15 PM   #3
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel

if i were guessing your problems lie in the fact that you aren't using nvidia's closed source drivers that include the utility... you're using alsa.

if your sound works at all and you've got the 2.6 kernel, then you must be using alsa (with the soundstorm card that is).

my suggestion to you: alsamixergui -- or just alsamixer

good luck.
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-04, 10:48 AM   #4
FraGMenT

Question Re: "nvpanel" audio configuration

I guys, my first reply

I use gnu/linux debian and there is not any .deb package so i musta use the tar.gz
I dont use alsa, I still use OSS from 2.4.26 kernel. I would like to know how to activate the 6 channels cuz it seems the nvpanel utility isnt in the sources of the package

Really tnx
FraGMenT

PD: sorry 4 my english, but hey, im spanish
FraGMenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-04, 12:58 PM   #5
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel

you need to get the closed-source nvidia audio drivers from www.nvidia.com afaik
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-04, 03:46 PM   #6
lunix3

Unhappy Re: "nvpanel" audio configuration

Howdy
I am using Slack 9.1 (2.4.22 kernel) on an Asus a7n266-vm mobo w/nforce 1 chipset
I installed proprietary nforce 1.0-0274 drivers from source tarball and am also having trouble finding "nvpanel"
I have searched by name w/ no results. no binaries, no links, nada.
Otherwise install worked fine -- plain old stereo. previous nforce install was also legit -- no alsa in that setup. Seems latest nv audio release is missing some screws. I now have ALSA setup as a stopgap until a soloution materializes. anybody actually using nvpanel successfully out there?

Last edited by lunix3; 05-31-04 at 04:08 PM.
lunix3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-04, 04:01 PM   #7
Spriggan

hey guys (and girls)

Also just downloaded the nforce drivers, 1.0-0274 and also missing the "nvpanel" application???

i have used ALSA and the nvaudio OSS driver, both work with sound, but no nvidia audio control panel

--Spriggan
Spriggan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-04, 01:43 AM   #8
Spriggan

it appears that you can now download the nvpanel as a stand alone RPM or the source code.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.0-0274

see step 5 at the bottom. gonna try it tonight

--Spriggan

Old 06-06-04, 06:04 PM   #9
HighTemplar
GF4 MX440 AGP8X

well...after installing the nforce drivers found myself in exactly the same situation as you do. I tried to execute the command 'NVAUDIO" (same as in Windows) and voilá...the nForce Audio Panel appeared on screen.
However the panel is useless (particularly here) because it doesn't let me set up the the speakers nor the volume levels.
Still looking for the answer....

Hope this works for you.
HighTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-04, 05:53 AM   #10
Spriggan

Hi HighTemplar

The NVAUDIO app works fine on my machine, very happy with it the solution might lie in the loaded modules fo your system. If you are using alsa sound, i don't think this app will work. the following line has to be in the modules.conf file

alias sound-slot-0 nvaudio

Then when in X, run the app and check the third tab, it should tell you the driver version numbers and then it should work.

Good luck
--Spriggan
Old 06-23-04, 09:08 AM   #11
blueworm
[DEADAGAIN]blueworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamel
you need to get the closed-source nvidia audio drivers from www.nvidia.com afaik
Nvaudio is open source it is the nvnet drivers that are closed-sorce.
Registered linux user #271604 Get Counted! http://counter.li.org/
lianLi PC60, OCZ powerStream 520W PSU, Asus P5N-E SLI, Core 2 duo E6550, 2Gb GEIL, XFX 8800GT, TB SantaCruz
blueworm is offline   Reply With Quote