Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-22-04, 03:27 PM   #1
digitalwanderer

Thumbs up "Future Confusion"

I hope someone at least has noticed that I haven't been pimping Elite Bastards as much around here, but Hanners has just posted a story on FutureMark and the confusion surrounding approved/un-approved drivers and I think it's worth posting up and sharing....please don't kill me.

You can check it out over here at EB.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-04, 05:18 PM   #2
Peace Angel

Of course it's worth. I'll go and read!
Peace Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-04, 05:59 PM   #3
DMA
Zzzleepy

Well, if 3dmark-03 wasn't dead before, this is the final kick in the head for sure.

When is the funeral? Gonna send some flowers.
Old 01-22-04, 07:57 PM   #4
StealthHawk

3dmark03 is dead. Long live 3dmark04! Bring on PS3.0/V3.0!
Old 01-22-04, 07:59 PM   #5
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by DMA
Well, if 3dmark-03 wasn't dead before, this is the final kick in the head for sure.

When is the funeral? Gonna send some flowers.
If they don't take any action to correct it, and do so quickly, I gotta agree with you.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-04, 01:47 AM   #6
Viral
Registered User of Women

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthHawk
3dmark03 is dead. Long live 3dmark04! Bring on PS3.0/V3.0!
Is 3dmark04 confirmed? i hope so, and i hope it's results are credible.. i don't want to buy either next gen card before i see their PS/VS3.0 performance. But i'm afraid there wont be a credible test out in time(still not sure how long i'm going to be able to wait for a next gen card).

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Viral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-04, 04:25 AM   #7
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by Viral
Is 3dmark04 confirmed? i hope so, and i hope it's results are credible.. i don't want to buy either next gen card before i see their PS/VS3.0 performance. But i'm afraid there wont be a credible test out in time(still not sure how long i'm going to be able to wait for a next gen card).
No idea about 3dmark04. It's just my assumption that Futuremark will do something for the new generation which will support PS3.0/VS3.0. Seeing as how far DX10 is. At the very least I would expect some update to 3dmark03 akin to 3dmark2001 -> 3dmark2001SE which included a PS1.4 test.
Old 02-11-04, 07:16 PM   #8
Richthofen

Default Re: "Future Confusion"

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
I hope someone at least has noticed that I haven't been pimping Elite Bastards as much around here, but Hanners has just posted a story on FutureMark and the confusion surrounding approved/un-approved drivers and I think it's worth posting up and sharing....please don't kill me.

You can check it out over here at EB.
who is futuremark, that they tell people which drivers are approved or not?
Are they a non profit organization? No they aren't.
Does this company consist of several people from several IHVs so that i can consider them as fair and independant - like the OpenGL ARB?
No!

They develop benchmarks to earn money. Enough information for me so that i don't trust them. I simply don't care what this small lousy company has to say or has not to say. I don't consider their products as valid and neutral benchmarks and that's why give a damn ... about their approved or non approved list. As long as they are a company seeking profits there is no guarantee for me that they are not deep in someones wallets for instance ATI or Nvidia.
Richthofen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-04, 09:03 PM   #9
StealthHawk

While being paid by IHVs does give them some conflicting interests, you do realize that NVIDIA is paying them, don't you? See big fat NVIDIA logo here. Yet that obviously hasn't stopped Futuremark from not certifying NVIDIA's latest official WHQL driver, 53.03!

It's there benchmark. Why shouldn't they be able to make rules dictating how it should be used properly? It's like getting a paycheck, cashing it, and then being told that you can't buy cheese with your money. It's your money; you can do whatever you want with it as long as that fits with the intention of legal tender.
[URL=http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25401]NVIDIA NV2x/NV3x FSAA Thread[/URL] | [URL=http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23427]Super Sampling + AF Thread[/URL] | [URL=http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=19604]NV3x Texture Filtering Thread[/URL]
[/size]
StealthHawk is offline   Reply With Quote