Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-09-03, 02:00 PM   #1
yoyogimo

Send a message via AIM to yoyogimo
Unhappy X server?

Hello. I'm a newbie to linux... fresh of the XP. I have a book, Sams Teach Yourself Red Hat Linux 9... and the manual that came with my wonderfully cheap box set of redhat9... neither of them say anything about,

X server.

Which I need to aparently have shut off for the installation of my Nvidia drivers, which at the moment I cannot get to work. Anyone out there know how to turn this bad boy off? I'm sure its simple but, so am I.

If you heard me out, thanks a bunch.
Old 08-09-03, 10:43 PM   #2
geowiz

Default Stopping the bad boy

Yep, it's simple. Linux usually has virtual terminals available.

To get to a command line terminal use ctrl-alt-F1 (F2-5 also work).
Change the run level to level 3 from level 5 by issuing the command telinit 3 . This puts you in full network and multiuser mode without X.
Install the Nvidia driver.
Then switch back to run level 5 with the command telinit 5.

Suggestion: make your edits to XF86Config before you do the install. It's easier in a text editor in X than in command line mode. Also, make a backup of the file PRIOR to the edit (copy it to say XF86Config_7_9_2003_backup). May save you some hassle if you have problems.

BTW, you can switch back to X (if running) from a virtual termal by using ctrl-alt-F7 (F7 normally but could be on F8). This shouldn't be needed for this exercise but it's handy to know.

Hope that this answers your question on killing X. I leave the Nvidia driver config and install to you and their instructions.

Good luck.
geowiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-03, 06:16 PM   #3
yoyogimo

Send a message via AIM to yoyogimo
Default Bingo

Thats mucho geowiz, your advice worked swimmingly. I am now fully equipped to kick some troll ass in neverwinter nights... tho... after all that nonesense I have no desire to play the game. Anyways, thanks a lot!! Later!
Old 01-22-04, 09:45 PM   #4
Ge|atinousFury

Sorry to resurrect this thread out of the grave, but I've installed the Nvidia graphics drivers in Fedora and I'm trying to edit my X86 config now......only problem is when I use the file browser and open the config file, I can't save it after I edit it. It won't let me save anything. How do I get to a text editor that will let me save changes?

Edit: found out about the vi command and I hit "i" to edit....but when I try "ZZ" to save and exit a red box comes up that says:

E45: 'readonly' option is set (add ! to override

??

Last edited by Ge|atinousFury; 01-22-04 at 09:53 PM.
Ge|atinousFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-04, 09:53 PM   #5
geowiz

Default Use the force Luke

To edit and save the XF86Config file you'll need root priv's.

Personally, I use sudo from my personal account to do almost all admin work. (man sudo )

Otherwise, log in as root and do the edit and save. Caution........ save a copy of the working XF86Config file! ( cp /etc/XF86Config /etc/XF86Config_1_21_2004.bck ) (date and indicate it is a backup ;-) )

Uh - if you need an editor try vi /etc/XF86Config . Do a man on vi - the most used text editor.
geowiz is offline   Reply With Quote