Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-18-04, 03:33 AM   #1
Dimensio

Default AMD 64 and nForce questions...

Urgh, I feel like I'm jumping in rather quickly here.

I'm going for an almost complete hardware upgrade in a few days, going from an AMD XP 1900+ to an AMD Athlon 64 3400+, along with new RAM, new hard drives, the works. I already have a GeForce FX5900, and I see little reason to upgrade that. I've decided on an nForce mainboard, because I've heard good things about them, though it only occured to me today the extent of kernel changes that I'll need to make if I want to keep things running.

The mainboard to be orderd is a CHAINTECH ZNF3-150 Zenith AMD64, as seen at http://www.gameve.com/gve/Store/Prod...u=MB-CHAIN-022
I'll be using my current ATA100 drive for Linux stuff, since I don't want to bother migrating to a new drive, though I'll be getting a pair of 80GB SATA drives run in RAID for WinXP, and I might be interested in mounting them in Linux if any support for that is available.

I'm going to be using whatever 2.6.x kernel is available when I get the system. I'm wondering what I'll need to do to activate the onboard networking and ATA drivers. Should I use stuff that's in the stock kernel, or should I get the nForce drivers from nvidia's site? How is the onboard sound support? I will proably stick with my Sound Blaster Live! card for Linux audio, unless anyone knows of a way to get wavetable MIDI from the nForce's onboard audio. Does the Broadcom network support work for this chipset, or will I need to stick with my 3Com network adapter? What about USB support? I have a CDR drive and a gamepad that both need USB support, so that's a requriement. I know that getting the GeForce drivers compiled for a 2.6.x kernel requires effort, because I've had to do it for my current setup, but are there additional complications for the AMD64 drivers?

Sorry to ramble so much, it's just that I'm scrambling to get things together and I'm not even sure of the right questions to ask.
Dimensio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-04, 07:56 AM   #2
TheOneKEA
Fifteen-K Saiyan Bastard

Location: Somewhere in England, waiting for ROTK and drooling over the A64 3000+
Send a message via ICQ to TheOneKEA Send a message via AIM to TheOneKEA Send a message via Yahoo to TheOneKEA

If you use 2.6.1, then your AGP will work OK (>90% chance). EIDE will work OK (>90% chance). SATA may require some fiddling to get functioning (>75% chance). As for the Broadcom chip, unless you can find out ahead of time exactly what kind of chip it is, you're not likely to get it to work.

If you're willing to invest a lot of time and patience, you can get a full 64bit distro onto that box and probably get everything working perfectly OK. Use Mandrake.

SCREW THE ADS! http://adblock.mozdev.org/
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire - Mozilla Firefox 0.8

Registered Linux User #289618
TheOneKEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-04, 11:42 AM   #3
serialdave
seldom posts

I have had VERY BAD dealings with gameve. I will never buy from them agasin because of there customer support and piss poor after sales attitude. You should be able to find a similar price at a reputible dealer like http://www.newegg.com

I ordered a mother bopard from them one time and when I got it it was a used abroken board. The heatsink retension tab on the cpu socket was broken and it had a stud and bolt cross threaded through a mounting whole on the board. It took them amonth to get it straight and it cost me over $15.00 in shipping by time it was all said and done.

I order more than 10 systems worth of equipment each month from newegg and never have trouble with them if I have a problem with hardware.
Old 01-18-04, 01:41 PM   #4
Dimensio

I had meant to mention this, since I thought that someone might respond as such. I only used the gameve product link because it was the first one that I found for my desired mainboard. I am actually planning to order everything from newegg. I already ordered the hard drives, RAM and case from there. The mainboard is out of stock at newegg, but I'll be ordering one as soon as it's in, as well as the CPU and anything else that I need.

I did order my GeForce FX5900 from Gameve and I didn't have problems, but I have since been informed of their unreliability.

In any case, my concern is over making my intended hardware work in Linux.
Old 01-18-04, 06:14 PM   #5
serialdave
seldom posts

On that note I can say though I am some what of a newbee I had little trouble using a link off of this board to install the nforce source rpm on mandrake 9.2

Sound netowrk and agp are all working great.

The nvidia run file for the latest drivers also worked great.

I have a shuttle nforce 2 and a geforce 2
Old 01-18-04, 07:50 PM   #6
Dimensio

Quote:
Originally posted by serialdave
On that note I can say though I am some what of a newbee I had little trouble using a link off of this board to install the nforce source rpm on mandrake 9.2

Sound netowrk and agp are all working great.

The nvidia run file for the latest drivers also worked great.

I have a shuttle nforce 2 and a geforce 2
Thing is, are you using an AMD 64 processor and a 2.6.x series kernel?

If it were just an nForce chipset with a 32-bit AMD processor and the 2.4.x series kernel, I wouldn't be asking any questions here
Old 01-18-04, 08:50 PM   #7
serialdave
seldom posts

I am not brave enough to try a new kernel yet. I have this rig running great on what is a starndard kernel source with a few modules removed that were not needed. But even that took a few trys and a kernel panic

I would hope that Nvidia didn't change the sound or network much for the 64 but there again I am just on a standard nforce 2 not an nforce 3 system.

Play with it on a small old harddrive until you get it right then set it up on your current ata drive
Old 01-19-04, 12:54 AM   #8
Dimensio

Quote:
Originally posted by serialdave
I am not brave enough to try a new kernel yet. I have this rig running great on what is a starndard kernel source with a few modules removed that were not needed. But even that took a few trys and a kernel panic

I would hope that Nvidia didn't change the sound or network much for the 64 but there again I am just on a standard nforce 2 not an nforce 3 system.

Play with it on a small old harddrive until you get it right then set it up on your current ata drive
Er, I think that people aren't understanding.
I already have a working Linux install with my current machine. I use the 2.6.1 kernel with the latest Nvidia driver. I know that I'll have to downgrade the driver, as Nvidia does not have a proper AMD 64 version of the latest driver out yet. What I'm interested in is knowing what to put into the kernel to make sure that my drives work, but I'm not exactly new when it comes to configuring systems. I just want to make sure that I'll be able to at least mount my filesystems when I start up.

Old 01-19-04, 03:11 AM   #9
TheOneKEA
Fifteen-K Saiyan Bastard

Location: Somewhere in England, waiting for ROTK and drooling over the A64 3000+
Send a message via ICQ to TheOneKEA Send a message via AIM to TheOneKEA Send a message via Yahoo to TheOneKEA

You realize of course that you won't get optimal performance from your 64bit system if you run 32bit code on it, right? You need to load a full 64bit-compiled distro in order to take complete advantage of the AMD64 architecture in Linux.

SCREW THE ADS! http://adblock.mozdev.org/
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire - Mozilla Firefox 0.8

Registered Linux User #289618
TheOneKEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-04, 03:33 AM   #10
Dimensio

Quote:
Originally posted by TheOneKEA
You realize of course that you won't get optimal performance from your 64bit system if you run 32bit code on it, right? You need to load a full 64bit-compiled distro in order to take complete advantage of the AMD64 architecture in Linux.
I'm aware of this. Of course, I don't have access to a 64-bit Windows XP (I don't want to deal with the time limit on the beta), so I'm taking this one step at a time.
Old 01-22-04, 09:03 PM   #11
buxom

Default athlon 64

I have a shuttle xpc with a athlon64 3400. I have had zero luck
in getting the network drivers to compile under either redhat 8 or 9.

I had to upgrade the bios to get the redhat 8 cd to boot. Not sure
what the deal was there.

I guess if you use suse enterprise 8 you are good to go.
buxom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-04, 09:06 PM   #12
Dimensio

Default Re: athlon 64

Quote:
Originally posted by buxom
I have a shuttle xpc with a athlon64 3400. I have had zero luck
in getting the network drivers to compile under either redhat 8 or 9.

I had to upgrade the bios to get the redhat 8 cd to boot. Not sure
what the deal was there.

I guess if you use suse enterprise 8 you are good to go.
I'm currently using Debian testing/unstable, and I don't plan to reinstall for awhile -- probably only once a true AMD 64-bit distro is available and in somewhat widespread use. I guess that I'll stick with my 3Com card until I can get proper network drivers.

My real concern is with the ATA/SATA drivers, as I require the ability to mount a ATA100 device and it would also be nice to be able to mount the RAID 0 SATA drives.