Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-19-04, 11:37 AM   #1
TMiller

Question Console errors (with working X)

Having browsed through the archives I see I'm not the only one to have this problem. Still I've not seen a solution.

After much trial and error, X works great. I get the NVidia splash screen and everything. Very professional.

But now all my consoles (ctrl-alt-1 ...) are foobar.

Past posts talk of system freezes or monitor errors but the basic problem (I'm pretty sure) is that the fallback (non-x) resolution/frequency is messed up. Everything is fine up until x starts. (Good basic question: why is X changing the default console resolution?)

I'll give my details although from what I've read in the archives, the error is not platform specific.

I'm on SuSE 9 with driver 5328. Attached is my XF86Config/XFree86 log (can this be an x problem??). I did read that switching the "Device" Driver in XF86Config from nvidia to nv might work, but then I'd lose 3D; a rude compromise I'd say.

I know you're out there...that special someone who's had this problem and cracked it. Now if you could just share your solution with the rest of us

Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: log xf86config+xfree86.0.log (35.7 KB, 167 views)
TMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-04, 03:22 PM   #2
rengels

Red face

Hi,
probably the console is only blank (except number zero, which shows funny blue and cyan boxes).

If this is the case, then it is a know problem which the driver has since at least four releases. Search this forum and you will find a lot of articles about this.

Ignoring the "TV" device is a solution, read the README for "IgnoreDisplayDevices" "TV".
rengels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-04, 10:20 AM   #3
TMiller

No. I can cycle through all my consoles, but the resolution/freq for all of them (except 7) is invalid. I can even see that they are different: 1 has a striped, blinking SuSE gecko, 2-6 has a blinking line of unreadable text etc.

I'll probably try adding ignoredisplaydevice to my XF86Config, but, from what I read in the README, this is not the same problem. But thanks for the reply.
Old 01-20-04, 11:10 AM   #4
delt

Send a message via ICQ to delt

same here.
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...threadid=23506

seems the only solution for now is to use the old 4xxx driver.......
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...threadid=23805

now if only these retarded dorks would just release their drivers open source, SOMEONE would already have fixed this.....
delt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-04, 04:12 PM   #5
TMiller

To whomever's in charge of it:

maybe this could be added to the faq or known bugs section.

I've spent too much time getting the nvidia drivers up and running to fall back to an earlier version...I'll keep my fingers crossed that x won't fail on me.
Old 01-22-04, 04:53 PM   #6
delt

Send a message via ICQ to delt

I just tried to revert to 4496 drivers and it doen't solve the problem, same ****.
delt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-04, 04:37 PM   #7
TMiller

I've come as close to fixing this as I think I will:

I changed the vga= value in my grub kernel boot file (/boot/grub/menu.lst). It was vga=0x314 and I changed it to 0x31a. This should correspond to 1280x1024 but ends up spitting out something like 640x480. I'd rather have 640x480 than garbled text so I'm happy.

Alternatively, there is a lot of discussion in thread 23506--"XFree 4.3 garbles text consoles" which doesn't apply to me but may well apply to YOU.
Old 03-01-04, 03:13 AM   #8
acsab

Default black console 1.0.5336

I was just forced to upgrade to new driver probably via an suse online update because my XF86Config at the time no longer configured dual dvi output. Now with the special crappy nvidia module I finally figured out how to get twinview working w/3d on dual dvi panels. Finally. Actually, my ti4600 is kinda nice and fast running this way, but I also have no console at all after the nvidia module has been loaded.
Perhaps nvidia should be concerned? Or maybe not. I hope that someone out there has figured this out as I do really need my fb consoles, preferably at 1600x1200...
and preferably both working (dual dvi fb )!

Just one of the reasons why linux should be so much better than windoze, but nvidia seems to just not get it.

@#$@
acsab is offline   Reply With Quote