Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-23-04, 08:31 AM   #133
jbirney

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeC
Try the setting I mentioned in my news post and report back - 1024x768 with 2X AA/4X AF with auto detect.

On my system auto detect put all the graphics settings at medium with the exception of texture quality, environment quality, and water quality, which were set to very high.

Lower to 2X AF if necessary.
Mike

just wondering if those scores on main page were with PS2.0 or PS1.1?
jbirney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-04, 09:48 AM   #134
digitalwanderer

Woah!

I put it all to "extra high" and it does look even sweeter and with 4xAA & v-sync on it's still playable! :shock:

Quote:
2004-01-23 09:11:21 - FarCry
Frames: 24608 - Time: 676719ms - Avg: 36.363 - Min: 3 - Max: 88
As you can see it did have a few jerks where loads occured, but it really was smooth for the most part.

There WAS more stuff, and I even got to kill the pretty birds! (They explode in little puffs of blood & feathers, sweeeeeet. )
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-04, 09:53 AM   #135
Hunter32
Computer Junkie

Thanks to MikeC post on front page I change my setting to very high
boy did that improve to IQ for me and its still very playable.
Hunter32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-04, 10:06 AM   #136
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

how do you get AA working??? the game looks all messed up when i turn AA on...
Old 01-23-04, 10:26 AM   #137
DMA
Zzzleepy

Anyone tried the "Water reflection fix"? I wonder what kind of performance hit we're talking about here.
Gonna try it out. Download it here: http://www.antoncohen.com/farcry/mods.html
Old 01-23-04, 10:40 AM   #138
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by jAkUp
how do you get AA working??? the game looks all messed up when i turn AA on...
Uhm, I had to go back to the 3.8 catalysts and enable it in the control panel and disable it ingame, then it worked peachy.

I think AF works without that corruption too, you just have to use it in game. I think "Filter quality" is AF, so set that to what level you can get away with.

I have my AA forced to 4x in control panel and my AF set to "application control", I also have v-sync forced thru control panel. (Pffft, who besides KS doesn't? )

Quote:
Originally posted by DMA
Anyone tried the "Water reflection fix"? I wonder what kind of performance hit we're talking about here.
Going to download now....

Hey, this is a legal demo! I can actually write something up for this one about performance & tweaking, can't I?
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
Old 01-23-04, 10:41 AM   #139
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Quote:
Originally posted by DMA
Just tried it... beautiful. Only kills about 5-10fps also
Old 01-23-04, 10:48 AM   #140
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by jAkUp
Only kills about 5-10fps also
ONLY?!?!

We're getting way too spoiled.
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]

Old 01-23-04, 11:02 AM   #141
DMA
Zzzleepy

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
Uhm, I had to go back to the 3.8 catalysts and enable it in the control panel and disable it ingame, then it worked peachy.

Hehe, 3.8 is the way to go?.

I dunno, i kinda like 4.1 so i'll hang on to 'em. A few jaggies here and there i can live with.

And btw, the reflection fix was kinda cool. But a 5-10 FPS hit in this game is actually pretty painful.
Old 01-23-04, 11:23 AM   #142
Malfunction

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeC
Try the setting I mentioned in my news post and report back - 1024x768 with 2X AA/4X AF with auto detect.

On my system auto detect put all the graphics settings at medium with the exception of texture quality, environment quality, and water quality, which were set to very high.

Lower to 2X AF if necessary.
Well Mike after trying your settings and making some alterations, I come up with this. I don't wanna use AA unless I have to and I don't really feel I do at the moment.

New Settings

1280x1024

Dead Guy

I am sure they can be improved on a bit more however I don't have the GPU horsepower at the moment. Till then, this really isn't that bad and the frames obiviously increase if I go to a lower 1024x768 res.

This a bit more tolerable ragejg? hehe

Peace,

*Edit - The lowest setting of Digital Vibrance before it isn't on low any longer and becomes medium seems to add that little bit of something special I think. Give that a try as well, probly one of the best benefits of having a NV card IMHO.

Last edited by Malfunction; 01-23-04 at 12:29 PM.
Malfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-04, 11:24 AM   #143
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by DMA
Hehe, 3.8 is the way to go?.

I dunno, i kinda like 4.1 so i'll hang on to 'em. A few jaggies here and there i can live with.
Not me, I'm utterly spoiled! It's just a night/day difference to me anymore and it's just distracting as hell to me without AA.

The 3.8's were a good set, and AA works...I can deal until the tea-time catalysts come.

Quote:
And btw, the reflection fix was kinda cool. But a 5-10 FPS hit in this game is actually pretty painful.
Total agreement on both points. It looked great, but it costs too. With everything set to extry high w/4xAA & v-sync I can get about 36fps avg and steady with no real low dips, with the reflection on at same settings it drops me to about 28fps with lots-o-low dips....BIG difference!
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
Old 01-23-04, 11:52 AM   #144
TheTaz

Posted most of this on EB... but I'll repeat for this community...

Asus A7N266-C nForce 1, 415-D
Athlon XP 2600+ (266Mhz TB Core, 2.133 GHz)
1 GB of Kingston HyperX PC3200 DDR400 @ CL 2.0
ATi 9800 Pro 128MB
Catalyst 3.10's

1024x768 - Medium Settings - No AA - Game runs smooth as hell, no problems. (Autodetect, and Water set itself to Very High)

1024x768 - High Settings - No AA - Game locks up within 2 seconds.

1024x768 - Very High Settings - No AA - Game locks up within a few minutes. Still plays smooth (Before it locks up).

Very High has extra grass, some clearer textures, some better effects, better LOD transistions, and more shadows.

The Water Mod Roxx0rz!
I get slight stutter, but it's still playable. (Until it locks up on "Very High" Settings).

I figure between when the game is actually released, and maybe newer ATi Drivers, the lock-ups will go away. (I hope).

All I can say is that the game is awesome so far.

Taz
TheTaz is offline   Reply With Quote