Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-24-04, 09:56 PM   #13
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

XFree86-Mesa-libGL is the only package I know to conflict, removing the other packages may or may not cause problems (there are packages with dependencies on Mesa-libGLU for instance).
Old 01-26-04, 03:55 PM   #14
Afishionado

Soul-crusher, I think the installer flag did it.

I reinstalled the driver with the flag, and as far as I could tell, it didn't seem to make a difference at first. I tried repeating LordMogul's config file edit, and I must have mis-typed something because X refused to restart. I re-copied from my backup config file, and got X started again. On a whim, I tried Armagetron again, and now I'm getting ~360 frames per second.

Yeeha!

Thanks, everybody! Thanks a lot.
Old 01-27-04, 01:09 PM   #15
Forge
X to the 64th power

Quote:
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce4 Ti 4200/AGP/SSE/3DNOW!/forceSW
That last bit, '/forceSW' is new to me, and sounds suspicious.

I'd be interested to know how that got there.
Vargr Prime: AMD Opteron 280 *2 | 4096MB Corsair Value reg/ECC | GeForce 7950GX2 | Dual WD Raptor 74GB | Dual Seagate 320GB 7200.10 | Samsung/TSST 18X DVDRW | Chaintech AV-710 | Thermaltake Armor 8000 | PCP&C Turbo-Cool 1KW | Supermicro H8DCE v3.1 | Logitech X-530 5.1 speakers
Forge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-04, 04:58 PM   #16
Afishionado

I made my last post too soon. :-P

If I tweak my XF86Config file and restart X, I have 3D support. When I reboot, it's gone. If I tweak my XF86Config file again, and restart X, I again have 3D support--until I reboot.

Let my explain what I mean by "tweak SF86Config": I save a backup, make the change LordMogul suggested, save that and restart X--I get a blank screen. I go back to the root console, restore from the backup, and restart X. I get 3D support until I reboot again.

Does anybody have any idea what is going on here?!?

It is annoying, but at the same time, I am really thrilled just to get this far. This is a *really* nice video card.

And there's some *really* nice people on the forums here, too. Thanks a lot!
Old 01-29-04, 05:57 PM   #17
Andy Mecham
l33t master

SuSE has this tendency to overwrite your XF86Config file if it thinks you've installed new hardware, which *might* explain why you need to re-edit your file each time. Are you finding that the driver line has moved back to "nv" or "vesa"?

--andy
Old 01-31-04, 03:40 PM   #18
Afishionado

I make the backup right after I turn the computer on, so each time its the same config file I booted with. If SuSE was messing with it I'd have the messed with version.

BTW, could it have something to do with the fact that my machine likes to reset its clock randomly whenever I leave it turned off for a few hours? Its annoying, and it drives make nuts whenever I try to compile things, because the file dates are all weird.
Old 01-31-04, 04:30 PM   #19
whig
550Ti

Quote:
Originally posted by Afishionado
I make the backup right after I turn the computer on, so each time its the same config file I booted with. If SuSE was messing with it I'd have the messed with version.

BTW, could it have something to do with the fact that my machine likes to reset its clock randomly whenever I leave it turned off for a few hours? Its annoying, and it drives make nuts whenever I try to compile things, because the file dates are all weird.
Check your timezone is correct. I've been bitten by that.
whig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-04, 10:39 AM   #20
Afishionado

Another thought: after running the installer script, the first time I run

sax2 -m 0=nvidia

I get a looong error message basically suggesting that I try using the command line option that I just did. The second time I run it, I get no errors, and I see an nVidia splash screen each time I start X, but still no 3D acceleration.

Hmm. Maybe when I get time to kill I'll see if I can get it to work under Knoppix. (I was hoping to make it work under SuSE, since that's the OS I usually boot under, but I'll take what I can get.)

Old 02-21-04, 08:48 PM   #21
Afishionado

I did a little fooling around...

No matter what value I set the NvAGP option to, I don't see a difference.

I tried running 3Ddiag, and it says that the NVidia drivers are *not* installed. Hmm. I ran the installer script with the version check and sanity check options, and both said things are fine.

So, *any* other ideas? Maybe I'm doing something wrong with Sax2?

BTW, I tried to install it under Knoppix, but I can't figure out how to shut down X so I can install it. (Knoppix didn't come with the nice manuals that SuSE does!) "init 3" doesn't seem to work like it does under SuSE.
Old 02-29-04, 06:31 PM   #22
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

Does the config file still get overwritten? There are two other posts currently with the same issue, this is something that should be taken up with Suse, bug report against sax2 or whatever mechanism is used to detect new hardware (redhat uses 'kudzu').

Don't know why I was suggesting you remove a redhat package earlier, obviously Suse will have a different Mesa install setup.
Old 02-29-04, 07:03 PM   #23
Afishionado

As far as I can tell, the xf86config file never was getting overwritten. My xfree86 config file still says Driver "nvidia", yet that's not what's being used for OpenGL.

Unless, it's getting SuSE's dummy nVidia driver confused with the real nVidia driver?

Hmm.