Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-23-04, 02:03 PM   #13
penner

i want to make a prediction as to how they will f**k up system shock 3:

it won't be called system shock 3, itll be called system shock: invisible shadow or something equally mediocre and the player character will be blind and deaf.

so itll have huge non-linear sprawling missions and be one of the largest games ever conceived with beautifully rendered high polygon models and photo realistic textures and the most complex lighting - the AI will be at a super-genius level, so much so that even the lowliest zombie will eventually be able to prove einstein's unifying theory if the game is allowed to run long enough. but as you play it all you will be able to see is a black screen, because you are blind. and warren sphincter will call it the most revolutionary exciting thing to ever hit the gaming world.

and oh yeah, itll be coded for the gameboy and then ported over to pc.
penner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-04, 03:38 PM   #14
de><ta
prodigy

The gameplay will be similiar to Hitman 2. The first person aspect in Hitman 2 totally sucked though...

Playing with the third person view however is not as exciting as first person view. Imagine playing AVP2 with a third person view. I guess it depends on the game.

///m-powered | Intel i7 920 | EVGA x58 | 6GB DD3 1600 | EVGA GTX 285 SSC | 150GB VelociRaptor

Drag racing is for fast cars. Autocrossing is for fast drivers.
de><ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-04, 05:39 PM   #15
stncttr908

Send a message via AIM to stncttr908

Quote:
Originally posted by The Baron
If they touch System Shock, THERE WILL BE A RECKONING.
I'm with you buddy.
PC - | Core i7-2600K @ stock | Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3 | 4GB Patriot Sector 5 DDR3 | Galaxy GTX 460 1GB @ stock | Corsair Force 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200RPM | 320GB Seagate 7200.10 | 2x Seagate 500GB USB 2.0 | Lite-On 20x SATA DVD+RW | Silverstone TJ-09 | Corsair 620W PSU | Logitech Z-5500s | Sennheiser HD-570 headphones | Samsung 2494LW |

Laptop - | Dell Inspiron 1420 | C2D T7300 (2.0GHz, 4MB cache) | 2GB DDR2-667 | 160GB 7200RPM HDD | DVD +/- RW | 14.1" WXGA+ (1440x900) | Broadcom 802.11g | NVIDIA 8400M GS 128MB |
stncttr908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-04, 07:52 PM   #16
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Interesting, could work out. Unlike other people, I'm not going to openly bash a game and talk about how it's going to suck when the only information we have on it is a few screenshots and the fact that it's going to have an optional third-person view. Amazing that everyone is already being so quick to blame how the game will end up because an Xbox version is in the works, I don't remember anyone downplaying Morrowind, KOTOR, Max Payne 2, or UT2003 for that reason. I found DX:IW to be a bit of a disapointment, but still quite enjoyable, so I'm looking forward to Thief: DS as well.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-04, 08:11 PM   #17
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

The reason everyone is quick point fingers, is because the obvious direction the game is heading. 3rd person mode??!!! Thats not Thief. They are putting it in to attract all the console lamers. Thief is not a console game. It is a first person, hide and sneak action game.

And those console style graphics just not convincing me either. IonStorm just cant be forgiven due to thier recent track record.

And also, Morrowind, KOTOR, Max Payne 2, & UT2003 were all primarly PCGames. Alot of development was put into the PC versions. IonStorm is making a PC Port with Thief 3
Old 01-23-04, 08:29 PM   #18
TheTaz

Quote:
Originally posted by The Baron
If they touch System Shock, THERE WILL BE A RECKONING.

I believe EA still has the System Shock license.

Also, I think if anyone were to do a System Shock 3, it would be Irrational Games (The other half of the Looking Glass Team), not Ion Storm.

Taz
TheTaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-04, 10:29 PM   #19
NAZCA M12
Master Thief

What jAkUp said plus this: When Eidos press release talks of the 3rd persion view improving the immersion of the game what do they mean? Who are they kidding? How about that Edge? Those idiots went as far as mentioning Garret ffs. Since you played IW, did you bother to play IW Xbox version? I had the opportunity to compare them and trust me, they do play the same more or less with few differences (which is exactly what ISA was promising to deliver). A state of the art system would play almost the say low-res junk as an Xbox. Why? My system would need to load little chunks of maps just as the Xbox only that i had an installation of >1G. Does that not give you the impression that we got a butchered game? These games share the same engine. What makes you think they won't do the same?
P4 3,2@3,85GHz - Asus P4C800-E - 2Gb DDR-500 OCZ - 2x WD Raptors (Raid 0) - Creative Audigy 2 - ATI AIW 9800Pro - Antec 550W - LG GSA 4163b - NEC ND-3540A - Viewsonic VG700 - Antec Plus 660 AMG - Creative Inspire T7700 - Win98SE/XP
NAZCA M12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-04, 10:32 PM   #20
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Quote:
Originally posted by jAkUp
The reason everyone is quick point fingers, is because the obvious direction the game is heading. 3rd person mode??!!! Thats not Thief. They are putting it in to attract all the console lamers. Thief is not a console game. It is a first person, hide and sneak action game.

And those console style graphics just not convincing me either. IonStorm just cant be forgiven due to thier recent track record.

And also, Morrowind, KOTOR, Max Payne 2, & UT2003 were all primarly PCGames. Alot of development was put into the PC versions. IonStorm is making a PC Port with Thief 3
Well it's certainly a change (keeping in mind that the third person mode is OPTIONAL), but that doesn't mean it's a totally different game. Thief 1 could've very well have been in third-person mode, and I doubt the gameplay would've been drasticly different. Obviously, it changes the feel of it a bit, but the entire sneaking/stealth gameplay would've been exactly the same. Like how adding the first-person mode to Hitman 2 didn't turn the game into a first-person shooter.

Additionally, I don't see how having an optional third-person camera makes it a console game. There have been lots of third person games on PC, some of which were stealth games. Perhaps the developer simply figured that it made sense for a stealth game to be in 3rd person (which I can understand, since it's logical to think that being able to tell exactly how your body is positioned would be important in a game where you have to conceal yourself). But what do you mean by "console style" graphics? The graphics remind me more of Doom 3 then anything else, which last I checked was still a PC game.

Oh, and how was KOTOR a primarilly PC game when the Xbox version came out 3 months before the PC version?

Old 01-23-04, 10:50 PM   #21
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Quote:
Originally posted by NAZCA M12
What jAkUp said plus this: When Eidos press release talks of the 3rd persion view improving the immersion of the game what do they mean? Who are they kidding? How about that Edge? Those idiots went as far as mentioning Garret ffs. Since you played IW, did you bother to play IW Xbox version? I had the opportunity to compare them and trust me, they do play the same more or less with few differences (which is exactly what ISA was promising to deliver). A state of the art system would play almost the say low-res junk as an Xbox. Why? My system would need to load little chunks of maps just as the Xbox only that i had an installation of >1G. Does that not give you the impression that we got a butchered game? These games share the same engine. What makes you think they won't do the same?
I don't think it will help with the immersion much, but for gameplay mechanic reasons I can see why it would be prefered (I'll probably play it in first-person mode, though). Not that I put much faith into PR jibberish though, I'll decide for myself what the changes do to the game, though I'd like to see some videos of it so I can see how the game works in 3rd person before I fully decide if the game will work good in the third-person or not.

And yes I played IW on both platforms (although only the demo on the Xbox) and the main thing I noticed was how much more difficult it was to select inventory and bio-mods on the Xbox (it's almost like they designed the game for a keyboard or something crazy like that). Of course, the actual game was almost exactly the same on both platforms, just as Morrowind, KOTOR, and Max Payne 1/2 were. The Xbox version of IW ran about as well as it did on my computer, which again was also the case with KOTOR, Morrowind, and Max Payne 2. In fact, I think pretty much all the recent PC/console ports have ended up being the same on both platforms, with of course a few exceptions. And yes, the areas in DX:IW were probably made smaller because of the Xbox, but doesn't the game already require 256 megs of ram on the PC? Wouldn't they have had to raise that if they made the levels bigger? But I think the best example of "consolitising" a feature in a game would be the ram usage in Morrowind: even on PC I never saw it use more then 100 megs of ram, so it's obvious that they designed the loading and streaming system around the Xbox's memory (I mean comeon, I haven't seen PC games use less then 100 megs of ram since 1999).
Old 01-24-04, 05:04 AM   #22
nVidi0t
Quad Damage

Send a message via ICQ to nVidi0t

What's with those low res textures?

Bring back Looking Glass
System: Intel Core 2 e6600 @ 3.6ghz (450*8) @ 1.475v | Koolance Exos 2 Water Cooler | 4096Mb Mushkin ASCENT 8500 @ 2.1v @ 1160Mhz| Asus P5k Deluxe P35 'bearlake' 804bios | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 850W| BFG 8800GT OC2 675Mhz | 150GB WD Raptor X | Seagate Barracuda 250GB SATA | Lian Li V2000 PC2 Case | Pioneer DL Burner | Creative Sound Blaster X-FI FATAL1TY FPS | Dell 2707WFP 27" LCD | Windows Vista Ultimate | Sennheiser HD-590 Prestige/Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones w/ Emmeline Hornet Amp | Razer Deathadder | Razer tarantula Keyboard |
nVidi0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-04, 08:31 AM   #23
SH0DAN
SGIRealityEngine

Send a message via ICQ to SH0DAN

Quote:
Originally posted by nVidi0t

Bring back Looking Glass

here here !!!
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it. -Fred Bastiat-

The last official act of a corrupt government is to loot the nation.

When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.
P. J. O'Rourke

------------------
Q6600 g0 @3.20Ghz 1.30 VOLTS||Tr ULTIMA 90I + ||2X1Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer PC6400 4-3-3-7@ 400 x 8
BFG 260gtx MAXCORE55 @ 690/1420/2377 ||Asus P5K-Deluxe WiFi AP||Corsair HX520||Nec 2470WNX-BK + LG 1751S|
Lian Li PC-65B + II||Western Digital 150GB RaptorX|| Samsung 750Gb HD x3|| WD 2500KS ||Samsung 183s||SB Audigy 2 ZS||Audio Technica ESW9's +red RSA Predator|G11+MX518
SH0DAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-04, 04:53 PM   #24
shim
GF-FX 5800

if any company takes up SS2 and f**ks it up, id fly from australia to where ever to make sure they make the best in the series with a little perswasion..
shim is offline   Reply With Quote