Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-23-10, 02:52 AM   #1
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default EA To Charge For Game "Demos"

Quote:
After an investor visit with Electronic Arts, analyst Michael Pachter said that the publisher is planning a strategy that will involve selling "premium downloadable content" before a packaged game's release.

According to a Monday investor note from Wedbush Morgan's Pachter, Nick Earl, general manager of EA-owned Dead Space studio Visceral Games, revealed the new strategy.

Pachter wrote, "The PDLC would be sold for $10 or $15 through Xbox Live and PlayStation Network, and would essentially be a very long game demo, along the lines of 2009s Battlefield 1943."

He added, "A full-blown packaged game would follow shortly after the release of the PDLC, bearing a full retail price. Mr. Earl believes that the release of the PDLC first limits the risk of completing and marketing the full packaged version, and serves as a low-cost marketing tool."

Pachter separately told Gamasutra in an email, "I think that the plan is to release PDLC at $15 that has 3-4 hours of gameplay, so [it has] a very high perceived value, then [EA will] take the feedback from the community (press and players) to tweak the follow-on full game that will be released at a normal packaged price point."

"If DICE were able to follow Battlefield 1943 with a full-blown European WWII campaign game a few months later, it would have been a wild success," Pachter said.

He continued, "EAs view is that the PDLC costs a lot less to develop (essentially, its the first few levels of the full-blown game), and they have the opportunity to fix whatever needs to be fixed in the packaged product that is released a few months later, whether that entails doing more of what people like or doing less of what they dont like. It sounds like a brilliant strategy to me." Gamasutra has contacted EA for further clarification about the new strategy.

EA is becoming increasingly active in digital distribution and other online-focused revenue streams. Aside from a $300 million acquisition of social gaming company Playfish last year, COO John Schappert recently said at both the DICE Summit and Game Developers Conference this year that the publisher would be using physical discs as the basis for digital strategies.

Pachter stated in his investor note that EA CEO John Riccitiello "said that the line between packaged product sales and digital revenues would soon begin to blur, as EA intends to exploit all of its packaged games with ancillary digital revenue streams."

CFO Eric Brown also reportedly said that Visceral Games' formally unannounced Jack the Ripper game will be a "new PSN, Xbox Live game." Last year, word emerged that EA trademarked "The Ripper," leading to speculation about Visceral's next project. The studio just released Dante's Inferno earlier this year, and is also working on Dead Space 2.

Pachter said that EA has "missed expectations badly for two years running." But he also said he was "impressed" by Riccitiello's candidness about the company's current state and future prospects.

"Weve been wrong about this stock for almost five years. Either were stupid, stubborn, or unlucky, but weve been wrong. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, each time hoping for a different result," Pachter wrote.

"This time, while we are again hoping for a different result, we see evidence that the company is not doing the same things over and over again: lower headcount, fewer facilities, fewer games, a greater use of outsourcing, innovative combinations of digital and packaged goods content, a better greenlight process and a growing digital business," the analyst said. "This time, we think that EA is on the right path."

[UPDATE: EA VP of corporate communications Jeff Brown told Gamasutra in an email that the publisher will continue to offer an array of pricing strategies to consumers. He wrote in full:

"- EA is working on a number of projects for delivering premium content to consumers before, during, and after the launch of a packaged-goods version of the game.

- EA SPORTS, EA Games and EA Play are each experimenting with download strategies that deliver fresh game content in formats players want to experience.

- To date, there is no set pricing strategy for the entire EA portfolio. And many of the proposals include free-to-play content on models similar to Madden Ultimate Team, Battlefield Heroes and Battlefield 1943.

- None of the proposals call for charging consumers for traditionally free game demos."]
I guess I would be OK with it if price you spend on the "demo" would go towards the full price game later.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/2...e_Launches.php
Old 03-23-10, 02:56 AM   #2
Zenoth

Default Re: EA To Charge For Game "Demos"

I think it's stupid, simply put, but at least they're not obliging anything prior to buying the full release, so I'll just avoid them like the plague and I'll be fine.
GPU: eVGA GeForce GTX285 @ Stock
PSU: Corsair TX750W
APU: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic
Zenoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-10, 04:00 AM   #3
K007

they can do it...and idiots will still pay 4 it..
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-10, 04:12 AM   #4
MaXThReAT
GTX to the MaX

NObody should be suprized by this. You all give in to there systems of control and property ownership management. How could anyone not see this coming to PC.
I think I called this about two and half years ago but everyone said it wouldn't happen and my thread was deleted.
SB X-Fi FPS / Z-5500 + Buttkicker!
"Don't mind the posts, I've been around longer than most know."
MaXThReAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-10, 04:26 AM   #5
t3hl33td4rg0n
Dethklok Returns!

Send a message via AIM to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via MSN to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via Yahoo to t3hl33td4rg0n

It doesn't say anywhere this is going to happen on PC, just XBL and PSN where people are used to getting raped on a regular basis lol

Intel QX9650 @ 3.83GHzXFX 780ieVGA GTX 560Ti8GB GSkill DDR800Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCI-ESeagate 1.5TB . 4x Samsung 2TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin View Post
....it's so clear how government makes things worse not better...
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-10, 05:05 AM   #6
gulizard
"Powerstroke Diesel"

Send a message via MSN to gulizard Send a message via Skype™ to gulizard

Further increase piracy.. yeah great job EA, as if it isn't bad enough for games these days.

You know what they'll start doing now? just cutting the beginning of every game off and selling it. This is why DLC is bad. EA are Nazi's and I think I'd avoid them if it were for the Battlefield Series, but I tell you what. The day I pay for one of their demos will be the day hell freezes over. They can't even make a full complete real game, that isn't ridden with bugs, let alone with a demo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hl33td4rg0n View Post
It doesn't say anywhere this is going to happen on PC, just XBL and PSN where people are used to getting raped on a regular basis lol
Everything carries over now anyway. So it will eventually effect us.
Old 03-23-10, 06:17 AM   #7
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

This is one of those media hysteria things.

They meant games like Battlefield 1943... smaller proof of concept games, but complete experiences, that pave the way for larger versions of the same type of thing later.

But feel free to freak out, it is EA after all.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-10, 07:18 AM   #8
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
This is one of those media hysteria things.

They meant games like Battlefield 1943... smaller proof of concept games, but complete experiences, that pave the way for larger versions of the same type of thing later.

But feel free to freak out, it is EA after all.
Yeah thats how I read it. Basically Free games will get paid DLC and they will offer episodes/DLC for games prior to release.

Old 03-23-10, 08:06 AM   #9
Noriega
你妈妈喜欢的阴茎

Thank God for Xbox Live!
Old 03-23-10, 08:12 AM   #10
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Except most demos need a Gold Subscription to download them 0 day.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-10, 08:22 AM   #11
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Yeah thats how I read it. Basically Free games will get paid DLC and they will offer episodes/DLC for games prior to release.
Did you read the same quote as I? It clearly states that they would have you pay them to be a beta-tester for the full game.

"involve selling "premium downloadable content" before a packaged game's release."

"A full-blown packaged game would follow shortly after the release of the PDLC, bearing a full retail price"

"then [EA will] take the feedback from the community (press and players) to tweak the follow-on full game that will be released at a normal packaged price point."

No way would I ever pay for a demo.
Old 03-23-10, 08:27 AM   #12
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

PC games have demos now? When did this happen?

Oh wait, it's just demos of crappy games.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote