Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-25-04, 07:41 AM   #1
goofjb
The Pally Killer

Default Partitioning in Windows XP Pro and Home

Does everyone realize how easy it is to partition hard drive space in Windows XP? You know how you go through the control panel-->admin tools etcÖ Well anyway, the reason why I ask this is because I read on a forum somewhere explaining the procedure they used to get part of a hard drive partitioned and it amazed me how much harder they had made it for themselves.

One person suggested getting partition magic. Not a bad idea but you donít need it in Windows XP. But instead of taking the advice he started an install of XP (you know how it formats your space before installing). He let it finish formatting then quit the install before the Windows files were copied on to the hard drive.

Iím not trying to make anyone out to be an idiot. I just want to know if anyone does not know how to partition using Windows? I would be gald to help you if you donít.
850 Watt Cooler Master Power Supply
WD Raptor 300GB SATA Hard Drive
Seagate 2TB SATA Hard Drive (Spare)
OCZ Platinum 6GB DDR3 1600Mhz 7-7-7-24-2
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
goofjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-04, 08:56 AM   #2
The Baron

uh, diskpart from the command line?
Old 01-28-04, 01:12 PM   #3
serialdave
seldom posts

sig says it all
Old 01-28-04, 07:25 PM   #4
shim
GF-FX 5800

ive always used fdisk for my partitions for windows.. easier and better than PM
shim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-04, 03:02 AM   #5
goofjb
The Pally Killer

Everyone follow you way through the menu and see how easy it is. Control Panel --> Admin Tools. --> Computer Managemnt --> Now on left side make sure that Computer Managemnt(local) is highlighted and you shoud see System Tools,Storage and Services and Applications on right side. Select Storage on right then on right again select Disk Management(Local). Now you should see all the different partitions you have on your hard disks. You just simply right-click the drives to remove, add partitions. Let me know if I lost any body on the way and I will clean up my wording above.
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Old 02-03-04, 08:19 AM   #6
goofjb
The Pally Killer

Did everyone understand how i said to check it or just don't really care?
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Old 02-03-04, 04:21 PM   #7
serialdave
seldom posts

Xp does have anice tool for doing that and you can change the drive letter assignments while you are in there. PM can change the size of your boot patician and MS tools cannot. other than that I always use MS tools for the job. Normally I make a partician while installing leaving enough space for ghost to back up the system when it is all set up. Once installed I use windows to create and format a fat 32 partician. Then once everything is set up I ghost the boot partiician to files on the fat drive for backup incase they blow the install.
Old 02-05-04, 10:26 PM   #8
Malfunction

Quote:
Originally posted by goofjb
Everyone follow you way through the menu and see how easy it is. Control Panel --> Admin Tools. --> Computer Managemnt --> Now on left side make sure that Computer Managemnt(local) is highlighted and you shoud see System Tools,Storage and Services and Applications on right side. Select Storage on right then on right again select Disk Management(Local). Now you should see all the different partitions you have on your hard disks. You just simply right-click the drives to remove, add partitions. Let me know if I lost any body on the way and I will clean up my wording above.
Or you can go to Start Menu>My Computer and right click on My Computer, select manage and tadah, your there. Easier way to get to Disk Management or the Computer Management Panel.

Peace,

Malfunction is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-04, 11:25 AM   #9
Ady

You still can't change the size of partitions or add new ones without losing data can you?
Old 02-07-04, 04:11 PM   #10
serialdave
seldom posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Ady
You still can't change the size of partitions or add new ones without losing data can you?
With partician magic you can.
Old 02-07-04, 04:24 PM   #11
Malfunction

Quote:
Originally posted by Ady
You can't change the primary partition, but you can create and delete others. What I like to do is make a fairly small partition for XP, that way my boot times always stay low. Everything else I make partitions for: Games, Software, Music, Downloads, ect... Not only does it keep the program load times fast, but it helps me keep track of things better too.

Formatting gives me an excuse to archive. Well, not an excuse really... more like it forces me to archive my crap..lol. All I should really need to do is a system restore or install XP over itself. But I like playing around with crap like primary partition sizes and such. Never know what I want to do next, so I like to just clean house for the hell of it.

Anyhow, that's what I do.

Peace,

Malfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-04, 09:05 PM   #12
serialdave
seldom posts

Actually you can even change the primary partician.... Just he other day I broke off 10 gig from a friends primary and booted into xp created a partician formatted it fat 32 then booted off a floppy and ran ghost to make him a backup of his freshly installed XP Pro.