Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-26-04, 09:33 PM   #25
Smokey
Team Rainbow

Even though when looking at the 2 shots, ATIs looks better in terms of how its meant to look in the game. But IMO, shiny rusty pipes just doesnt look right to me, shiny pipes and rusty pipes, are 2 different things.
| Intel Q9550 @ 4GHz | Gigabyte EP45 UD3R |4x 1024MB OCZ Reaper PC9200 DDR2 | Seagate 320GB/ Maxtor 320GB/ Maxtor 500GB HDD|Sapphire HD5850 | Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Pro | Harmon Kardon AVR135 reciever | Jamo S718 speakers | 42" Plasma 720p (lounge room)-Samsung P2450H (bedroom)
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-04, 09:37 PM   #26
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Quote:
Originally posted by OWA
Yeah and again, that's a little disappointing. I thought their built-in compiler was supposed to help things like this.
It is, without it the framerates would probably be in the teens

Anyway, going from screenshots, I don't think the performence hit justifies the extra effect. Though considering the only areas that use the effect are in an indoor area that already gets high framerate, it probably wouldn't effect gameplay by enabling it. Also it's interesting that it apperently only uses PS2.0 on some pipes in an indoor area...you'd think they would use effects like that more heavilly, but it looks like they were able to use PS 1.1 with all the other PS effects. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out in the full game. Wonder if STALKER will be the same way...
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-04, 09:49 PM   #27
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Quote:
Originally posted by Smokey
But IMO, shiny rusty pipes just doesnt look right to me, shiny pipes and rusty pipes, are 2 different things.
Wow, you're right...at first I didn't notice it but now everytime I look at it the whole thing seems wrong. Huh, I guess this is one of those cases where adding effects actually makes it look LESS realistic. Go figure.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-04, 12:19 AM   #28
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

Figured some more places seems to use PS_2.0 through out the demo . not quite easy to notice .. but here it goes .

NV38

R360

NV38 ...this time they are not rusty pipes

R360

NV38

R360 ... enjoying the view while being shot at !
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-04, 11:05 AM   #29
mao5

Very Good comparison
mao5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-04, 11:18 AM   #30
DMA
Zzzleepy

Quote:
Originally posted by mao5
Very Good comparison
Yes it was. But please, don't quote all the pictures man! I'm scrolling my self to death here.
Old 01-27-04, 12:31 PM   #31
Malfunction

Quote:
Originally posted by Smokey
Even though when looking at the 2 shots, ATIs looks better in terms of how its meant to look in the game. But IMO, shiny rusty pipes just doesnt look right to me, shiny pipes and rusty pipes, are 2 different things.
That was also my first observation as well Smokey, good call. I was just waiting for someone else to say it as I am considered a fanboy. I have never seen a rusty pipe look that shiny in my life...lol. Well, it could be an oily rusty pipe, but then it would be protected and wouldn't have rusted...lol.

Peace,

Malfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-04, 01:55 PM   #32
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally posted by DMA
Yes it was. But please, don't quote all the pictures man! I'm scrolling my self to death here.
Yeah, that's one of my top Internet pet peeves. It's a waste of bandwidth, hurtful to our dialup users and it's annoying as hell to have to scroll through all of that.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-04, 02:01 PM   #33
volt

dude, stop quoting the images
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-04, 02:11 PM   #34
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.

Thumbs up

You guys missed some of the stuff metal is suppose to be shiney , thats the effect of PS 2.0 operation , however developers did not pay any attention what textures some of the metal got , they added shiny effect on normal pipes and rustry ones , also look at SH64 picture with Door , ATI card correctly shows shines at edges near metal door and red pipes at second image, but offcourse rusty pipes are developer lazines

Thats good comparision SH64.
Old 01-27-04, 02:36 PM   #35
Smokey
Team Rainbow

Quote:
Originally posted by -=DVS=-
You guys missed some of the stuff metal is suppose to be shiney , thats the effect of PS 2.0 operation , however developers did not pay any attention what textures some of the metal got , they added shiny effect on normal pipes and rustry ones , also look at SH64 picture with Door , ATI card correctly shows shines at edges near metal door and red pipes at second image, but offcourse rusty pipes are developer lazines

Thats good comparision SH64.
I didnt miss anything, at the time of what I said, we only had pics of rusty pipes

Yes, ATI does PS2 better, as is thier 4xAA, but when running around ingame, and not looking at screenshots, do you really notice the difference?
| Intel Q9550 @ 4GHz | Gigabyte EP45 UD3R |4x 1024MB OCZ Reaper PC9200 DDR2 | Seagate 320GB/ Maxtor 320GB/ Maxtor 500GB HDD|Sapphire HD5850 | Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Pro | Harmon Kardon AVR135 reciever | Jamo S718 speakers | 42" Plasma 720p (lounge room)-Samsung P2450H (bedroom)
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-04, 03:45 PM   #36
jbirney

Quote:
Originally posted by saturnotaku
Yeah, that's one of my top Internet pet peeves. It's a waste of bandwidth, hurtful to our dialup users and it's annoying as hell to have to scroll through all of that.
Can't one of you mod's edit his post to remove the replied images? And I though you guys had power...pfffftt :P :P
jbirney is offline   Reply With Quote