Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-01-04, 07:23 PM   #61
OWA

Does this trick work with the new demo? I get a solid color screen. The compass still shows up and if I move I can see it's working but I either get a brown or blue type solid color for the graphics. I also tried the console command for forcing PS 2.0 but I'm not sure how to tell if it worked or not.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-04, 07:54 PM   #62
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

Quote:
Originally posted by OWA
Does this trick work with the new demo? I get a solid color screen. The compass still shows up and if I move I can see it's working but I either get a brown or blue type solid color for the graphics. I also tried the console command for forcing PS 2.0 but I'm not sure how to tell if it worked or not.

It works but only in some places like the in the caves where the bump mapped rocks & steel pipes , if you go out the picture turn into a ****tail of colors .. looks to be missing textures or driver problem .
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-04, 07:57 PM   #63
OWA

Thanks! I'll try that on the save games I created in the caves.

Edit: That didn't work either. I see a lot of red scrolling by so something else might be wrong. I guess I'll just wait to see someone else's screenshots of PS 2.0.

Last edited by OWA; 03-01-04 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-01-04, 08:28 PM   #64
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

Quote:
Originally posted by OWA
Thanks! I'll try that on the save games I created in the caves.

Edit: That didn't work either. I see a lot of red scrolling by so something else might be wrong. I guess I'll just wait to see someone else's screenshots of PS 2.0.
you asked for it!
here you go .. some PS2.0 goddess !

with PS1.1

with PS2.0

Old 03-01-04, 09:11 PM   #65
SuLinUX

If you ask me the PS 1.1 shot of the rock looks better, there is something wrong with that pic because the PS 2.0 shot of the rock is deformed and dull on the right hand side.

You could easiely apply a specular map to that texture and achieve the saame effect without that huge fps drop.
AthlonXP 2600+ / nForce2 Asus A7N8X-X / PNY GeForce FX5900 Ultra / 1024Mb Samsung Ram /nForce Sound / Hansol 920D Plus 19" monitor / Lite-On 32x12x40 / 2x Maxtor HD 40Gb/80Gb / nVidia 7174 driver / Gnome 2.10.1 / Kernel 2.6.11.9 / Slackware 10.0
SuLinUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-04, 09:35 PM   #66
OWA

Quote:
Originally posted by SH64
you asked for it!
here you go .. some PS2.0 goddess !

with PS1.1

with PS2.0

Thanks. I wish I could get that working. Is there anything else you did? All I've done is add the AA and AF settings to the config file and the AI unaware commands. Control panel was left to application default.

I then ran the 3danalyzer app and entered the IDs for the 9800 Pro, selected Far Cry and then choose run. Am I missing a step or option in the analyzer or anything?
Old 03-01-04, 09:55 PM   #67
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

Quote:
Originally posted by OWA
Thanks. I wish I could get that working. Is there anything else you did? All I've done is add the AA and AF settings to the config file and the AI unaware commands. Control panel was left to application default.

I then ran the 3danalyzer app and entered the IDs for the 9800 Pro, selected Far Cry and then choose run. Am I missing a step or option in the analyzer or anything?
when you run the 3danalyzer the first time , dont play or anything , just be sure to turn all details to "very high" espically the lighting quality , then quite the game.

now run again from the 3danalyzer & you should get the PS2.0 working.
Old 03-01-04, 10:03 PM   #68
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

Quote:
Originally posted by SuLinUX
If you ask me the PS 1.1 shot of the rock looks better, there is something wrong with that pic because the PS 2.0 shot of the rock is deformed and dull on the right hand side.

You could easiely apply a specular map to that texture and achieve the saame effect without that huge fps drop.
agreed ! the specular mapping can do this job without loosing so much performance .
however the problem here is that ATI cards are running with those .. lets say extra effects at the same if not faster fps than nVIDIA cards .

i know that all what they do here is to "shine" things .. but its for me a cool effect !
espically in those rocks .. it simply makes them amazing when the light reflect on them . & also give the lighting effect more realstic look ! ( see the cansiters on the right of the screen ) .

Old 03-02-04, 11:23 AM   #69
Athena
spirit filled

Wow I just had fun playing the demo and looking at all the cool graphics on the water I did not even take time to look at pipes and such. I guess it will not make me not buy the game cause I run a 5900 and I am missing some graphics. This game still looks awsome!!!! But for those of you w/ 9800s it will look that bit better. Yea!!!!
Old 03-02-04, 11:34 AM   #70
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

Quote:
Originally posted by Athena
Wow I just had fun playing the demo and looking at all the cool graphics on the water I did not even take time to look at pipes and such. I guess it will not make me not buy the game cause I run a 5900 and I am missing some graphics. This game still looks awsome!!!! But for those of you w/ 9800s it will look that bit better. Yea!!!!
Well said .
thats the conclusion of all these comparsions !
Old 03-02-04, 12:14 PM   #71
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

I just like to add here that after playing the FarCry demo on both 5950u & 9800xt with minimum possible AA & AF .. they both dips into 20s whenever Pixel shaders are involved .
and espically when you turn ON the flashlight !
to put it simply .. the game is NOT playable with even decent framerate if AA , AF applied (*max detail , 1024 & above) on most of the current high-end systems . at least for me !

maybe the upcoming NV40/R420 will be able to do it , but they are not even announced yet ...
Old 03-02-04, 01:29 PM   #72
RobHague
I like cheese.

Interesting indeed, wonder how the NV PR department will handle this ow its been brought to our attenshion?

I shouldnt worry, im assuming that the PS 1.1 is either a driver glitch, done on purpose because they are still working on PS2.0 for the FX and dont want to give 'unfair' performance results... or maybe they have forced 1.1 until NVIDIA have a chance to optimize for it in the next driver revision? They did a really good job with Halo

I dont think any conclusions from FORCING PS2.0 can be drawn, i mean lets give them the benfit of the doubt that its just a glitch/bug/driver issue.

Anyway, just a matter of time and im sure it will look just as good on both GPU's.

When is the game due to ship anyways? Amazon say March but give no full date.

*edit*
Actually regarding PS2.0 on the FX, if it is doing FP32 then it really isnt fair comparing it to ATI's card doing it at FP24.... i know everyone says taht but it is true really. What i would like to see if NV setting the drivers to maybe set the precision to FP16 throughout when PS2.0 is used in FarCry.... if they cannot influence the use of FP16/32 where needed.... although isnt it supposed to be a 'TWIMTBP' game??? I would have thought this would be a foregone conclusion that they asked the developers to code specially for the FX.

A driver feature i would love to see would be to FORCE FP16 or 32 by selecting it through the driver manually - which would be nice.

There used to be a signature here, but now there isnt.

Last edited by RobHague; 03-02-04 at 03:10 PM.
RobHague is offline   Reply With Quote