Monkey Ball r0x0rZ yo m0mz s0x0rZ!!!

damn straight.
poursoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-04, 02:06 AM   #26
sytaylor
Cerebral Barbarian

Quote:
Originally posted by jimbob0i0
BTW - how on earth does it void the warranty? There's no tell-tale signs left from the exploits unlike with the Xbox linux/HDD/Bond/etc hacks...
Ninty's way of saying "don't fiddle".
Yuraku 24" Widescreen monitor

It saddens me that I need the following to post here:

Disclaimer: Any views expressed in the above post under the psuedonym "sytaylor" are entirely subjective and do not reflect the views of any business, company or entity associated with Simon Taylor. The use, copying of or editing of any materials within this post for professional purposes without written permission is stricly prohibitted under the UK Right of Privacy as provided in the Human Rights Act 1998 and the European Convention on Human Rights: Article 10 ECHR. Any attempt to use the information herin shall be subject to the Data Protection Act and Freedom of Information act, with damages being saught for defamation. This disclaimer applies to all text, images or media on this domain.

You have been warned.
My Blog
sytaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-04, 03:46 AM   #27
EciDemon

Send a message via ICQ to EciDemon

Quote:
Originally posted by saturnotaku
That's because the GameCube imploded on the launch pad when it was released. It was a horrid launch. Supply far exceeded demand and people were buying less than two games per system (PS2 averaged about four at launch). There also are next to zero third party developers creating games for it. And exclusives? Fuhgetaboutit.

Even Nintendo has said their focus for the future is going to be concentrated on the Game Boy Advance, so even the mothership has given up on the GC. That's a shame too because there are some really damn fun games: Mario Golf, Double Dash and Monkey Ball immediately come to mind.
Oh, Im all new to the GC scene so I don't know anything about it. I know that Im going to be happy with metroid prime and there are atleast two games yet to come that Im gonna buy (a Final fantasy game and Metal Gear twin snakes)

The console is very cheap too so Im happy. Heck, the GBA SP costs more.

I'll not question the fun factor of those games you listed there but to tell the truth Im a bit fed up with Mario so to say

Nutty>> It is fully legal to create emulators, it's the end users responsibillity on how to use these things. Same thing for cracks and such (not fixed exe's though) as they are only programs. But its forbidden to release for example a crack and the target application together.

Last edited by EciDemon; 01-29-04 at 03:52 AM.
EciDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-04, 07:18 AM   #28
Nutty
Sittin in the Sun

Send a message via MSN to Nutty

Quote:
Nutty>> It is fully legal to create emulators, it's the end users responsibillity on how to use these things. Same thing for cracks and such (not fixed exe's though) as they are only programs. But its forbidden to release for example a crack and the target application together.
Depends how they come by the information. All API docs and hardware docs for the cube are under strict NDA AFAIK.

Creating the emulator might be legal, but ripping the games off dics is not.
Nutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-04, 07:45 AM   #29
EciDemon

I think if your the legal owner of a game you may do what you want with it. Sharing it would be no no. Most emulator programmers know this and offer no info on the wereabouts of roms/rips/isos and stuff like that on there sites. Like it should be.

I like emulators a lot. epsxe for my old psx games is just what I need as my oldest psx can't read discs anymore and the newer one is on the same path. Great for all my imports that I can not play on my unmodded ps2 (pal)
What's even better is that you can make the old games look quite good in highres with texture filtering

Same thing with my old snes, I do have one of those copiers so I can dump my own roms and play them in my favorite emulator making them look a bit better, or send games from my computer to play them on the real snes.

Another aspect of emulators is that they keep old games alive. My old nes died ages ago, but I can still play my games if I want to.

I think a lot of emulator programmers do it for the challenge and not to just play there favorite game on pc or make a way to pirate there favorite software (they probably already own those on the particular console)

I have no need for a PS2 emulator nor one for GC that I just orderd as it looks good enugh as it is with rgb cables and a decent tv (btw, I play my emulators on my tv just for the real console feeling)

Emulators are great I think but yes, they lead to piracy but that is in the hands of the end user thus his/hers responsibility.
But thats just how it is, all coins have two sides despite how thin they are.
Old 01-29-04, 07:45 AM   #30
PsychoSy

Send a message via ICQ to PsychoSy Send a message via AIM to PsychoSy
Exclamation

Quote:
Nutty>> It is fully legal to create emulators ...
Not anymore. Emulators that aren't developed or licensed by the manufactuer for commerical use can have their legality challenged under the DMCA. Why? Because such things as reversing engineering the hardware, studying the BIOS, etc. are detrimental into coding an effective software emulator, which dovetails into "patent infringment" (the BIOS/CMOS code of a console is considered Intellectual Property) and, since the knowledge from that can be used to defeat copy protection measures, that opens the door for "copyright infringment" city.

DMCA = "The Copyright Lawyers' Forever Employment Act"
Old 01-29-04, 08:58 AM   #31
EciDemon

I take it thats why most emulators dosent come with a bios ... for that your on your own.

But yeah I see your point.
Old 01-30-04, 09:05 PM   #32
a4164
NV2

Quote:
Originally posted by saturnotaku
There also are next to zero third party developers creating games for it. And exclusives? Fuhgetaboutit.

I agree with your statements but there are still some titles to look forward to.

Resident Evil 4, Killer 7, Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, Pikmin 2, Metroid Prime 2, Zelda: Wind Waker sequel, Geist, StarFox 2, PSO III, Super Monkey Ball 3.

But mostly I want to play Square Enix's multiplayer rpg Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles. As well as Namco's Tales of Symphonia and Baten Kaitos.

I wish I could get my hands on another gem like Eternal Darkness or Viewtiful Joe. I also wish the Naruto titles would make it out of Japan
a4164 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-04, 10:19 AM   #33
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Killer 7 has been confirmed to be in development for PS2.

Anyway, an emulator itself is completely legal, it's the intellectual properties of the system which are illegal to use to make an emulator. If you take the Bleem method where you just make an emulator that substitutes what games need to run, rather than emulating the actual hardware, there's legally nothing wrong with that. But of course, few emulators are built like that.

Still, it won't stop me from attempting to rip my Gamecube games in order to try them out on my PC with an emulator (I doubt I could do it, but if they ever release software that does it I might try it out sometime). Well, I guess I COULD just borrow my friend's GC...but where's the fun in that
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-04, 09:44 PM   #34
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by Edge
Anyway, an emulator itself is completely legal, it's the intellectual properties of the system which are illegal to use to make an emulator. If you take the Bleem method where you just make an emulator that substitutes what games need to run, rather than emulating the actual hardware, there's legally nothing wrong with that. But of course, few emulators are built like that.
Of course that didn't stop them from being sued
Old 02-01-04, 08:21 AM   #35
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Haha, yup. Despite the fact that Sony took them to court and lost every single time, Bleem eventually had to close down due simply to legal costs. That's America for you: if you can't win a court case, just keep hammering them with lawsuits until they can't afford to fight back anymore.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-04, 07:33 PM   #36
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by Edge
Haha, yup. Despite the fact that Sony took them to court and lost every single time, Bleem eventually had to close down due simply to legal costs. That's America for you: if you can't win a court case, just keep hammering them with lawsuits until they can't afford to fight back anymore.
Sony bought them out and then killed them, didn't they?