Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA FreeBSD

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-13-04, 04:08 PM   #1
erek

Send a message via ICQ to erek Send a message via AIM to erek
Default Will FreeBSD ever see NV35+

I've been waiting for months and months and months, and got to see all the Linux kiddies laugh at me for not having GeForce FX 5900+ support in FreeBSD after they recieved several driver releases... I bought my card thinking NVIDIA would continue to support FreeBSD... have times changed? 5.2-RELEASE was announced yesterday... I'm hoping NVIDIA will take some initiative since they just released yet ANOTHER Linux driver...
Very disappointing to say the least... of the uncertain future for FreeBSD's support..
erek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-04, 08:36 PM   #2
erek

will someone out there please shed some light on this situation??
Old 01-14-04, 02:36 PM   #3
erek

i'm pleading with you... someone please... has NVIDIA discontinued support for FreeBSD??
Old 01-14-04, 08:32 PM   #4
Soul-Crusher
Leadtek 6800GT

Send a message via ICQ to Soul-Crusher Send a message via AIM to Soul-Crusher Send a message via Yahoo to Soul-Crusher

If it makes you feel better, Linux driver releases are much more scarce than Win32 driver releases.
Old 01-27-04, 10:12 PM   #5
FreeBSDly

Seriously, this is getting ugly. I don't understand the silent treatment either. I appreciate NVidia's willingness to support FreeBSD, but it is like rule number one:

Thou shalt release regular updates lest thoust users get pissed.

I feel like a moron just sitting here waiting, so why am I?

regards.
FreeBSDly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-04, 11:25 PM   #6
FreeBSDly

I guess that's it.

I "solved" my problem by exchanging my 5700 FX Ultra for a 4200ti, saving me $75 in the process. I'd like not to leave the wrong impression. I really do appreciate the 4365 drivers for FreeBSD. It really was the beginning of something special. I felt proud to demand nvidia cards for all of our new workstations. You think I'm kidding, but people have actually asked, "what is it with you and nvidia?"

Now, I feel so sad. Why should anyone be so dramatic about their computer's video card? But I know why. I have endured years of merciless ribbing from the 'doz dubes. I could argue about gimp versus photoshop and apache versus IIS, but whenever those clowns got tired of arguing, all they had to say was, quake. But then everything changed. Nvidia's FreeBSD drivers proved the point that daemons can play!!

So I am very grateful for nvidia's 4365 drivers for FreeBSD. Indeed, I will continue to enjoy them for the foreseeable future. Thank-you.
FreeBSDly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-04, 01:03 PM   #7
dpw2atox

have you tried to directly email nvidia about this? I did a while back in regards to the 5700 cards and linux support and recieved a response that they were working on drivers which would be released in the near future and within 2 months they were. maybe they will be able to tell you the progress if any on new freebsd drivers.
dpw2atox is offline   Reply With Quote