Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-26-04, 06:44 PM   #1
bothie

Default 4496 keeps dysfunctioning and 5328 crashes in kernel space

Ok. In March I tested the nVidia driver for my GeForce 3 Ti 200, and it failed.
The problems were:

1. Startup of the driver lasted THREE MINUTED AND FOURTY SECONDS (no joke) until the nVidia logo appeard.
2. Several X crashes.

Workaround to solve this problems: Fallback to Open Source nv driver, which lacks glx support :'-(

Ok, yesterday I felt happy enough to do another try, and result was:

1. 5328 crashes in kernel-space (output is available but not very usful, as adresses didn't get translated to symbol names. This is due to my ****ed up configuration, have to fix that some times ... [1]).

2. 4496 has the same problem as the version I tested in March (don't remember, which version that was).

In March I had only that one computer, so all I could do was pressing <Alt Gr>+<k> to get rid of the crashed X server, but now I have a laptop attached via Ethernet, and hopefully can help debugging the problem. Currently (time of writing this post) my X server hangs again (X consumes all CPU power it can get), and nothing is possible, no console switching or similar. What's possible is to ssh to my system, so it is blocked in user space only.

@ nVidia developers:

I herein offer my help in debugging this issue (as I want a stable driver). I'd liked to get the Sources, but thousands of other ppl already asked and failed so I'll shut up in this issue. But could you please release a debugging release (maybe only to some ppl wanting to really debug it), which produced hundreds of traces in kernel and or user space to a file or via networt (whatever applies)? And if you do so, than it could be very interesting to get the following extra features in the debugging version:

1. a proc-fs interface e.g. to tell the in kernel driver, that it's no longer used and shall decrase module usage count (the user of this interface must know what he's doing of course, but I want this option only for the debugging version ;-)
2. The X server shouldn's lock virtual console switching as I am using fbdev, so console and X server use same resolution and same bpp. It's again: ppl who use this feature should know what they are doing.

Open Source?
Only a little question about OS: Is it possible to release only parts of the driver as Open Source? I cannot belive, that everything from line 1 to line n is patented and therefore cannot be put Open Source. Maybe, many errors may be found in that parts by the community. Only a suggestion. If it is not possible, than I belive, I cannot change anything here :-(

In any case, regards, Bodo

[1] If you can get me a hint where to find infos about how to set up this address 2 name translation, than tell me, I think, nVidia developers would be very interested in the message with symbol names ;-)

PS: And set login-timeout to something around 1 day or so. It's very annoying to write a post, only to get timeout-logouted on pressing the "Submit"-Button. And a well written report may take some time.
bothie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-04, 09:17 PM   #2
Moled
cheese

1. the slows startup and how to avoid it is discussed in the readme, take a look

2. do you have a mobo with a via chipset? I would use the drivers that were released today and try again
Moled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-04, 04:58 PM   #3
bothie

Quote:
Originally posted by Moled
1. the slows startup and how to avoid it is discussed in the readme, take a look
*done* - worked. THX

Quote:
2. do you have a mobo with a via chipset? I would use the drivers that were released today and try again
Yes, and *done*. Now, the only thing I have to do is to hope that this driver will run stable.

Regards, Bodo
Old 01-30-04, 04:46 PM   #4
bothie

Quote:
Originally posted by bothie
Quote:
Yes, and *done*. Now, the only thing I have to do is to hope that this driver will run stable.[/b]
Ok, now, after an uptime of about 1 day and 20 hours, nVidia drivers crashed again, while updating the screen in the game Unreal Tournament. X is consuming nearly to all available CPU, but nothing happens anymore.

BTW: My help offer is still valid.
Old 02-03-04, 03:16 AM   #5
bothie

Default Hello? Any1 here?

X crashed again. This time, no OpenGL applicatons were affected.

Note: I've successfully created an nVidia X server chroot jail for my untrust user. Now I have running OpenSource X server for my workings, and to play games like Unreal Tournament, my untrust user simply starts it's own X server using nVidia driver. So, if X crashes, I won't loose my whole X session. Only that, what really needs GLX (thus games) would be lost, in general only one game at all.

I'll write an "nVidia in chroot jail HOWTO" and publish it in some days. I'll anounce that in this thread then.

HTH.

Regards, Bodo

BTW: It's only a workaround, the drivers are still highly buggy and that should be fixed.

BTW2: There is an issue with that 2 X servers in parallel: If I switch from nVidia back to X or console, and than back to nVidia, the nVidia driver seems to have problems restoring it's graphic mode. This is just another bug ;-)
Old 03-03-04, 04:14 PM   #6
koerk

Hi there,

I've recognized that problem with the graphics/console mode, too. I'm just wondering why nvidia isn't able to produce a stable release of their driver or to fix the most common problems - which have been reported by a respectable, huge group of their consumers (...)

This forum is an evidence for their bad linux support. Well, ok. I should be happy that they're supporting it at all. And I am. But they could do better than that ...
koerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-04, 10:44 PM   #7
bothie

Default Here is a link to the promised HOWTO

It took a bit longer for me to find the time, but now it is online ;-)

http://bodo-thiesen-server.dyndns.or...oot-howto.html

Special thanks goes to koerk - his post caused an email notification which reminded me to write this HOWTO.

Regards, Bodo