Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-27-04, 02:58 PM   #1
andybelfort

Default some not so simple problems (i think)

Hi there,

All my life I was a mac user , i have no linux experience. This week my son asked me to install Linux in his PC. I downloaded Red Hat 9.0 , 3 iso. Everything appeared to be right, i burned the iso cd and so on.....when i got to the installation process, the first error, well the graphic installation won't perform, as if the monitor stops responding.So i tried the text installation. Ok i've installed it.

Now when i'm trying to load it when it ends the same thing happens.I'm unable even to enter in the linux prompt. Well the pc is a Pentium 4 2.6 , 512 ram and it's with nVIDIA Geforce FX 5200. A guy at my office told me that linux don't have drivers for this card , is it right ????

Thanks

Andy
andybelfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-04, 03:03 PM   #2
Andy Mecham
l33t master

No, there are drivers for your card. Please visit http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d...1.0-5336.html. There are full installation instructions in the README.

--andy
Old 01-27-04, 05:39 PM   #3
andybelfort

Thanks andy fot the website, this link is not working but i 've entered the nVIDIA site, download driver , clicked on the ia32. Ok I'm reading the "read me" file in the site, well the problem is that there it tells me to exit X , the problem is that i'm even unable to run the X. What should i do ? Sorry if i'm being stupid or something but it's my first time with Linux.

Thanks

Andy
Old 01-27-04, 05:57 PM   #4
Anthaus

If X doesn't start perhaps you selected the incorrect video driver, but you're good to go anyway.
Run the installer, follow the instructions and modify the XF86Config file at /etc/X11/ with "vi"

"vi" is the linux console command for "edit".

vi XF86Config

I suppose you've never used vi, so here's a quick how-to.

Login as root (if you forgot the password, reformat and reinstall).

Make a backup copy of the XF86Config file just in case. Do the following from a command line:

cp XF86Config XF86Config-backup

Enter the "vi" command and BEFORE making any modification, press the INSERT key ONCE. You will be able to move the cursor freely. Make the modifications according to the README.

Once you're done, press ESC

After that press the "w" key. This will save the changes.
Finally, press the "q" key to exit.

Take you're time to make the changes. Recheck two or three times (print the guide if you must).

Once you've finished, enter the following command to go directly to the root account:

startx

Or you may enter the following command to go to the login screen:

init 5

If something went wrong, you may replace the modified XF86Config file with the following expression:

cp XF86Config-backup XF86Config

You may come back and post (as attachment) the modified file if you need further help.

Cheers!

Edit:

The most frequent downfall is the lack of kernel-sources. You will need them for the installer to work.

Everytime you change your kernel, you have to reinstall the drivers. But the XF86Config thingie should be done only once.

All the process must be done as root, even running the installer.

You can run the installer as follows.

sh nvidia-installer.whatever.sh
./ nvidia-installer.whatever.sh

If you can't run it, try the following:

chmod +x nvidia-installer.whatever.sh

This will make the script executable. Try again.

If everything fails, login at nvnews and ask away!!!

Last edited by Anthaus; 01-27-04 at 06:03 PM.
Anthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-04, 08:55 AM   #5
andybelfort

Thanks , but here goes a few questions

By going to the installation you mean that i choose the rescue mode right ??? It says then to type chroot /mnt/sysimage so that i can be root right ?

Well ok, now other question, if i'm using microsoft windows now and downloaded the driver in it, how can i use the nvidia driver if it's in a fat32 partition ??
Old 01-28-04, 10:49 AM   #6
blata

first are you able to get into linux's comand prompt (looks like DOS with a loging prompt)?

Assuming you can at this point type

vi /etc/inittab (the inishalization file)

find the line that looks like this. hit the i key then change this

id:5:initdefault:
to this
id:3:initdefault:
now hit Esc key then the :wq keys and enter. The : is importent

that will stop linux from trying to boot to X when all is done and working you can change the 5 back to a 3 and it will boot into X.

next:

type this as root since you had to be root to edit inittab I am assuming you are loged in as root

mount /dev/hda* /mnt/cdrom
(the * represent a number from 1 - n number of partions. I assume that since you are duel booting the box winblows was installed on the c partion. in this case winblows partion would be 1. therfor /dev/hda* would equile /dev/hda1. if you are useing two harddrives then again I assume the winblows is on C: and linux is on D: drive in this case again winblows would be /dev/hda1 and your linux drive would be /dev/hd(b-d)(1-n) depending on witch ide chanel and hwo many partions are one that drive. (previus rantings are information.

this assumes there is a cdrom forlder in the /mnt folder. At this point it doesn't matter where you mount the drive just as long as it is in an empty directory.

next cd into /mnt/cdrom and vwala there should be your winblows hardrive ready to be manipulated.

find your NVIDIA*.run file using cd to ChangeDirectory and ls to LiSt the contents of said directory.

once youhave found the file tipe
mv NVIDA(thit the tab key to autofill the file name) /opt
that will move the file to the /opt directory ( a convient dir for instalion of extra file and programs) now

cd /opt
bash NVIDIA(tab key)

since this is probly about as clear as mud to you feel free to contact me and I can awnser your questions more percisly. Send me an email from my profile link.

Windows,a
32 bit graphical interface for a
16 bit patch to an
8 bit operating system internally coded for a
4 bit processor written by a
2 bit company that can't stand
1 bit of competition

Last edited by blata; 01-28-04 at 10:57 AM.
blata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-04, 11:26 AM   #7
andybelfort

Thanks blata for your support

I've not already done what you said me

Well , this is what i did.

I entered in linux rescue in the installation from red hat 9 cause i'm unable to load this linux prompt you were talking about , after my linux loads my monitor appears to be with no response , as if it was displugged from the pc, it happened to in installing by the graphical installation , i've installed it with the text installation.

Well , as I said I entered in linux prompt, changed the root to /mnt/sysimage as the program tells me to obtain root. I mounted my hardrive mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt and executed the sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run . Ok the installation program screen appeared but with an error message. It said that i was running an X server and that the drive could not be installed by this X server i had to quit it. Well how can i do it ????? Editting this init file you told me ???????????

Thanks

Andy Belfort
Old 01-28-04, 11:52 AM   #8
Anthaus

You should be able to load normally. The rescue mode is overkill.

You already told us that you can't get the X to work (no graphical login). That means that at least you should get the console login. Now, if you can't even get that to work there's something really wrong with your installation and the nvidia drivers are the least of your worries.

What do you get when starting linux? Errors? Text login?

Old 01-28-04, 12:29 PM   #9
andybelfort

Thanks all you guys from the background , I`m wrting this message now in Linux.

Cheers

Andy Belfort
Old 01-28-04, 12:51 PM   #10
blata

glad to here this. On a personal note. If you son asked you to put Linux on HIS computer why are you the one trying to get it working? :-D Now you will know how to get around in LInux but he will still be a fish out of water. I say this with extreem humer as I find it exalent that you both are will to delve into Linux.

Windows,a
32 bit graphical interface for a
16 bit patch to an
8 bit operating system internally coded for a
4 bit processor written by a
2 bit company that can't stand
1 bit of competition
blata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-04, 01:14 PM   #11
andybelfort

LOL.......Well , because i`m the one who does this stuff here at home, one school friend probably told him that with linux he could hack the White House or the swiss bank LOL
Old 01-28-04, 03:49 PM   #12
Anthaus

I'm usually not picky about other people's opinions, but with the current MyDoom scandal it's more important than ever to stress out that Linux is NOT a rogue OS. As if Windows could not be used to stage a cyber-attack.

On the other hand, it is more difficult to catch a virus if you surf from a linux box