Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-01-02, 12:27 PM   #13
Harnagel
Lurker

Why are the numbers at Anandtech so different than [H]ardOCP? Anand pretty much has the p4 spanking the xp2800 hard. The only difference I saw in test set up was that the P4 used RDRAM, but that can't make that huge of a difference.

The other problem is that on Anand's NForce2 review the scores were identical to the VIA KT333 chipset.
Harnagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-02, 12:47 PM   #14
Richthofen

simple answer...
Anand ****ed it up
They used only 1 DDR module not 2 which in the end means they tested the nforce2 with 64 Bit interface and not the dual channel interface called twinbank.
Richthofen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-02, 12:56 PM   #15
Harnagel
Lurker

Yeah, I guess I missed that when I read the config. What was he thinking, is he just trying to put bad light on Nvidia for some reason, or is he just plain dumb?

I went to Tomshardware and he had results similar to those posted at [H]ardOCP.
Harnagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-02, 02:24 PM   #16
zoolap
GeHorse Ti4200

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by saturnotaku
He was responding to this question:
Sorry, my mistake.
Old 10-01-02, 02:57 PM   #17
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

No problem. Just wanted to clear up that confusion, lest the flame throwers be busted out. And that'll happen over my toasted body.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-02, 03:38 PM   #18
jnd3
Sword Saint

Send a message via AIM to jnd3 Send a message via Yahoo to jnd3

Quote:
Originally posted by Richthofen
They used only 1 DDR module not 2 which in the end means they tested the nforce2 with 64 Bit interface and not the dual channel interface called twinbank.
Hmmm. So when I get my nforce2 board in the near future, I'd be better off purchasing two sticks of 256MB DDR as opposed to a single 512MB stick. I guess that's not all bad, since Price Watch shows all 256MB DDR sticks to be less than half the price of their 512MB big brothers...more bang for the buck, oh yeah.

Nforce2, NV30, and an AthlonXP, oh my. It'll definitely make the wait worth my while.

Cheers,
JND
jnd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-02, 06:48 PM   #19
thcdru2k

Send a message via ICQ to thcdru2k Send a message via AIM to thcdru2k

the rdram p4 system really does have that much of an advantage with its huge memory bandwidth, but due to cost and logical reasons intel seems to be phasing away from rdram and moving to ddr.

11118 3DMarks
thcdru2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-02, 09:33 PM   #20
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by thcdru2k
the rdram p4 system really does have that much of an advantage with its huge memory bandwidth, but due to cost and logical reasons intel seems to be phasing away from rdram and moving to ddr.
they've said as much before. we'll see if they stick to their guns this time, or are just trying to look better in the eyes of consumers by dropping RDRAM.

Old 10-02-02, 01:48 AM   #21
Ascario

Quote:
Originally posted by thcdru2k
and on top of that, via's kt400 isn't showing any improvement at all over the kt333. pretty sad. look's like via's days are numbered coupled with their faulty agp8x implementation. they're gonna be value market motherboard chipset for amd instead of the high end.
I wish nVidia's partners thought the same way. So far it looks like the nForce˛ is going the "value" way again, just like the nForce1. What's wrong with those motherboard makers, don't they know a decent chip... err, platform processor when they see one?
* Abit is basicly bringing out a board that says "made by ECS"
* Asus' motherboard is feature packed but will it overclock? And how much will it cost? Asus is expensive!
* The Epox solutions are practicly naked (no raid, no s-ata, ...)
* MSI... well msi always goes for the cheapest feature rich board
* Apart from leadtek (who's board probably will be as flaky as its first attempt at an nForce board), all the rest has never even had experience with building an nForce and that's a bad point to start building something decent IMHO!

Oh well, at least the Epox board will be overclockable, but if they put RAID and stuff on an i845G board, why not on the nForce board?
Why doesn't Abit put out a MAX-series motherboard around the nForce˛ chipset (and call it AN7-MAX or something)? The MCP-T is just begging for it: soundstorm, dualnet, firewire, usb 2.0, ... it's all integrated! No need for any more crappy VIA chips for the firewire or USB 2.0 ports.

I will never understand these marketing people, they just don't make sence.
Old 10-02-02, 01:50 AM   #22
thcdru2k

Send a message via ICQ to thcdru2k Send a message via AIM to thcdru2k

wonder why nvidia won't take matthers in to their own hands and just release their own stuff, like nvidia reference videocards, nvidia reference motherboards.

just like ati releases their own videocards without the use of third-party manufacturers.

11118 3DMarks
thcdru2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-02, 01:51 AM   #23
Richthofen

@jnd3

"
Hmmm. So when I get my nforce2 board in the near future, I'd be better off purchasing two sticks of 256MB DDR as opposed to a single 512MB stick. I guess that's not all bad, since Price Watch shows all 256MB DDR sticks to be less than half the price of their 512MB big brothers...more bang for the buck, oh yeah.
"

You better do that.
The nForce2 has the same memory interface like the nforce1.
You can use 1 module but then you will have a 64 Bit memory interface.
The better option is to use 2 memory modules (to make sure everything runs fine buy 2 identical modules - for instance same brand, same size, same frequency) because then you will have the dual channel interface running which in the end means 128 Bit. Intel is going to use that same technology too for their next DDR chipet and that means Rambus has no future on P4 plattforms.
If you buy a nforce2 board, make sure you put the 2 modules in the memory port 1 and 2 because otherwise you will only have 64 Bit.
You can check that in that bios screen which appears when booting your computer (the screen where you can see the cpu type, memory size, IDE interface (UDMA for instance) and IRQ settings. The bios screen gives you the information which memory interface currently is running 64 bit or 128 bit.
Richthofen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-02, 04:52 AM   #24
zoolap
GeHorse Ti4200

Quote:
Originally posted by jnd3

Hmmm. So when I get my nforce2 board in the near future, I'd be better off purchasing two sticks of 256MB DDR as opposed to a single 512MB stick............

Nforce2, NV30, and an AthlonXP, oh my. It'll definitely make the wait worth my while.
JND
I've got 2 sticks of PC2100 - 256mb ram. I really can't be bothered to buy PC2700 or higher at the moment as this will just increase the cost for me.

I wanna new PC soon - problem is I don't have a decent graphics card to put in a new machine. I could get a Geforce 4 Ti card and i'd gt decent gaming (with nforce 2) straight away, but if i don't buy such a card now I may have enough to get an nv30 (fingers crossed). Just means I may have to wait with a geforce 2mx .

P.S. My machine at the moment is a P2-450, 512mb, 40 gb HDD, Geforce 2MX......