Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-01-02, 03:51 AM   #1
Andy Mecham
l33t master

Default Mandrake 9.0 driver installation

Because Mandrake 9.0 binary RPMs are not available in the current driver set, you will need to use the SRPM or source tarball package to install the driver. You *CANNOT* use the Mandrake 8.2 RPMS. They won't work.

To do this, you will also need to have the kernel-source RPM provided on your Mandrake CD installed on your system. If you don't have the CDs, it's available on your nearest Mandrake mirror site. If you're not sure if you have the kernel-source package installed, you can check by running

'rpm -qa | grep kernel'

and looking at the output. If you don't see "kernel-source-version" (where 'version' matches the kernel you're running) in any of the packages, you don't have it installed.

Further steps for rebuilding the SRPM or tarball package can be found in the README.

Thanks!

--andy
Old 10-02-02, 09:57 AM   #2
Oswin

Default can't seem to figure out if my installation is successful

Hi,

I tried to install the drivers on mandrake but i'm not sure whether i'm successful or not... I downloaded the tarballs and i did the "make install" thing and edited the XF86Config-4 file like the instructions said...but when i used drakconf to check my hardware, it says "custom" on the graphics card section. is this correct? Somehow i think i messed up somewhere...cause i can only select 16bpp for my desktop....

Can anyone help me out? If you haven't notice, i'm a newbie at this linux stuff....
Old 10-02-02, 10:06 AM   #3
volt

I'm assuming you are not logging in as root

Go to the terminal and type:
su -
(enter password for root)

then:
modprobe NVdriver

This should echo if the nvidia module is loaded. Hope this helps
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-02, 04:12 PM   #4
bwkaz

Oswin -- since the nVidia driver is closed-source, drakconf doesn't have a clue what it is. So the "custom" setting there should be OK. The way to check if it's all working is look at lsmod, making sure NVdriver is listed, and to look at glxinfo, making sure "direct rendering" is set to yes. You can also look at xdpyinfo and check that the GLX, NV-GLX, and NV-CONTROL extensions are present.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote