Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-23-04, 09:04 AM   #1
activemind

Default nVidia GeForce FX Go5***?!?

I'm looking at buying a very high end notebook PC as a desktop replacement. The one I'm currently looking at, HP Pavilion ZD7000 series, comes with three different video card options, they are:

64MB nVidia GeForce FX Go5200
64MB nVidia GeForce FX Go5700
128MB nVidia GeForce FX Go5700

The system is a Pentium 4 based system so I won't have to worry about the flaws in the AMD64 driver. I know that nVidia doesn't openly support drivers for any of their "Go" product line. Does anyone know whether or not the nVidia drivers work but simply not officially? Possibly their are other sources that I could look at to possibly get a driver from, HP doesn't offer any Linux drivers?

Thanks,
activemind

P.S. - Here is a link to the SPEC sheet for the notebook I'm looking at:
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...null&tab=specs
activemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-04, 09:14 PM   #2
brianstretch

Default Re: nVidia GeForce FX Go5***?!?

Actually, I'm able to play UT2004 under 64-bit Fedora Core 2 on my Athlon 64 desktop with the hacked nVidia drivers from minion.de. Stability vastly improved with the current kernel build (based on 2.6.7-rc3) and UT2004 revision, I don't think I've had a lockup since they came out after many, MANY hours of play. No kernel recompile is needed, apparently the 4KSTACKS thing is only an issue for obsolete 32-bit CPUs . So, from that perspective, the Athlon 64's are clearly superior.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get it working on my HP zv5000z Athlon 64 notebook. I don't know what the deal is. Maybe it freaks out at the 1680x1050 res screen. Mind you, this has an antique GeForce 440 Go that HP stupidly configured (way to cripple a state-of-the-art notebook HP! How much did Intel pay you to do that?), so the driver ought to be able to handle it... unless I missed something, which is entirely possible. It uses the nVidia nForce3 chipset too.

Of course, you'll want a GeForce 5650 or 5700 Mobile, which you can't get in an Athlon 64 notebook in America yet (overseas, yes, but not here), so your best bet is probably still the ZD7000 for now. You'll just have to tolerate the inferior CPU. Or, wait and see what everyone comes out with for the back-to-school shopping season. Ask HP when they're going to build an Athlon 64 notebook with 128MB 5700 and 17" widescreen.
brianstretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-04, 09:25 PM   #3
brianstretch

D'oh! Now I remember, you have to add

alias char-major-195 nvidia

to /etc/modprobe.conf manually, probably because the installer is still looking for /etc/modules.conf. Now it works. Yaay! I'm copying UT2004 over from my desktop, we'll see how that goes.
brianstretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-04, 12:29 AM   #4
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by activemind
I'm looking at buying a very high end notebook PC as a desktop replacement. The one I'm currently looking at, HP Pavilion ZD7000 series, comes with three different video card options, they are:

64MB nVidia GeForce FX Go5200
64MB nVidia GeForce FX Go5700
128MB nVidia GeForce FX Go5700

The system is a Pentium 4 based system so I won't have to worry about the flaws in the AMD64 driver. I know that nVidia doesn't openly support drivers for any of their "Go" product line. Does anyone know whether or not the nVidia drivers work but simply not officially?
All of the above are listed as supported in the readme. My suggestion is stay away from the 5200 card, go bigger or smaller. The 128mb 5700 will perform very nicely.. however if you do not plan to make use of the speed of the 3D card (no games / modeling, etc...) then the 5200's cost advantage could be worth the slow performance. Make sure the cost difference is significant...
Old 06-24-04, 08:10 AM   #5
activemind

Thanks guys! I'll give you a definite when I recieve my PC. They say July 8th, I'm expecting later! Gotta love those PC vendors!

- activemind
activemind is offline   Reply With Quote