Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-31-04, 06:42 AM   #1
Boltondave

Default FX5700 problem

This is my first post in this forum, so please accept my apologies if I miss anything out.

I've just bought an Xfx 256MB FX5700 video card, and I can't get WindowMaker to work fully. After installing the 5336 drivers downloaded from the Nvidia website, and making the relevant alterations to the XF86Config-4 file, I'm left with a blue wallpaper and some partly-drawn frames in the top-left corner of the desktop.

The only way I can use this card is if I use the 'vesa' driver, which gives me an 800x600 desktop in X.

I'm currently using Mandrake 9.1, with its default 2.4.21 kernel. I can't get the video cards BIOS number from "/proc/driver/nvidia/cards/0" because the "/proc/driver/nvidia" directory tree doesn't currently exist (this could be because I'm using the 'vesa' driver, but I'm not experienced enough to know if this is a right assumption or not). The CPU is an AMD XP2000+. Having used an Asus GF2 GTS before now, I know about the AMD bug, and I have the "mem=nopentium" setting in my fstab entry. The motherboard is an Abit KG-7 lite, with the most recent "DS" BIOS update.

I've supplied the logfile of XFree when I was trying to get the 'nv' driver to work, as opposed to the 'vesa' driver.

Can anyone give any help or ideas?
Attached Files
File Type: log xfree86.0.log (25.7 KB, 151 views)
Boltondave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-04, 03:44 PM   #2
Boltondave

Talking

Problem solved.

I had to do the following:

1. Edit the /etc/modules.devfs file, altering the "NVdriver" (near the end of the file) to "nvidia"
2. Check/edit the /etc/modules.conf file, to make sure "nvidia" was specified.
3. Edit the XF86Config-4 file, but making sure the driver is set as "nvidia", not "nv".
4. Check and adjust the monitor frequencies. Not essential in my case though.
5. Run:
sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run --add-this-kernel
... to make a new installer called "NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1-custom.run". This is then executed in the normal manner.

Also, I have to specify "Option" "NvAgp" "0", otherwise X refuses to start.

Easy, no?
Boltondave is offline   Reply With Quote