Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-30-04, 05:45 PM   #1
Electrode
cogito ergo doleo

Send a message via ICQ to Electrode
Default 5600U AGP w/ 1 monitor, 5200 PCI w/ 2 monitors, 2.6.2-rc2, 5336: X is slow, unstable

I'm trying to set up a 3-monitor display using two video cards. I have the middle display hooked up to my GeForce FX5600 Ultra AGP card, and the 2 smaller monitors flanking it connected to a GeForce FX5200 PCI card.

Now, I did manage to get this setup to work, but for some reason it was extremely slow, and very unstable. Closing xawtv could crash it, and console switching could bring the whole system down. I am using Xinerama to handle the displays, since I didn't think Twinview could correctly handle having its displays seperated by another connected to a different card.

Is there some way to improve performance and stability here, or am I out of luck?

Important info:
Motherboard: Tyan Thunder K8W
CPU: 2x AMD Opteron 240
RAM: 2 GB
Video: Gainward GeForce FX 5600 Ultra AGP, Apollo GeForce FX 5200 PCI
Capture: Prolink Pixelview XCapture (cx88 based)
Sound, LAN: Integrated
Distro: LFS CVS from a few months back
Kernel: 2.6.2-rc2 i386
XFree86: 4.3.99.12
Nvidia driver: 5336

/etc/X11/XF86Config and /var/log/XFree86.log.0 are attached.
Attached Files
File Type: txt xf86config.txt (4.4 KB, 198 views)
Electrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-04, 05:46 PM   #2
Electrode
cogito ergo doleo

Log
Attached Files
File Type: txt xf86log.txt (46.8 KB, 164 views)
Old 01-30-04, 06:52 PM   #3
ipower

Smile slow starting X

I had a similar situation. I was boggled about the solution and had nearly given up but then I found what I thought might be solutio and sure enough, it was. If you add the option

Option "NvAGP" "0"

to your XF86Config it should work. It worked for me. I had tried everything. Including

Option "IgnoreDisplayDevices" "DFP, TV"

that one did not work for me. The "NvAGP" worked great. Try it. If it works for you then great!
ipower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-04, 07:48 AM   #4
Electrode
cogito ergo doleo

That didn't help.

Also, it should be noted that X's CPU usage is very high. As I'm typing this message, it's at 33.6%, and when switching workspaces or moving a window, it hits 99.9%.

EDIT: When I removed the Option NvAGP 0 line from the AGP card's section, while leaving them in the PCI card's sections, it worked much better. Some things are still sluggish, but for the most part performance has been significantly improved. I guess it's not going to get any better than this.

Last edited by Electrode; 01-31-04 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-05-04, 03:33 PM   #5
Electrode
cogito ergo doleo

Just wanted to make one more update. I managed to get this configuration working PERFECTLY by making one minor change: I disabled Xinerama. Now X only uses 0.3% CPU and is just as responsive as with a single monitor.

Now I should try a quad monitor setup.
Old 02-05-04, 09:36 PM   #6
squarooticus

Your setup is almost identical to mine, yet I can't get my second (PCI) screen to run any faster than 1-2 frames per second with full motion video, and it generally seems to have very poor 2-D performance: it seems like it's running in PIO mode, with moving windows or repainting my background being very, very slow. Did you do anything special to configure your BIOS? kernel? XFree86? Can you perhaps post your XFree86 config? For that matter, can you try playing a DVD on each of your screens and tell me whether it plays at full speed or not?

Cheers,
Kyle
squarooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-04, 09:48 PM   #7
Electrode
cogito ergo doleo

No, there's really nothing special involved, unless you consider the fact that the PCI card is in a PCI-X slot on a dedicated bus. Perhaps you have a bandwidth issue on your hands.

I've attached my current XF86Config, in case it proves helpful.
Attached Files
File Type: txt xf86config.txt (4.4 KB, 192 views)
Old 02-05-04, 09:55 PM   #8
squarooticus

Quote:
Originally posted by Electrode
No, there's really nothing special involved, unless you consider the fact that the PCI card is in a PCI-X slot on a dedicated bus. Perhaps you have a bandwidth issue on your hands.
This is definitely not the case, because I don't have this problem with the open source nv driver: it therefore has to be a software issue, but it's possible it could be a problem with the nvidia driver not dealing properly with a BIOS setting, or having some wacky XF86Config option I haven't set. Andy said last week he would look into it, but I haven't heard back yet.

Cheers,
Kyle
squarooticus is offline   Reply With Quote